PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Foil and Heatreating

pelevesq
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
I bought Stainless Steel Foil for Heatreating
It is 0.002 in thickness, I read that wrapping the part to be heatreat with stainless steel foil protect the finish.
I never done it yet, when it is time to dip the part in water do I have to unwrap first or just dip the part with the stainless protective wrap?. Also I have bought 0.002 it looks way to stiff to wraps part and the 0.0005 is about 3 times the price of the 0.002
may be I should order 0.001. Any advise gentlemen.
Paul-Ernest

Spin Doctor
02-22-2003, 11:18 PM
About quenching in water I really dont know. Usually we use it for air hardening tool steels. When the welder does do some oil hardening he takes it out first. Just remember to wrap the part in something like brown paper towel and throw some charcol in the bag when you make it to convert all the Oxygen to CO2 so you don't get any decarb scale

rbregn
02-23-2003, 01:08 AM
Some tool steels are required to be brought up to and held at a temp that would allow the steel to loose some of its desirable properties if it was heated in an unprotected state. The stainless is used to seal the steel from the atmosphere. If you use on something that needs water quenched to harden, by the time you unwrap it to quench,you'll loose your temp. And if you quench without unwrapping , it may not cool quick enough. I wouldn't wrap it unless it required it.
Rob

darryl
02-23-2003, 02:06 AM
Interesting concept, I imagine it could work. I'd try to make the 'shield' quickly removeable, You will need to remove it to quench quickly enough and evenly, especially if it's a water hardening steel, which is meant to be cooled faster. Maybe wire the shield to a fixing point so the part can just be pulled away from the heat, and is suddenly bare when the shield stays behind. Take care to allow the shield to fall to a safe spot where you don't have to worry about it burning something, maybe you. Just an idea, I haint tried it.

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 02-23-2003).]

SGW
02-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Yes, you ought to unwrap it first. That's the main reason I've never tried it; I've never figured out how to unwrap it fast enough. "The directions" say to cut the foil open and let the piece fall into the quench, but for the size parts I typically work with, I'm afraid they would cool off too much even in that brief time. Just give it a try and see how you do.

I use "KeepBryte Anti-Scale Compound," which serves much the same purpose. If you don't know about it, it's a powder you roll the piece in to provide a protective coating. Then, when the piece is up to temperature, you just quench it. I've had very good luck with that. MSC www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com) and others sell the stuff in 3-pound cans, which ought to last most of us several lifetimes. Brownell's www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) sells their own brand (though it's probably the same stuff, repackaged) in 1-pound containers.