PDA

View Full Version : OT: One tough SOB

wierdscience
07-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Floyd Landis wins despite needing a hip-

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B971B448E-CA86-44FF-9D4C-1B20C395595D%7D

tattoomike68
07-23-2006, 08:59 PM
He really wanted it to push himself that hard in his condition . :)

wierdscience
07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
As an added bonus this makes 8 in a row that the French have had to hear our national anthem at the end of the race:D

torker
07-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Geez, now that is hilarious! Lance with the cancer and now a guy with a bad hip.
What? Did the French just decide to surrender 8 years ago?
Just serve me up an order of Freedom Fries thanks!
Russ

Buckshot
07-24-2006, 02:15 AM
.............A guy with cancer and another with a bad hip. They'd probably just forfeit if we sent over a quadraplegic. :-)

But seriously a fine showing and a good job well done.

Rick

torker
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Someday we're going to send a Canuck over there to that deal.
As soon as he learns how to ride a bike with his snowshoes on...

thistle
07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
I happened to drive a section of the race by accident last year ,(you can tell because evry 10 feet there is Lance written on the road ),this was in the midi pyranees ,I can only say that the car was puffing and panting all the way,and I was knackered at the end of the day. How those fellows do that race on the bike day after day is beyond me, just doing a bit of it would be a challenge , finishing a miracle, winning purely unbelievable.

cuemaker
07-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I have watched almost every stage of the tour since 1981. I happen to be in France in 1980 at the tender age of 10 to see it first hand. Its wasnt much to watch in person.

"look, there is someone, wow he is going fast"

wait, wait, wait,

"look, there are whole bunch more, they are going fast too!" "all done!"

Then I got drive part of the route the next day in the Alps on the way home to Milan, Italy and I was totally inspired by the mountains they rode up.

I was hooked. I watched Paris-Roubaix and anything else I could find.

Back in the states, it was a little hard to find unless an American was in it, but we had satellite.

I just absoulty love the tactics, condition/heart/endurance and mental toughness of the race and racers.

Now thats its over, I get to go back to cleaning my lathe and putting it back together.

Now some please answer my thread on grease.

john hobdeclipe
07-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Landis, with his bum hip, is the third American to win the Tour de France.

Armstrong began his string of wins after his recovery from cancer, and Greg LeMond won in 1986 ( the first American to win the Tour,) then nearly died from a gunshot wound in early 1987. He also recovered from his injuries and went on to win the Tour in 1989 and 1990.

Wareagle
07-25-2006, 12:24 AM
It must have been all of the performance enhancing drugs! I am sure this will be on the news before long, "Landis accused of doping during the Tour de France by the french".

wierdscience
07-25-2006, 01:14 AM
It must have been all of the performance enhancing drugs! I am sure this will be on the news before long, "Landis accused of doping during the Tour de France by the french".

I suprised that hasn't happened already,course I'm also suprised the French haven't changed the're flag to all white years ago.

A.K. Boomer
07-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Im actually convinced that going through extreme hardship in your life is an advantage in the tour, they never removed all the lead pellets in lemond, he still has some just milimeters from his heart,,, lance was still training 35 miles a day while going through chemo, when he couldnt do that anymore the guy was timing himself doing laps around the hospital floor while using a walker ------- these guys are amazing and probably put out more energy in one of there six or eight hour rides than an entire foot ball team does during the course of there game, think about it, a cadence of 90 to 100 every minute of every hour and making every stroke count, nobody suffers like an elite cyclist --- and now we can add landis to the mix

The best thing ever was when the french team confidis dropped Lance when he was on his death bed (he was actually racing for them back then) And then he comes back and gives them the spanking of thier lives, over and over and over again, they can suck hind tit, i forget what he said after walking past the confidis camp right after winning his first tour but it was good stuff, I wont directly bag on anyones nationality,,, but personally im glad im not french for all kinds of reasons....

slowtwitch
07-25-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm a cyclist. I do mostly 20 and 40 k time trials and I can tell you, that the Armstrong's , Landis's and all the other pro cyclist's are just inhuman. These guys can easily average over 30 mph in a time trial.

