PDA

View Full Version : lathemaster

drsquat
07-21-2006, 07:27 PM
ok, before i take the plunge and and make this purchase, any information on the lathemaster 9x30 lathe would be greatly appreciated. before forking over about 1200 bucks i do need to know i am buying quality. 1200 is about the limit for my pocketbook to handle.
thanks
dave

let it be known now that i have cussed and pulled what little hair(nose hair) i have while learning all this neat stuff standing in front of an old atlas. i have invented so many new words. and...... learned just how important concrete is when one finally buys a machinst level */$#&%@ arghhhhh.
LOL!!!!!
thanks guys

BobWarfield
07-21-2006, 07:36 PM
They're great lathes. I love mine. Service from Lathemaster is also great except for via email, Bob is slow to respond there.

These lathes are much nicer than the 9x20's, they are more rigid, and they're ready to go out of the box.

There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to them here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

Also, the 8x18 is the same lathe with less between centers room. It is quite a bit cheaper, so you ought to consider one. I don't think I've ever used the full clearance in that direction on my 8x39 yet. There is a Yahoo group for that lathe as well:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/8x18Lathe/

What else would you like to know?

Best,

BW

BillH
07-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Bob Warfield made my post obsolete... edited.

miker
07-22-2006, 12:52 AM
drsquat, How dare you even contemplate buying a machine that isn't over 70 years old and worn out completely?
Next you will be saying that youre going to take it straight out of the box and start enjoying it!!! The very idea.......

Enjoy!! :)

Rgds

BillH
07-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Hey BW, just curious, what DOC's are you getting with that lathe? Ever get it to chatter?

paulgrandy
07-22-2006, 08:19 AM
They're great lathes. I love mine. Service from Lathemaster is also great except for via email, Bob is slow to respond there.

These lathes are much nicer than the 9x20's, they are more rigid, and they're ready to go out of the box.

There is a Yahoo Group dedicated to them here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

Also, the 8x18 is the same lathe with less between centers room. It is quite a bit cheaper, so you ought to consider one. I don't think I've ever used the full clearance in that direction on my 8x39 yet. There is a Yahoo group for that lathe as well:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/8x18Lathe/

What else would you like to know?

Best,

BW

When you say 'ready to go out of the box', do you mean someone has cleaned all the cosmoline(sp) and grease off of it? I'd pay extra just to have that done.

BobWarfield
07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Have I ever gotten it to chatter?

Gee, you can get just about anything to chatter, how would you know you're taking an aggressive enough cut otherwise? <G>

Sure, it will chatter, but I've never had a situation where it was making it very difficult to get the work done. I added variable speed to the lathe (DC treadmill motor off eBay), and it is usually just a matter of twiddling the dial. Chatter is a harmonic effect, and changing the spindle speed or feed rate often makes it go away pretty easily. I see chatter most often when I haven't got very rigid workholding (early stages of making a chuck backplate where I just chucked a bolt stuck through the center of the cast iron blank) or sometimes when parting off. If I see it elsewhere, it usually means I don't have something quite right and need to stop, check it over, and tighten things up.

What DOC?

Varies tremendously with the material, feeds, and speeds. I tend to use something like 40 thousands when I'm roughing, but the machine will do more than that.

Is it cleaned up of cosmolene? Can I pay someone to do that?

Hmmm. Paul, are you sure you want to pursue this hobby? Metalworking is not a clean pursuit in my experience. <G>

I keep a squeeze bottle of odorless kerosene to use for lubricant. It's just a plastic bottle like you'd put ketchup or mustard in. Grab that sucker, a 2 or 3" chip brush, and a roll of paper towels and the cosmolene is gone pretty darned quick. Be sure to lube things well the next step out of the box. Then have at it.

BTW Paul, if you think cosmolene is obnoxious, wait until you deal with swarf. In particular, wait until you get a mill and wind up with some of those deadly little slivers that make for instant splinter if you get one on your skin. I confess I use the shop vac for those. Don't want any part of 'em!

Best,

BW

paulgrandy
07-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Have I ever gotten it to chatter?

BTW Paul, if you think cosmolene is obnoxious, wait until you deal with swarf. In particular, wait until you get a mill and wind up with some of those deadly little slivers that make for instant splinter if you get one on your skin. I confess I use the shop vac for those. Don't want any part of 'em!

Best,

BW

I've never gotten away with just cleaning up the surfaces of new machines. Basically I have to take it apart to clean all the junk out. I think the Chinese inject it everywhere with a grease gun knowing full well it's going to piss some American off. I've never anted up for a nice German Machine, but I'm thinking they wouldn't come all greased up. That's why I usually try to buy used so the guy before me has to do all the dirty work.

I've had plenty of those slivers. I just get my 15X Loupe and start digging with a needle.

BobWarfield
07-22-2006, 11:18 PM
The Lathemaster has been a pleasant surprise in terms of junk inside. I had it completely apart and did not find any of the legendary casting sand, metal shavings, or cigarette butts (!) others have written about. Some of the castings are a bit rough looking inside, but not in any way that would affect the function.

Probably the one area where smoothing would be nice would be if you wanted to install a camlok tailstock conversion. Currently, the roughness requires a fair bit of play to lock down the tailstock depending on where it is.

The Industrial Hobbies mill was similar in terms of build quality. Perhaps not quite as nice, but very close, and also a very meaty piece of machinery. Fasteners used on both machines have also been decent quality. Sheet metal housings are of decent gauge and no dents. The lathe does rattle a bit around the gears from the housing. Someday I will track that down.

Now the wrenches that came with both are pretty cheezy. Buy a set of Craftsmen or other nice ones if you prefer.

Best,

BW

jburstein
07-23-2006, 12:12 AM
The guy down at Lathemaster doesn't always have his product in stock. I wanted to order from him, but wasn't willing to wait 4 months for his next shipment to come in (plus another month for him to answer my email).

-Justin

BobWarfield
07-23-2006, 02:20 AM
He's got the lathes in stock now. There's some of each kind listed on eBay. Seller "bobbrla".

BW