PDA

View Full Version : Awsome MW artical build boring head

lalatheman
07-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Curent issue of Machinist's Workshop has an artical progressing through the complete process of building a small boring head. I was struck at the clarity of his thinking and the quality and quantity of the pictures.
I keep thinking is that artical really that outstanding and well put together or is it just me , and that he showed lots of techniques I needed to see ?

David Lawrence

ep-98-z
07-28-2006, 10:25 AM
David,

I was thinking the same thing.
To me, lots of interesting set up and machining information.

Regards,
John

JCHannum
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Theodore Clarke has contributed articles in the past, and they are always well written and include techniques and description of the processes in developing the project. Ted also included examples of the use of many different tools and holding devices. His articles are always worthwhile, even if the item is never made.

This was an excellent issue. In addition to the article mentioned, There are several other very good articles in this issue.

The writeup on the South Bend rebuild program, in spite of some of the negative comments in another post is well written and informative. It gives a good evaluation of this program, and should be read by anyone anticipating following this path.

The center finder is an interesting variation on an old method, and points out some of the problems inherent in the commercial unit that may not be readily apparent until purchase has been made.

The article on shop air piping is direct and to the point, and applicable to any shop using compressed air.

The anodizing article gives simple, basic instructions on a small HSM shop sized unit.

The method of joining 123 blocks was unique and articles by Steve Acker and James Hauser are always welcome.

Congratulations to VP for putting it together, and thanks to the authors who take the time and initiative to share their ideas and knowledge for our benefit.

IOWOLF
07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Boy,that was the long way around to say ...It was a good article and a great Issue. ;)

JCHannum
07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Boy,that was the long way around to say ...It was a good article and a great Issue. ;)
I know that Wolfie, but thought I would give some of the non-suscribers/buyers an idea of the contents to whet their appetites and let them know what they are missing.

Wareagle
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
The 1-2-3 block article was very interesting. I am going to make a set-up for my blocks this weekend.

I have been looking at the anodizing stuff for a while, but haven't laid out the cash to do it. That would be a nice additonal capability to have available in the home shop.

The compressed air system article is well done. The only problem with that is the copper prices these days! For what it would cost to set up an air system of a decent size, you could buy probably buy a small machine tool!

The Village Press people do a great service to our hobby with the mags and this BBS!

IOWOLF
07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
In that case, well done to you also,JCH.