PDA

View Full Version : Cutter-Grinder Text

jordanforge
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Looking for suggestions/recommendations on a good text detailing cutter grinding set-up and operation for milling cutters and end-mills.
Thanks
Phil

lazlo
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I'd love to find the same thing. There's a mythical Cincinatti Tool and Cutter Grinder manual floating around the 'web that has detailed instructions on tool grinding, but I've never found it, either for download or for sale...

Peter N
08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Looking for suggestions/recommendations on a good text detailing cutter grinding set-up and operation for milling cutters and end-mills.
Thanks
Phil

Phil, I think JCHannum gave you a good pointer for this on the same question you posted yesterday, shown here: http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=20057

If it's not shown on the e-bay shop then try leaving a message for John Stevenson who regularly posts on here, and I'm sure they will sort one out for you.

Peter

JCHannum
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Buy John's by all means, he has the poor woman toiling away in dingy basement working only by the meager light of a single candle.

The Cincinatti manual and the Norton Handbook on Toolroom Grinding are also excellent references.

T&C Grinders are similar to lathes in the respect that once the basic set ups and mathematics are understood, they all operate in a similar manner. Any of the references mentioned will get you started. John's is probably the most bang for the buck as it covers several different manufacturer's manuals.

Norman Atkinson
08-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Go into E-Bay, probably the UK version and access Tool and Cutter Grinders.
John's CD is under MaryPoppinsBag.

I have it for my Clarkson and can recommend it because- and I have said it before- some write ups are actually clearer in the bit for another machine.
John's CD covers several machines.

The usual disclaimers apply

Norm

PS It would seem J C and I are on the same wavelength- sorry

rockrat
08-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Just kidding. Let me know what type of stuff you need out of the books. I have a few others as well, all different. Wont part with them but could be bribed to share. (or I'll just share to be nice) PDF maybe?

rock-

Look, a unicorn!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/books.jpg

JRouche
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Now thats funny. Our motto was "If it flies it dies"

lane
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
You can buy one from K.O.Lee co Aberdeen, S.D. .. Cincinnati, k.o. lee Covel They all say almost word for word the same thing I have all 3 the anly differenc i can find in them is the pictures of the machines

rockrat
08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Our motto was "If it flies it dies"

Nice! That sounds like a gun-bunny slogan to me.

J Tiers
08-02-2006, 11:22 PM
ME's build 'em, and EEs get them to the right address....

Robert Smith "Advanced Machine Work", available from Lindsay, has a goodly section on grinders and tool grinding. Plus a LOT of other useful stuff as well.

Most older shop texts have a fair amount on cutter grinding also.

giddingm
08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I have a copy in my little library...." A Handbook On Tool Room Grinding" Copy rights 1957 and 1965 by the Norton Company.I don't see any book ID codes...It does mention the head office in Worcester, Mass. Area code 617-853-1000...( this number is as old as the book.) It has a couple chapters....even machine grinding chip breakers on brazed tools. Good Luck.

GRH
08-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Check your local Library, that's what I did and they was able to borrow from another library the book by Covel, then I took it to a copy center and xeroxed it.

Regards GRH