PDA

View Full Version : A newbie saying hi.....

slowtwitch
07-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi folks, My name is Pete and I have been bitten by the machining bug. For the past couple of years I've been thinking of getting a vertical mill. I would drool over milling machines in catalogs, the Internet and Ebay, but , the budget/wife said different.

Anyway, I was searching Ebay, when I came across this.....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slowtwitch/Mill2.jpg

$150.00, buy me now and only 30 miles from me. It also came with this rotary table....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slowtwitch/Rotary.jpg

Well, me and my boys got this mill into the basement and I cleaned it up. What I thought was rust, was actually old dried up cosmoline. Anyway, here is a shot of it in it's new home...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slowtwitch/Mill.jpg

I'll be working mostly with aluminum, so i think this mill will do the job :D

sidegrinder
07-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice score slowtwitch--it cleaned up real nice. Unfortunately for your budget/wife, the bug you speak of is actually a progressive disease! Better get the catalogs back out and start drooling all over again. I see a new set of endmills, boring head, flycutters, milling vice, clamping set...in your future. Have fun!

Wareagle
07-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you made a good catch!

Like sidewinder says, the expense is on going. Tooling, vises, blocks, clamps, and the list goes on, and it all adds up!.

I feel your pain on the budget (as we all do!). My advice would be to shop around for your stuff. There are several businesses to buy your stuff over the 'net, and many of them run sales quite often. Ebay can be another great source.

Crank that little gem up and start making chips!

john hobdeclipe
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the zoo. Put on your high boots and jump right in.

That looks like a good deal for the money!

I've managed to fill my shop with some quality woodworking and metalworking equipment simply by patiently watching local sales, auctions, estate sales, etc. and knowing when to jump. Often pawn shops can be a good source for hand tools and measuring tools. I always watch the local auction ads, and have picked up some nice toys at minimal expense.

Have fun.

JRouche
07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Outstanding! I love to see another example of gettin it done. Welcome to the forum, you should have a great time here.

You will also have a great time with your boys working with the mill, they are real fortunate kids them boys of yours, reminds me of my brother-in-law.

Best post I have seen today.....JRouche

slowtwitch
07-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks everyone :)

I've had the mill for about 2 weeks now and I've already bought a 6" vise, a clamp set and a set of collets. I bought it as a set thru Shars, for $130.00 plus shipping. It's imported stuff, but should do just fine for my needs.

I also bought about 15 lbs of assorted end mills, center drills, etc at a yard sale for $5.00 :D Some of the mills where never used, still covered in wax.

At the end of the month, I'm headed for an auction. Sadly, it's a machine shop going out of business :( We'll see what kind of goodies I can pick up.

As for my sons, JRouche, I am a very lucky man. I have three boys...no make that men (32yrs, 25yrs and 23yrs old), lol. They aren't to interested in my hobbies and interests, but, they don't hesitate to help out the old man when he needs it :D

pete

sparker
07-21-2006, 10:09 PM
you could also get reground endmills and drills at a lesser cost. by the way nice find.

JRouche
07-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Oooops, didnt know you were of the escalated or advanced stages of experience :D

Thought the boys were younger... Still, good of them to pitch in and my original still holds, welcome. JRouche

Millman
07-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Welcome Slowtwitch, you have twitches too? Shars is not that bad.You can create alot of nice things with that mill. My little Griz. can make some amazing cuts. Take your time, adjust what you can, and have a blast!

LarryinLV
07-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Welcome aboard. You will find a variety of characters here; I don't post much but enjoy "listening" to some of the robust discussions and opinions.

I see that you've spent more on tooling than the machine cost - excellent.... Each time I start a new project there seems to be "just one more tool I need" that drives the cost of the project to about trilple what it could/should have been.

Zuesdawg
07-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I see that you've spent more on tooling than the machine cost - excellent.... Each time I start a new project there seems to be "just one more tool I need" that drives the cost of the project to about trilple what it could/should have been.

And to think just getting my machine running is killing me :D I aint even got into tooling yet :eek:

John Stevenson
07-24-2006, 03:48 AM
Hi Pete, Welcome to the forum.

These are nice starter machine, quite forgiving and reasonable accurate.

One disadvantage that no one has pointed out yet is that they loose position to the work if you have to move the column so it's best to plan the job out if you have to swap tools during the job.
Worse case is a large drill going to a short end mill.

I bought one when they first came out and did quite a few mods to it, Heidenhain DRO, DC variable speed toothed belt drive, power feed on the table and quill, plus other bits.
I actually spent more on the add ons than the mill new :rolleyes:

It was worth it though as I was making steerable mirrors for laser cutters and they had to be right.
At the time I had no space for a larger machine and this one just fitted the bill.

slowtwitch
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Hi Guys,

I bought this mill primarily to help me with my other hobby, rebuilding old VW's. I'm currently have 2 in the works.

I'm currently machining manifold adaptors, to fit a set of motorcyle throttle bodies, onto the engine. The engine is actually a porsche motor, that will be clearanced (with the mill) for a longer stroke crank. Another area where this mill will come handy, is when I balance my pistons. Instead of a drill press, to remove metal, I can now mill out the proper amount.

I also have a few more ideas floating in my head, that will definitely need the services of the mill and I'll probably ask a ton of questions on this board for advise :D

pete

pcarpenter
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Congratulations on the mill find. I would think that the rotary table alone would make what you got a bargain. It looks (by shape) to be an actual Bridgeport horizontal RT.

On the perennial round column mill thing... I have a knee mill now and had a mini-mill with a dovetail column, so never had to deal with the problem. However, at one point, I had considered a round-column mill-drill and so am familiar with the concern in that the head can (and probably does) move either direction when adjusting up and down.

I just wanted to brainstorm for a minute, though. I have always wondered if you could put some sort of long "key" on the column and a keyway in the head clamp bore that would minimize the tendancy of the head to move laterally during vertical adjustment. I don't know about the tolerances of the rack on the column or its keyways, but maybe even that could be locked down and or a gib added to prevent this tendancy to move laterally.

I just recently acquired a Rockwell/Delta toolmaker grinder with a round column and it has such a key that normally prevents lateral movement. If you want to move the "head" laterally, instead of rotating it on the column, you loosen a large column nut and turn the whole column.

Even this idea may be less than perfect, but it might be a way around the limitations that come with a round-column mill/drill.

Paul