PDA

View Full Version : OT (sort of): It's the little things...

BobWarfield
07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Finally loctited the handle bars on my mill and drill press that kept unscrewing. It's amazing how much this improves the feel of the machines! I went on to loctite the bolts holding the handwheel "spin bars" on and a few other areas that tend to work loose and shouldn't.

Sometimes we get so busy with a fussy project we forget the little things. I try to spend my first day in the shop after finishing a project looking at the little things. It starts with sweeping up all the chips, cleaning the machines, lubing them well, re-tramming, etc., etc., and goes on to other little improvements. Color coding wrenches, loctiting handles, organizing cutters or stock, etc.

This is probably too much organization for most folks, but I keep two notepads in the shop. One is a list of these little things that need to be done (pilot's call it a "squawk list") as well as a second "grocery list" of the little supplies and tools to remember to get. After I get done sweeping, oiling, and tramming, I go check the list to find a few more things to do.

Some nights after work I am too tired to do serious shop work, so I'll do this sort of thing as well. It's very therapeutic.

My shop is still a mess most of the time, but if not for this I would shortly have rendered it completely unusable! Now if I could just train myself to start every shop session with an hour of this, the shop might be clean.

Naaaahhhhhh!

Best,

BW

Millman
07-20-2006, 02:57 PM
A loose handle is not a good thing, some of those little annoyances take your mind off more important things...like safety.

CCWKen
07-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I try to spend my first day in the shop after finishing a project looking at the little things. It starts with sweeping up all the chips, cleaning the machines, lubing them well, re-tramming, etc., etc., and goes on to other little improvements. Color coding wrenches, loctiting handles, organizing cutters or stock, etc.

You have way too much time between projects Bob. :D

BobWarfield
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
You have way too much time between projects Bob. :D

Nah, I don't. I'm just a world-class procrastinator when it comes to getting any real work done!

BW

wierdscience
07-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Keep that bottle of loctite handy,if those knobs are anything like the ones on a B-port head they will be loose again next week:D

The one on the mill at work averaged being loose once in every two weeks or so.One day I got fed up with it and drilled the sucker for a 1/16 spring pin,boy did that feel good:D

It's a good thing you reminded me thou,everything at work needs belts,oil,way lube and a few million other things.

Wareagle
07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Sometimes I think I spend too much time doing those types of things and not enough doing project work. I don't have the neatest shop by any stretch, but things have a place, and I try to keep them put away so I don't spend time hunting for that ___. Keeping the shop clean is a priority, so every time I make a mess, it is cleaned up before I turn out the lights each day/night. But in the end it is all very rewarding to me, and I guess that is what counts.

CCWKen
07-20-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm not a pig nor like a sty but most of my projects can linger for days, sometimes weeks. When I turn the lights on in the morning, my tools are right where I can find them. Sitting where I left 'em. :D I can make more chips, grind or whatever without the fear of getting the place dirty. ;)

I do clean up when I finish a stage but when my stomach says it's time to quit, the lights go out.

A.K. Boomer
07-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Iv got a good system, i generally dont clean my shop till i bruise my shin on something:rolleyes:

Evan
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm working on cleaning up my garage shop. I do it on a regular basis, at least once every few years...

BobWarfield
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
One other tip that helps me keep things a little neater (derived from a Machine Shop Trade Secrets tip) is when I am looking for something, anything I touch gets put away as soon as I touch it. If a surface is too littered to tell if the thing I want is there, it gets cleaned off while I'm looking.

Every rack, wall system, partitioned tray, or other box I find that seems cheap gets bought and put to use.

Best,

BW

Millman
07-22-2006, 03:10 AM
[[ anything I touch gets put away as soon as I touch it]] Come on, Bob, don't you have those days that you pick it up, and wonder "What the hell was I going to do with that"? Then you make some chips...but in the back of your mind you're thinking, "What the hell was I going to do with that"? Maybe it's just ME getting old?