PDA

View Full Version : pond lathe

jontwo13
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I was looking at an old lathe sunday about 16 inch swing and 5 foot cc ways are not very bad a few dings an some light rust.The lathe has 3 inch wide flat belt.I think it was made about 1900. The feed if that was what it was has a flat belt. There are 3 step pulleys in back like an old clausing and 3 steps on the spindle and about a 12-16 inch pulley from the motor. The plate on the front says David W Pond Worchester Mass. The headstock end between the legs has this cast into the cast iron legs. There is also an old tractor there with iron wheels that starts with gas and runs on kerosene. This machine was used to run a sawmill in NC. I did not have my camera with me I wii take some pictures the nezt time I go there. I cant find anything much on the internet about the lathe.

Evan
07-31-2006, 03:14 PM
This one?

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/pond.jpg

http://antiquemachinery.com/photo_gallery%20my%20machine%20collection.htm

wierdscience
07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Belt cones driving a shaft that runs down the backside of the lathe ways?

Some old lathes were fitted with a belt driven shaft at the rear to provide power to things mounted on the carrage like toolpost grinders.

Milacron of PM
08-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I owed a small David Pond lathe years ago..perhaps 12 swing x 36 BC. Was literally pulled from a pond...farmer owner got it from a textile mill, I saw it and didn't buy at the time. Called back months later and he admitted he 'throwd it away' in the pond. Somehow latched a chain to it and drug it back out of the pond for purchase by yours truly.

Ancient machine...leadscrew on the backside and no thru hole in the spindle. One large ball at spindle rear serving as thrust bearing.

rvannatta
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I owed a small David Pond lathe years ago..perhaps 12 swing x 36 BC.
Ancient machine...leadscrew on the backside and no thru hole in the spindle. One large ball at spindle rear serving as thrust bearing.

Cope's book devotes several pages to Pond lathes. Quite a story. The father
Lucius started making lathes in 1856 and went to prison for forgary in 1875, and the son David was in the business until he committed suicide in 1897, and the business ultimately became part of Niles a well known name in old lathes. --- :eek:

jontwo13
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
That machine looks alot like it. The motor big 12-16 inch pulley is in the back near the chuck. How does the drive shaft in the front work? The one here looks smooth. would there be some sort of clutch wheel rideing on it to drive the carriage? I saw some weird drives on old sawmills when I was stacking timbers when I was very young. Some of my ancestors here made rifles before and after the civil war.

JCHannum
08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
While cruising the local garage sales today, I ran across a David W. Pond lathe. It is a 14" swing, the bed is probably 5'-6' overall length. It is very similar in appearence to the one Evan shows in the first pic.

The lathe has a flat belt drive to the feed rod in front of the bed for normal cutting, there is a leadscrew at the rear of the machine for threading.

This lathe is very complete, and includes the original three & four jaw chucks and faceplate as well as the toolpost and box full of change gears. It is a cone head, converted to electric motor drive.

It is in good clean condition, and was in use up to a few years ago. It looks like it is ready to go now. It has a $300.00 price tag on it. It would make someone a good restoration project.

Millman
08-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Lathe?...Pond?...Hell, that's Hoffman's line of work.