PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of tool grinder

mikem
07-21-2006, 08:37 AM
When sharpening tool bits on a tool grinder like my HF, is it OK to sharpen on the outside of the cup wheel or is it only supposed to be used on the front edge? It looks like the grit is finer on the front edge of the wheel. Do diamond wheels have grit on both surfaces or just the front? Thanks--Mike.

Mcgyver
07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
is this on a tool & cutter grinder or bench grinder or something else? the side of a cup wheel is what's normally used, but i think of that being on a T&C grinder or surface grinder, so are we talking the same thing? "side" can be a bit ambiguous with the cup shape, a cup wheel is a cone shape- if you placed it on a table, large end down, it's the surface in contact with the table that you cut with. With diamond wheels I understand 1) the dust from grinding carbide is toxic so you want an extraction system, 2) don't use on ferrous, it absorbs the diamond (carbon) 3) you need to keep the wheel wet, even with some sort of water drip system. maybe those with more diamond knowledge can expand on the last two

mikem
07-21-2006, 04:29 PM
This is the same Harbor Freight grinder that several of the board members have. It has adjustable cast iron tables on each end of the motor with 6" wheels that have metal center and are attached with 4 screws. Using your example, I should use the surface that I would call the end. Thanks--Mike.

BillH
07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Mike you can use both the ends and the side to get the desired cut you want. McGyver is talking about a cup wheel, not what the HF grinder uses.

CCWKen
07-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, now I'm confused. What grinder do you have? My HF tool grinder came with cup wheels. It specifically states in the DIRECTIONS not to use the radial face of the wheels to grind. :rolleyes:

BillH
07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Cup wheels are those wierd looking cup shaped wheels for those really expensive tool grinders.
THe HF grinder uses type "1" wheels, the true cup wheels are type 5, the flaring cups are type "11".
Look at the Enco catalog. The HF grinder type 1 wheels are metal backed arent they? Been awhile since I've used mine, it's bolted into the arbor.
You know Ken, your probably right about not using the outside of the wheel although the table is there to support the tools to be ground.
Enco doesnt even sell the correct wheels for that HF grinder, the ones that will fit are the green wheels for carbide. I had to go to J&L to get the white aluminum Oxide wheels. That is my biggest complaint about that grinder, hard to find the right wheels. Although to be fair, it is called a carbide grinder... Sure, no problem finding carbide wheels.

sparker
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
the diamond wheels I am familiar with only have the "grit" on the face of the wheel. and water is good enough to use to cool down the drill, just dip the drill into a cup of water before it gets too hot from grinding on it.

BillH
07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
the diamond wheels I am familiar with only have the "grit" on the face of the wheel. and water is good enough to use to cool down the drill, just dip the drill into a cup of water before it gets too hot from grinding on it.
Im a little confused on those diamond wheels, can you use them on HSS? I've heard before no, and from others a yes?

sparker
07-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I wouldnt, diamond wheels are used for grinding on carbide. I guess you could but why spend $80-100 dollars on a wheel for hss

mikem
07-21-2006, 11:46 PM
It is a model 46727. Try this link. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=46727&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Mike W
07-21-2006, 11:54 PM
MSC has aluminum oxide 6" metal backed wheels. I bought one wheel from a local supply. I had to remove a little from the guard for it to fit.

sparker
07-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I haven't personally used one like this. the ones I use are on a regular bench grinder. but the manufacturer says its for hss and carbide so I don't see why not. just don't "melt" the hss into the wheel.

Mcgyver
07-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Im a little confused on those diamond wheels, can you use them on HSS? I've heard before no, and from others a yes?

As i've been told, don't use diamond on ferrous! the very high heat at point of contact dissolves the diamond (carbon) into the steel rapidly wearing out the diamond wheel.

Millman
07-22-2006, 02:51 AM
[[don't use diamond on ferrous]] There are exceptions to that rule, also. Say you want to put a highly polished edge or chipbreaker on the very tip of the tool? Diamond works wonders. Compare the grinds with a microscope and you will find that tool will last at least 10 times longer than a normal grind. Which coincides with the 304 SS chipbreaker thread. Everybody just wants a quick fix for chipbreakers. Take your time while grinding and polishing and it will work. Don't worry about messing up your brand new diamond wheel, it can be fixed. Don't use excess pressure..only takes a small amount to make a good tip.

smagovic
07-22-2006, 08:06 AM
deleted, it was actually answered before