PDA

View Full Version : Two What Is It's

miker
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
There are two items in Photobucket that I would appreciate some help in identifying.

One is a Vise that came with an old Mill I am doing up. It seems to be designed to hold odd shapes. It certainly does not appear to be a precision Mill Vise. No brand or other markings.

The other thing appears to be part of some sort of Indexing device. A sping loaded pin goes into the holes from the back. Again no brand or markings.

Any comments or thoughts would be welcome.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/What%20is%20it/

Rgds

smagovic
07-23-2006, 06:16 AM
The vice has attachment(jaws) that is used for holding non rectagular objects. The floating jaws adjust on tightening to hold irregular objects. These one look a bit flimsy, though.
I cannot really see the details of the second implement. It apears that it is a very rudimentary dividing implement, which can be used which ever way you think up (milling, griding, drilling). I cannot tell if it has a thread to hold a chuck, or if it is a MT mount, it probably accepts collets also- hard to say from the pictures. Other plates with a different number of holes can used in addition (you can make any plate you want to).Take care. Vic Smagovic

IOWOLF
07-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Miker, learn to post pics.Please ;)

Timleech
07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Spencer Franklin vice (maybe made by others), as has been said very good for holding odd shapes in the drilling machine. The side shafts projecting below both sets of jaws tighten the swivelling plates in the position you want. Some of the plates can slide along the main screw axis, so you can have shoulders of different heights & depths to rest work on. I have two sizes of these, & rarely use anything else on the drilling machine. I expect you could use them for light milling, with care.

The other bit looks as though it belongs on a T&C grinder.

Tim

miker
07-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will spend some time overhauling the vise and put it into use. Damn heavy beast!
Mr Wolf, I can post pics, I just thought that six might be a bit much to foist on the unsuspecting who are still using dial up. Difficult to know what is preferred sometimes. Didn't mean to cause a problem.

Rgds

Evan
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
With just a little bit of fiddling pics can be made acceptably small so that they don't slow down dialup users very much. I usually keep mine below 600 pixels wide unless the extra detail is required. I then apply a very slight blur. If you don't have software to do this then check your camera to see if you can turn off the internal sharpening. Sharpening greatly increases the file size of a jpg image.

Then I save the image at a fairly high compression level. Your original pic isn't bad at all, only 24kb and that would be perfectly ok for posting. By applying the above mentioned methods I reduced that to only 13k which is negligible to load even on dialup.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/visemult.jpg

IOWOLF
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanx Evan.

Miker , there is little difference between loading here or there.IMHO.

Alistair Hosie
07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
irregular objects or perfect for holding round or hexagonal objects vertically the other is a spin indexer ideal for holding things under the mill to be sharpened or to work on from what I can make out thats what they are . Alistair

miker
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the tips Evan and Mr Wolf.
If I fiddle enough with the blurring technique maybe I can turn my Shuof Bendt lathe into a South Bend!! :)

Rgds.

miker
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks Alistair, I hadn't thought about holding stock Vertically!! I'll investigate Spin Indexers. I think our Prime Minister has a whole department dedicated to SPIN. :)

Rgds

Rex
07-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Why would you apply blur to a photo?

As for resizing, there is a little shareware program called picmail that is quick and easy and has very little effect on image quality.

Evan
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
The jpeg image compression algorithm is an adaptive compression system. To represent sharp edges it must switch to a lesser amount of compression for those areas. Adding a very small amount of blur to an image spreads the sharp edges over several pixels which allows the algorithm to maintain a higher level of compression throughout the image. The amount of blur required is small enough that it has no significant visual impact for the ordinary display of web page images. Using a little bit of blur (soft focus) can reduce image file size by up to 30%.

For simple image resizing with Windows XP go here and download the Image Resizer Powertoy. After installing you may right click on any image or group of selected images and resize them. It creates a duplicate and does not change the original.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx