PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT Cleaning cermaic motar/pestle

PTSideshow
07-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Anybody with a chem lab type background? I purchased a couple of boxes of art room class supplies was supposed to be enameling powder and glass threads and lumps. Included was a number or mortars/ and pestles with stains and curd in the bottoms of each. a couple cleaned up good with a cleaner and water. Have one with wax melted in the bowl. Scraped most of the junk and chunks out. Do you have any ideas or tips on removing the stains. Will be trying the small air brush blaster I have on the wax one. I had not realized that they cost $55.00 for the mortar 4.5" dia and $29.40 for the pestle. Till I was placing an order on the enamel company web site and came across them for sale. :D

Evan
07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Put the wax coated one in the oven on the self clean cycle. Open a window.

PTSideshow
07-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Have burned the mortar out in a gas grill with the cover down, Don't thing I want to try that with the other halfs stove even if she nevers uses it. With my luck it would get down into someplace that it would smell everytime the stove was turned on LOL

Evan
07-24-2006, 02:27 PM
It won't hurt the oven if it's just wax. Self cleaning ovens heat to about 800F to burn out the grease. Just say you heard that a little candle wax helps the cleaning process and take credit for helping with the kitchen chores. Also prepare a plausible backup story.

PTSideshow
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Since I be retired /retarted and she works I'm doing all the cooking now and she won't buy that. and she won't listen to any back up stories after 31 years lol;)

Evan
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it never works for me either.

CCWKen
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I think 800* is well above the flash point for wax. You may blow the door off the oven if you try to "bake" it out. :eek:

Have you tried damp Comet cleaner?

Evan
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Doubt it. Grease also burns. The flash point for chicken fat is 525F

Scishopguy
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
If it is a parafin based wax then you should be able to cut it with acetone (in a well ventillated place with NO sources of ignition around) and it should not leave a residue. I used to take the wax off surfboards by heating with hot water and then rubbing them down with acetone on a rag. It took off the remains and left them shiney.

Jim (KB4IVH)

CCWKen
07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
:D LOL... Yabut, How would you explain the new "Smoke Glass" oven door? Or the "tinted" light? :D

Evan, I think an experiment is in order! How about you bake a chicken on "Clean" and see what happens. :)

CCWKen
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
If it is a parafin based wax then you should be able to cut it with acetone (in a well ventillated place with NO sources of ignition around) and it should not leave a residue. I used to take the wax off surfboards by heating with hot water and then rubbing them down with acetone on a rag. It took off the remains and left them shiney.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Acetone? I bet that shiny was just your glazed eyes reflecting back. :D

Evan
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Evan, I think an experiment is in order

Are you kidding? It's way too hot to turn on the oven. Wife cooked a chicken yesterday but we set it up in the garage shop on a workbench in a crockpot. That's best the garage has ever smelled. Aroma of roasted chicken with just a hint of WD-40 and gear lube.

PTSideshow
07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
So now let me get this straight
1 I take a chicken,polish its head with a cloth dipped in acetone.
2 Put the mortar on the chickens head
3 Fill beer can with acetone, jam can up chickens backside.
4 place up right on BBQ grill and run like hell.
5 Check to see if the glass in the oven gets smoked or tinted?:D

PTSideshow
07-25-2006, 12:13 PM
the acetone did remove much of the wax that had sunk in the poruos bowl of the mortar.didn't do much for the staining around the wax drops. But by trying a number of different solvents of varing degrees of hazard. with washing in between with H2O/ simplegreen I trhink all but the most deep stains are off the surface of the bowls. As they will be used in grinding enamel lump glass frit I don't think there will be a problem with any contamition.:)

Evan
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Are you doing some cloisinne work?

PTSideshow
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Planning on trying some if not all the techique'sjust cleaning out the stuff I have picked up and the stuff left after retiring last sept. Want to get rid of the stuff i'm not using. have Libans aand Mitchells book on cloisonne' and jewelry making along with other on enamel:)

Evan
07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I used to make jewlery years ago when I lived in Berkeley. I studied at the California College of Arts and Crafts, now known as just the California College of the Arts (http://www.cca.edu/) . I especially liked jewlery making and did quite a bit of cloisonne. I would draw my own silver wire for designs and grind glass for the enamel.

Unfortunately I don't have one single piece of work from that time. Most of it I sold.

Alistair Hosie
07-25-2006, 02:08 PM
never heard of boiling water !! The wax will soon be boiled off .I did it every day in the dental business try a little washing liquid for the final boil.Alistair

PTSideshow
07-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Nope never did think of the boiling water or your mention of the dental reminded me of the denture cleaner tablets that we got in the mail will have to try them in boiling water since the mortars are a baked type porcelan surface.:D

Evan check out this site the lastest thing is using copper tube to make glass beads with a propane torch and some gas welding rod for stainless steel/mandels.
http://pinzart.zoovy.com/
yep now the feeling made and sold jewelry years ago, the stuff the wife kept she looks at know and says What was I thinking LOL.:rolleyes:

Evan
07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that link. This metallic silver clay must be good for something and not just jewlery. I have never heard of this stuff before.

http://pinzart.zoovy.com/c=etlNEOkcsR9kFobueyvvzc8QE/category/library.02_art_clay_silver/

Lew Hartswick
07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
<Evan, I think an experiment is in order! How about you bake a chicken on "Clean" and see what happens. >

I hear a certain person in Albuquerque has a sister who did that with a
turkey once. :-)
...lew...