The ride up mountain roads, where as mentioned in a couple of post before, cars will struggle to get up. The decents from these mountains can reach speeds of 60+ mph.

The sprinters can accelerate to 40+mph, bumping and leaning into each other at the finish. What Floyd Landis did was truly remarkable,......makes me want to go out and ride :D

pete

A.K. Boomer
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
They really are amazing, and some are concidered genetic freeks, i used to race Mt. bikes and at my top form had some resting pulse rates of 31 beats per minute, Migal Indurian has actually had some 29's, in fact he had a tough time getting health insurance until they found out who he was because they dont know what to make of it when someones heart beats that slow,,, i guess crocodiles beat 2 per minute in hibernation:eek:
both Lance and Lemond have hearts that are aprox. 1/3 larger --- many people do --- but not healthy ones, a great cyclist needs a bunch of ingrediants to become a champ, legs lungs and heart and just as important an unstopable will, I once decimated an entire specialized sponsored team riding carbon fibre epics ---and i did it on my Mt. bike (with road tires) All because they laughed at me when i showed up with a Mt. bike for a forty mile road loop, these guys were no slugs niether, some of them i knew and also specialized does not give away those bikes to people who are slow!
At the end of the ride they came up and were picking up my Mt. bike and counting the teeth on the chainrings and stuff --- the drive home i remember looking into my rear view mirror and seeing my eyes and it looked as if they were bleeding, years later im reminded that after 40 or 50 thousand miles riding Mt. bikes one of my finest rides took place on the road...

there is nothing that iv found in this world that is more fulfilling than the invention and meld between self propulsion and the wheel, and todays tech. has made it even better, my bro just dropped $3,300 on a sweet road bike --- now thats what i call health insurance...

So Slowtwitch,,, tell me of your greatest ride!, I can listen to cycling stories all day long...

Peter N
07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
It must have been all of the performance enhancing drugs!
Oops! Did you have a crystal ball..?:D

Landis Gives Positive Drugs Test (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/5221122.stm)

Peter

bob_s
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Maybe he just has a really good set of cajones!

Evan
07-27-2006, 04:03 PM
The test he failed is not proof positive of doping. There are certain completely legal dietary strength training supplements that can produce a false positive on that test, especially DHEA. It will require additional testing and possibly a complete endocrine system workup to determine if he has been cheating.

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 04:13 PM
The test he failed is not proof positive of doping. There are certain completely legal dietary strength training supplements that can produce a false positive on that test, especially DHEA. It will require additional testing and possibly a complete endocrine system workup to determine if he has been cheating.

true story, Armstrong went through it big time years ago because he used some kinda cortizone cream or something of that nature on a saddle soar and it imediatly shown up on his test...

By the way Evan --- Is DHEA legal?

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 04:18 PM
My bro just reminded me what armstrong said to team confidis as he walked past their camp after winning his first tour "this one was for you"...:)

Evan
07-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Is DHEA legal?

Yes.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/sections/index.cfm/s/99387

slowtwitch
07-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Boomer... My best time in the 40k time trial is 1.03. I did it on this ...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/slowtwitch/cervelo.jpg

Btw, the bug is one of two I'm restoring. As for Landis, I hope the second test come back ok.

Evan
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I wonder what precautions they take to make sure the food they eat hasn't been spiked at some point?

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/sections/index.cfm/s/99387

I know its over the counter but didnt realize it was ok for racing? iv actually been taking it for 15 years now but never went pro so never really knew...

suposedly our adrenal gland only puts out a fraction of the go-go jiuce when your say 35 as compaired to 18, and i guess a 60 year old is only putting out about ten percent of what he used to ,,, according to what iv read the adrenal gland is the master control of all the other glands....

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Slowtwitch,, that is art, I cant look at her for to long or i start to get wood,,,

That rear tire shrouding is awesome, everything is knife edged,, i dont want to embarrass myself by trying to guess the weight cuz im a dirt guy, but i cant resist,,, 14.5?

very nice, thanks. my bro's got a pretty hot specialized but its not that sleek...

