PDA

View Full Version : Aerosol Spray Can Nozzles

paulgrandy
07-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Anybody know who makes a decent aerosol spray paint can(nozzle)? Years ago I found one that I used to do some touchup on my car. It wasn't like the typical nozzle. It had like a horizontal slot cut in it. I didn't get all the overspray of the typical can of spray paint. Seems like all the cans I try are about the same. Rustoleum, Krylon, etc., etc. Seems like someone would make some that mimics the variable nozzles on the HVLP's. I got a HVLP, but all I'm painting is small sections of square tubing, it's just easier to use a spray can and throw it away when I'm done. HVLP is not worth the hassel of cleanup. If I can find one good nozzle again that has a tight spray pattern I'd just buy a can of the paint for the nozzle. Seems like most of the spray cans contents usually end up on the paper under whatever I'm painting. If I get too close the stuff runs. I even tried the little trigger thing that snaps onto the can. Easier on the finger, but doesn't do anything for the overspray.

Evan
07-21-2006, 11:07 AM
The propellant these days is propane. Propane varies pressure in direct relation to temperature, about 1 psi per degree F. If the can is spraying too fine a mist try cooling it under water or stick it in the fridge for a while to lower the pressure. Unfortunately, there is no standard for the nozzles or how they fit on the can. In many cases different brands use different nozzles so you can't swap them.

topct
07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
There are no standards for those nozzles as Evan said.

But you can get better nozzles on the better cans of paint.

I've been using some spray paint from the hobby shop. Hangar 9 Ultracote. It has a tiny moveable nozzle to turn the fan pattern.

CCWKen
07-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Duplicolor also uses the fan spray nozzle on some of their cans. The ones that don't still spray very well. By the way, they don't have "slits" in the nozzle. It's just an air pattern diverter that looks like a slit. I have pretty good luck with rattle cans that are hot. Hot as in 90+. If you get the pressure too low (cold) the paint tends to splatter. You WANT paint to be atomized to fine droplets. The finer the better for the best paint job.

That's why most auto painters with HVLP guns run the pressure a little higher than suggested. ;) Over spray is inherent with any paint spray device. The only way around it is to use a brush. :D

paulgrandy
07-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Duplicolor also uses the fan spray nozzle on some of their cans. The ones that don't still spray very well. By the way, they don't have "slits" in the nozzle. It's just an air pattern diverter that looks like a slit. I have pretty good luck with rattle cans that are hot. Hot as in 90+. If you get the pressure too low (cold) the paint tends to splatter. You WANT paint to be atomized to fine droplets. The finer the better for the best paint job.

That's why most auto painters with HVLP guns run the pressure a little higher than suggested. ;) Over spray is inherent with any paint spray device. The only way around it is to use a brush. :D

Duplicolor....That's the name I forgot. All I remembered is that it came in little 4 oz cans. I'll have to check out that Hangar 9 Ultracote also. Thanks.