PDA

View Full Version : Ice Picks

GKman
07-27-2006, 07:23 AM
I want to make some icepick-like hook tools. Got some 0.151 O-1 steel from McMaster's and am trying to think of an easy way to taper them. Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Gary

Rusty Marlin
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Chuck a sutible length in a hand drill and while the drill is running grind the taper on the shank with a bench grinder. You could do the same thing by chucking the blank in a lathe and while turning the blank run a die grinder over it. But personally I don't like to get grit near my lathe.

john hobdeclipe
07-27-2006, 07:35 AM
power drill and belt sander.

ERBenoit
07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Are you looking to make something like an O-Ring hook/pick? You could purchase a set of them, interchangeable hook styles/shapes with a common handle for probably less than $10.00.

I see that you bought your material from McMaster-Carr, they have quite a selection of hooks and picks, including the kinds you would find in a dentist's office for fine work.

I understand the satisfaction in "I made this", and I am not knocking your desire to self make them, but for the price(s), I would just buy a set or the one(s) that will serve your needs.

Just my thoughts. Otherwise, if accuracy of the taper doesn't count, the drill and bench grinder is how I do it.

IOWOLF
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Northwest ,Mo? where?

Mike Burdick
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
How about forging them?

One can build a little forge with a blower and use charcoal as the fuel. This way one can anneal them, hammer them to the desired shape, then harden and temper. Charcoal burns clean so if you live in the city your neighbors won't get upset. Hey, they’ll probably wonder why they weren’t invited to the BBQ. As for the hammering noise – just tell you have some tough steaks! That’ll also make them happy they didn’t get invited. ;)

Is the forge hard to build? As an example get an automobile brake drum from a scrap yard and fit a pipe tee to the bottom. One entrance of the tee for the blower air, the other is for removal of the ash. A screen, perhaps made from 1/8" steel rod, should be placed over the tee so the charcoal won't fall thru. Put a switch on the blower so that you can shut it off when not heating the metal – this will conserve the charcoal. The blower doesn’t have to very fancy and should deliver the amount of air a good hair dryer would do. Another benefit: get a crucible and melt aluminum for that next project. :)

Oh, one added note: If you are working with small items then the charcoal may have to be broken up to smaller pieces before firing.