PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning whet stones

Gene Chapman
07-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Occasionally I clean the shop Norton fine india sharpening stone with hot water, lava soap and a stiff fiber brush. This dosen't always get out the embedded steel, the stone is used primeraly for knife sharpening, any suggestions??

I was wondering about the broken tap removal paste that was used on cast aluminum parts to remove broken taps at a shop where I worked maintenance, years ago. Don't remember what it was.

Thanks Gene Chapman

mochinist
07-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Is the embedded steel really hurting anything? I mean we are talking microscopic sized pieces of steel right?

HTRN
07-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Your wife will flip if she catch's you doing this, but..

The dishwasher. It does an amazing job of getting fines out of my Arkansas stones.

HTRN

Gene Chapman
07-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Mochinist, I think the build up of glaze (steel particles) reduces the stone ability to grind the edge. Found a Norton abrasive site and it recomended using kerosene and fiber brush to remove glaze and using silicon carbide paper on a flat plate to recondition the stone surface.

HTRN the dishwasher sounds neat. Will try it.

Samuel
07-30-2006, 01:19 AM
use more lube, enough so that the particles you generate can "float " away. also the kerosene and brush thing.

Samuel

Pat Miles
07-30-2006, 01:24 AM
I have had good luck cleaning stones by just spraying them down with spray carburater cleaner.

Millman
07-30-2006, 03:35 AM
One of the old rules of thumb, clean it till it looks good and cuts. They don't have to be stoned perfectly flat; not only that, an irregular surface teaches your eye how to get the desired finish faster from any handy stone.

thistle
07-30-2006, 05:53 AM
I am a big fan of DMT products, i still have an asortment of stones if I really need to polish a cutting edge though.
If the stone get glazed ,I simply lap it with a DMT 600 grit bench" stone ", and water, this keeps the real stone flat and clean.

Gene Chapman
07-30-2006, 07:49 PM
HTRN, used the dishwasher, wife found them, not bothered though, she is a woodcarver and uses them too.

Thanks for the advise.
Gene C.

tonydacrow
07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Why not soak in a little muriatic acid until it stops fizzing? That will dissolve all the little bits of steel. Just make sure you wash it well afterwards. You may even want to use a little sodium bicarbonate in water to make sure you remove all the acid...

jr45acp
07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
A gunsmith I worked with taught me to use a gum eraser to clean stones. I've had good results with this method.

bcreely
07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I once used an acid/soap solution to clean a whet stone and it ruined it. The cleaner was the type used for cleaning air conditioner coils and the bench stone is one that I use when stoning machine ways.
This bench stone must have been a bonded type because the binder material started to disappear and it was useless after that......Use caution with your favorite stones.

Frank Ford
07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
I use a slurry of loose silicon carbide abrasive and kerosene on a piece of plate glass to "lap" the stone. It scars and breaks up the surface a bit, but the stone cuts better afterward and leaves a fine finish. 80 grit for my coarse stones, up to about 280 or 320 grit for the Arkansas.

quasi
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I use a large coarse diamond impregnated stone to clean and true my other stones.