PDA

View Full Version : CNC Mini Mill/Flea Bay Crazy

Tin Falcon
07-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey guys:
was just browsing flea bay and came across this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-MINITECH-MINI-MILL-3-CNC-MINI-MILL-NEW-IN-2003_W0QQitemZ120013852448QQihZ002QQcategoryZ57122 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Do these folks work for a phamacutical company? I think they are on something?
Or am I missing the point. Can't one buy a new sherline or taig cnc for about half of this??

or less case in point
http://cgi.ebay.com/TAIG-CNC-MILL-WITH-4-AXIS-CONTROLLER-milling-router-NR_W0QQitemZ260014521119QQihZ016QQcategoryZ12584QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slightly Confused
Tin falcon

stuntrunt
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
When I first started looking round for info on cnc mills I ran across this webpage: http://www.minitech.com/
I think they're amazing machines although veeeeery pricy...

PTSideshow
07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
It is made with sherline parts. From the looks of it you get all the software ect. and yes you can get a new cnc sherline knee mill,lathe and computer for a way better price. that one is used in the plastic engraving biz.
Tags plates ect, as the depth from the column to the spindle shows. It is amazing how the sale of some tools a specfic trade. Were the people aren't exposed to the general tool/machine world. Pay some big money for items that can be bought cheaper.
Two that come to mind is the locksmith and jewelry biz. They sell some stuff for outragest prices. It always amazes me when I get the locksmith magazine and a catalog and the little brass hammers they sell for 10 or 15 bucks are the same as the $2.99 ones at harbor fright. Or the key extractor that is coping saw blade half with a brass tube crimped on one end for $6.00. But if you don't now you don't know.
Or the tools for glass bead making can be got at the home,plumbing and welding store for less than the web sites and some of the fancy beader stores sell.:D

Elninio
08-01-2006, 02:42 AM
what a ripoff, you can buy a boxford cnc lathe ! boxford!!!

Mark Hockett
08-01-2006, 03:17 AM
I would buy a Tormach CNC mill for $6800. before I would buy that Minitech mill.

Mark Hockett

kap pullen
08-01-2006, 08:27 AM
I would buy an old cnc bridgeport for $1200. and an AHHA retrofit kit for $3600. and have a real cnc mill.

The old cnc's are frequently in good condition having chrome ways and auto lube.

These machines were frequently not used much because of Bridgeports PIA programming system.

The mats and fadels have had those machines sitting in the corner for years.

That's what I did in the spring and she works fine.

Don't try this unless you can read eletrical drawings and have a basic knowlege of how electrical things work.

Kap

ulav8r
08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Kap,

I often don't complain about spelling, but what are mats and fadels?

Mark Hockett
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I think Kap means Matsura's and Fadals.

Kap, I have a couple of friends who have retrofitted the old BP CNC machines. They are great machines for retrofitting. One friend even has touch screen programming.

The local high school here had a BP CNC donated to them but they don't know what to do with it. They were talking about getting rid of it. I offered to help them get it running but haven't heard anything back from them.

I would like for the high school to have a working CNC mill even if it is to just demo what they can do. It might help get kids more interested in machining. Most kids only get to see them on American Chopper and such for a split second. I have been trying to hire a kid from the metal shop class for a while now. The kids that come to the shop and see my Fadal usually say "That’s like the machine on American Chopper". I finally had one promising kid come work for me. He worked two days and was very sharp, but he got offered a job in construction for more money so now I'm back working alone.

Mark Hockett

lazlo
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
It is made with sherline parts.

Here are some close-up shots. It doesn't look very sturdy:

http://www.minitech.com/hardware/mills/mini_mill_3/mini_mill_03_more_pics.htm

plastikosmd
08-01-2006, 01:20 PM
agreed it is pricy, paid 600 bucks for my used sherline, with full enclosed cabinet, and software...and the computer that had the software on it! on ebay...guess if flew under the radar. guess this is really more of a gloat than a contribution to this thread..:)
scott

HTRN
08-01-2006, 04:32 PM
That's just rediculous. I know where there's a Brute CNC Mill with an Anilam Crusader for sale, for under 5 grand.. and the guy can't find a customer!

Honestly, who are the suckers buying this stuff?

HTRN

PTSideshow
08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Its still a case of its a desk top unit designed for one of's. Models, jewelry and other proptotypes. It is not being sold to the hobbist or machine shop crowd.
the companies and people that are buying them are looking for something that you open the box and the book plug and play type of stuff. His buy it now price is $7,900
Alot of things are sold for more than they are worth.:D

lazlo
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Alot of things are sold for more than they are worth.:D

That should be Ebay's motto.

JCHannum
08-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Isn't it funny that there how often we see two types of posts about eBay.

Those like this with something offered or bid to a seemingly "high" price, and the others from people gloating about the steal they got on eBay.

The mill is being offered at a good price, considering a new machine comparably equipped sells in the $11,500 range. This is not a machine for home shop use, but for commercial use, and will be used to generate income.