PDA

View Full Version : Info for Do All Bandsaw

japcas
07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Hey guys. I went and looked at a vertical Do All bandsaw yesterday and would like any information you all may know about it. It was built in 1951. Model number U-16. It was 220 3 phase but the previous owner converted it to 110 single phase power. It uses 120 inch long blades and is single speed. It appears to be running a tad fast for full time metal use but I know that could be changed with a new motor pulley. It looked well built as most Do Alls are but I wanted to be sure that it was a metal saw and not a heavy duty wood saw before I purchased it. It appears that it has been taken care of although the current owner is storing it outside under a tarp. I believe it would work for my needs fine just looking for a little more information.

tattoomike68
07-22-2006, 02:29 PM
there is some info here. Some of the info may be of help. ;)

http://www.bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=80

smagovic
07-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Japcas, I would be careful about stating I know I can reduce the speed by changing the motor pulley. Actually, if you want reduce a regular woodworking band saw to metal cutting band saw you have to reduce the speed about 20 times. That is not easy to do just by changing the motor puley. Do some arithmetics on it. I do not know what speed your saw is runnig at but I looked at a bunch of them and the 20:1 reduction was pretty much constant. Take care, Vic

P.S. I should have perhaps noted that I made the conversion using just worm and gear. I did not have to change pulley. Even if I wanted to I could not, because my band saw is gear based. VS

John R
07-22-2006, 07:02 PM
I made a successful conversion from wood cutting band saw to metal cutting withe the use of a worm gear reducer and a step pully.. worked fine

Steve Stube
07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Wood cutting to metal cutting is about a 22:1 speed reduction all right but single speed anything is for the birds in my opinion. General steel cutting is accomplished at ~325 sfpm but for aluminum (which can vary greatly from one to the next) likes to be cut at near 2,000 sfpm. A good way to have-it-all is DC variable speed or 3 phase AC induction motor with a variable frequency drive selected to operate on single phase if that's what you have available. Hard to beat Do-All in bandsaws, Grob is another great bandsaw.

japcas
07-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I don't believe this saw is an all out woodworking saw though. It has a placard on the back stating all of the various blades to use on it and it went from blades for metal to wood to even paper. It doesn't look like it is running anywhere near woodworking speeds to me. We have two variable speed Doall saws at work and I can judge band speed pretty well. I was hoping someone may have info on this specific model so we would know what it was set to run at from the factory all though with the motor swap that was done to it they may not even be running the same pulley setup. If I buy it, I'll calculate the band speed and then figure out what can be done to alter it if I'm not happy with it. Thanks again.

Steve Stube
07-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Here is the link to a Do-All 1612 saw on the Do-All site (there are many others listed there also) in pdf, is this the one you are looking at? Very nice saw!
http://www.doallsawing.com/doallcommon/cmi_pdf/Model%201612-U_3012-U_146%20-%20147.pdf

smagovic
07-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Steve, what you said is true up to a point if you are talking about a machine shop, but we are talking about a home shop, well I was anyhow. The band saw I purchased for this was about $200. Where I live I do not have a 3 phase, and buying variable speed (eg DC) motor would cost well over the cost of the band saw. It is not for birds, it is for a home shop. It works. It is not perfect, but a few things in a home shop are. If I cut anything it might be a few pieces a day. Then the band saw goes on vacation for a while. And, if it is not what the 'customer' wants he does not have to go this way, it is his money. Cheers. Vic

To add, if one wants to get fancy and make it cut aluminum better, one can bypass the reduction gear for that. The way I do it I go to my wood band saw, again I am not a production shop I am a hobby.

Steve Stube
07-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Vic,
Steve, what you said is true up to a point if you are talking about a machine shop, but we are talking about a home shop, well I was anyhow. The band saw I purchased for this was about $200. Where I live I do not have a 3 phase, and buying variable speed (eg DC) motor would cost well over the cost of the band saw. It is not for birds, it is for a home shop. It works. It is not perfect, but a few things in a home shop are. If I cut anything it might be a few pieces a day. Then the band saw goes on vacation for a while. And, if it is not what the 'customer' wants he does not have to go this way, it is his money. Cheers. Vic

To add, if one wants to get fancy and make it cut aluminum better, one can bypass the reduction gear for that. The way I do it I go to my wood band saw, again I am not a production shop I am a hobby.

What I said is true, period. I'm talking Home Shop but it fits for a machine shop too.

Vic if your talking about home shop, hobby why do you mention customers?

My first DC drive setup I put together in 1971 for my new 12" $140.00 Craftsman wood cutting bandsaw was less than $40.00 - still works today.

If you re-read my comment it says, "a variable frequency drive selected to operate on single phase if that's what you have available." I picked up a used 2 HP VFD on eBay for $10.00 220V single phase input 0-220V 3 phase output. You don't have to have 3 phase to your shop. You do have to learn how to select a drive. BUT you say, that was a deal. Yup but they occur quite often for those that are looking. Hey, 3 brand new 1 HP VFD units sold yesterday or the day before on eBay for between 20 and 40 bucks.

It's not a case of being fancy, sometimes it's the difference of being able to cut the material or not. I've some 6" aluminum blocks that you can play with all day with at wood cutting speed (~3,000 sfpm) or at 325 sfpm and hardly melt or scratch groves in but at 2,150 sfpm it cuts very smooth and fast using a 3 or 4 skiptooth wood cutting blade. Without VS it would have been scrap aluminum but with VS and an inquiring mind I was able to cut some pieces I needed.

Pstelzig
07-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Doall is still around, and they have copys of all the old manuals, you could give them a call for info on that saw.

Contact list
http://www.doall.com/contact_list.aspx

Telephone: 800-92-DoALL

I don't work there anymore so I can't just wander into the store room and look up the manual for you.