View Full Version : What is a drill pad?

07-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I've seen that name come up a few times, but no idea what it might be. Seems to be just a piece of flat casting with an MT taper normal to the flat machined surface.

07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Yep. I have a drill pad for my SB9. It fits in the tail stock. The pad is bronze about 3" in diameter and is a slightly loose mount on the taper so it can move to allow for off angle work. It allows you to use the lathe as a horizontal drill press.

If you want I will take a pic tonight.

07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
some have a V on the center line , so you drill a hole in the center of a bar.

07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
No problem, that's the answer I needed. I've seen them on ebay, and then today I ran across a project plan that called for one, so I figured I would ask. Thanks...

Al Messer
07-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I made the one I have. Took me a couple of nights, but it has been worth the effort in the long run as they can be very handy at times.

07-21-2006, 05:53 PM
The one with the V-notch is called a Crotch Center. I've got one of those and it comes in handy quite a lot for cross drilling round stock. I thought about making a small clamp for it like V-blocks. It gets a little scary with higher speed drilling. :eek: