PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Scam Warning

Evan
07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
If you receive this e-mail:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/msupdatescam.jpg

do NOT click on the link. It's bogus and will download and execute a file from a server in Romania. I don't know what it does nor am I interested in finding out. It isn't from Microsoft. Whatever it is I am sure you don't want it.

Wirecutter
07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Once again I repeat my call for all spammers and phishers to be painfully and publicly executed.

Oh, and never click on a link sent to you in an email. If you must go there, type the link into your browser.

-Mark

IOWOLF
07-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanx Evan,Nice to see someone is looking out for us computer Illiterates.

Millman
07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, thanks, my sister just sent an email warning of a new Osama letter stating he is being hanged and not to open it if it states "Invitation" in the opening line. Something to do with burning your HD disk. Anyone heard of that one yet? Guess it destroys your hard drive!

Fasttrack
07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
:D

"It's bogus and will download and execute a file from a server in Romania"

Anyone read Dilbert? ;)

Evan
07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, thanks, my sister just sent an email warning of a new Osama letter stating he is being hanged and not to open it if it states "Invitation" in the opening line. Something to do with burning your HD disk. Anyone heard of that one yet? Guess it destroys your hard drive!

That would be a hoax.

Millman
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
How do you know?

Evan
07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
The line "burning your disk" is a dead giveaway. That line has been used many times and the "invitation" hoax has been circulating in many forms for quite a while. There is nothing that software can do that could actually destroy your hard drive. The most it could do is to erase the data from it.

CCWKen
07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
There is nothing that software can do that could actually destroy your hard drive. The most it could do is to erase the data from it.

Don't know about now but there used to be a way to destroy a disk. Maybe the firmware is locked now? A flash to the cylinder, head or sector count would pretty much destroy a disk. ;)

Evan
07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
As far as I know a modern HD will ignore any such attempt. You also cannot low level format. The best you could do is to zero fill the disk.

BillH
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
As far as I know a modern HD will ignore any such attempt. You also cannot low level format. The best you could do is to zero fill the disk.
Thank you Big Brother, I bet thats the case.