PDA

View Full Version : 1"-10 Left Hand tap, anyone, anyone? Buler... Buler...

rockrat
08-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I am in need of a left hand tap 1"-10.

Anyone have one of these they can lend? I'll gladly pay shipping each way on the tap, or I'll send you the part plus return postage.

I have a round part that has the end a bit crushed. Running a tap through would be just the ticket.

rock-

wierdscience
08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
1"-8 & 14 LH I have,but no 10.What is it a wood lathe spindle?

JCHannum
08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
It is not difficult to turn up a tap of mild steel and harden with Kasenite for a simple job of chasing threads. The left hand will make it an interesting exercise.

Sometimes, if there is enough thread on the male threaded part, the female thread can be cleaned up by threading is on and tapping around the crushed end with a plastic or lead hammer. You can beat it back into shape if the section is thin enough.

rockrat
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
This is a nut for my Van Norman arbor. I have 2 of the fasteners (you thought that I was going to say I had 2 nuts didnt you :D ) that are the same size but one was damaged at some point. I can always use the other but just wanted to fix the damaged one.

As for making a tap, migth be a good weekend project.

lane
08-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Dont feel to bad had same problem with my V.N. Just chuck the nut in the lathe and chase the threads. V.N. like a lot of old companys used bastard threads on lots of things how about 1/2 12 thread .You can some times use a 3/4 10 left hand and scrape around in the nut running slooow in the lathe. straighten some threads yesterday like that.

GRH
08-03-2006, 11:43 AM
1/2"-12 is BSW

British Standard Whitworth and is also a 55 deg. included angle, where the Unified series is 60 deg.

GRH

Dick Plasencia
08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm of the same mind as JCHannum, I roll my own. I needed some 1-1/2"-44 taps and dies and almost had a heart attack when I finally located a source and they wanted *wholesale* $70 each! I got a piece of 1018 made the items in about an hour and case hardened with Kasenite. They have been in service doing great for over a year.
If you got a machine shop why buy this stuff made in somebody else's machine shop?