PDA

View Full Version : cheap DRO

Elninio
07-25-2006, 09:27 PM
what is a cheap way to improvise a DRO for a 12 x 24 lathe?

Nutter
07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Can you follow simple instructions and solder? If so http://www.shumatech.com/ and cheap chinese scales.

Don't know about current availability in North America though. You could check the Schumateach yahoo group if you were serious. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShumaTech/

Elninio
07-25-2006, 09:47 PM
where can i find the "chinese scales" aside from ebay?

BadDog
07-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Harbor Freight is a common source.

Elninio
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
i dont think harbor freight sells the scales, I checked just recently and all they have was the calipers, what i'm looking for is something like this (keep in mind that this is for a 12 x 24 lathe):

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-24-Y-AXIS-VERTICAL-DIGIMATIC-DIGITAL-SCALE-UNIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ140010893592QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41939Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

preferably in canada is possible

BadDog
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I think some folks are getting the HF calipers, modifying them to either use the jaws as mounts, or cut them off, or otherwise convert to what they need. I've got 2 I bought on sale for $13(?) though I plan to just use their readouts. Plenty good for my needs without the display I think. But I haven't seen any that long.

wierdscience
07-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Here you go,these folks have the China scales up to 60" in length-

http://www.jtsmach.com/

I bought mine from them through the're ebay store,but they do sell over the counter and via phone.

BillH
07-26-2006, 12:11 AM
So El Ninio, did you buy a grizzly 12x24 lathe?

torker
07-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Chris...you can use calipers as long as they have the right port to hook up the digital readout. You may want to check out a Kaman bearing outlet near you. The one here (BC) carries a bunch of stuff like that and have some pretty decent sales.
Crappy Tire sells cheap 6" calipers($19 on sale) (with the correct port) that would work for your cross slide. I've had a set for over a year and they work well.
Century Valen (used to be Price and Markle) sell 24" calipers here but they are kinda expensive until the rare sale comes up.
Russ

Elninio
07-29-2006, 04:28 AM
to bill: have not purchased the grizzly lathe, because i live in canada! but MIGHT purchase a busy bee version, but recently i went to the busy bee store and found that the tiny 9 x 20 lathe costs more than one of those round coloumn mills, the mill is also much bigger, if i do buy a lathe it will be that 12 x 24 or 10 x 18 that they have

to torker & weirdscience: tnx for for sources ill have to check them out :D, still makeing some decisions but hopefully this will be the summer that ill get a real machine tool (no more cross sliding vice + small drillpress!)

the only way that i can get the precision that i need with a small lathe is to have it D.R.O'ed, because a more professional lathe will cost to much and will be almost impossible to get in the basement, i just hope the guy @ cnckits.ca finishes his website soon because he has that 10 x 18 lathe that busy bee sells and i would be really interested in seeing what kind of cnc hes been doing on his lathe

BillH
07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
to bill: have not purchased the grizzly lathe, because i live in canada! but MIGHT purchase a busy bee version, but recently i went to the busy bee store and found that the tiny 9 x 20 lathe costs more than one of those round coloumn mills, the mill is also much bigger, if i do buy a lathe it will be that 12 x 24 or 10 x 18 that they have

to torker & weirdscience: tnx for for sources ill have to check them out :D, still makeing some decisions but hopefully this will be the summer that ill get a real machine tool (no more cross sliding vice + small drillpress!)

the only way that i can get the precision that i need with a small lathe is to have it D.R.O'ed, because a more professional lathe will cost to much and will be almost impossible to get in the basement, i just hope the guy @ cnckits.ca finishes his website soon because he has that 10 x 18 lathe that busy bee sells and i would be really interested in seeing what kind of cnc hes been doing on his lathe
Dont put the carriage ahead of the horses. Don't assume CNC will make the machine more accurate, it will save you from having to read the dials and do work quicker. If you still want to produce bmx bike parts and dont much care about anything else, you should probably be outsourcing the machine work.

Mcruff
07-29-2006, 05:42 PM
You can also use the "US Digital" mylar scales and there encoders. I have a set to put on my 9" South Bend lathe. My Shumatehc DRO is finished just need time to finish the mount for the mylar scale.
http://www.usdigital.com/products/optical-encoders.shtml

Elninio
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
if i were to replace the screws on an asian machine with ballscrews, and the cnc'ed it, what kind of tolerences could i expect that machine to hold? the precision would be determined by the ballscrews and the bed right? so 0.0001"?