Evan
07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I know its over the counter but didnt realize it was ok for racing? iv actually been taking it for 15 years now but never went pro so never really knew...

suposedly our adrenal gland only puts out a fraction of the go-go jiuce when your say 35 as compaired to 18, and i guess a 60 year old is only putting out about ten percent of what he used to ,,, according to what iv read the adrenal gland is the master control of all the other glands....

DHEA contains precursor chemicals that the body uses to manufacture testosterone. It doesn't contain testosterone itself.

So far we have no idea why the positive result occured but if it is due to something like the use of a perfectly legal dietary supplement then it is going to raise some serious questions. Since DHEA is not a banned substance and only facilitates the body's production of natural testosterone should this be deemed cheating?

The adrenal gland is not the "master" gland. It operates in concert with the pituitary and the hypothalmus glands. They regulate each other in a very complex set of interactions that profoundly affect the levels of many hormones, neuropeptides and neurotransmitters. This group of glands is called the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, or HPA Axis for short.

The HPA axis and it's activities are of particular interest to me as disfunction of the HPA Axis is the leading suspected cause of fibromyalgia. Among other things it seems to make the autonomic nervous system run in overdrive including brain activity which is responsible for the fact that I don't sleep much or well. My brain is always awake or nearly so.

Peter N
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Since DHEA is not a banned substance and only facilitates the body's production of natural testosterone should this be deemed cheating?

Quote: Increased use of DHEA among athletes was reported anecdotally before and during the 1996 Olympic Games, and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Medical Commission explicitly added the compound to the list of prohibited compounds in December 1996, although it would have been considered prohibited previously under the "related compounds" provision of the list.
(http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/45/2/295)
Edited to add: Also banned by the NCAA and IAAF amongst others.

Peter

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Damn Evan --- is there anything you dont know? I hate not sleeping good either --- i have my bad weeks but for the most part have stableized, the worse iv ever done was about 12 hours a week for three months, it was terrible,,, i commend you on keeping your mind active and hitting it head on, Kudo's for not being a boozer or something worse over it,,, i dont know exactly what you have but im reading a book on enzymes right now and its amazing,,, have you heard of wobenzyme,,, its been out for many years and is suposedly still the #1 remedy for many ailments in germany, it was actually developed to help fight cancer,,, one thing i am realizing after this read Evan is Enzymes are amazing, but I also realize this --- if you cant figure it out then it would have to be blind luck for me to be able to... keep keepin on bro, and dont ever stop looking for that answer...

Norman Atkinson
07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
My appartement in Les Arcs was at the end of one of the stages and at 1800 metres.

Frankly,who was wearing the Yellow Jersey was academic. These guys were all -Iron Men.

The spectacle is like going to the Winter Olympics- fantastic and never to be forgotten.

Norm

Evan
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Medical Commission explicitly added the compound to the list of prohibited compounds in December 1996,
Uh huh. What's next, wild yams? That's where it comes from. So, are they going to begin adding foods to the banned list? You can get in trouble now for having an extra cup of coffee for breakfast.

BTW, when I say banned substance I mean banned by law. Banning of subtances by the IOC is an entirely different matter and has no standing in law.

[more]

Many substances are banned by the IOC not because they enhance performance but because they tend to confuse or "block" the tests.

A.K. Boomer
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
I do know this --- it doesnt have to even be steriod related because they dont allow blood charging either, blood charging is when you save your blood in the off season when you are rested and then reintroduce it when its all worn out during race season, thats been illigal for twenty or thirty years,,, how they can tell that you did this i dont know but they can...

Peter N
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
You can get in trouble now for having an extra cup of coffee for breakfast.

So my Doctor keeps telling me :D
Keeps mumbling something about stopping smoking and cutting down on the wine intake too....

Peter

wierdscience
07-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I think the French are just jealous or intimidated by Men who actually have testosterone:D

Evan
07-27-2006, 09:54 PM
how they can tell that you did this i dont know but they can...

That one is easy. They look for abnormally high levels of hemoglobin.