PDA

View Full Version : OT- Internet speed question-Evan?

cuemaker
08-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Phone company says that they can now get DSL to my house which would get me off dial up.

I waited on hold for about 25mins while they tested my home phone number to see what 1 if it would work and 2 at what speeds. They came back and said I can get up to 1.5mb download ( I dont remember upload)

In testing my DSL connection here at my office through a website it says my upload is 4950kbps and 613kbps.

I am not sure what them numbers mean in real world stuff and how 1.5megs compare to my work computer at 4950kbps

Well, damn, I just tested it again through CNET (different than the one before) and it came back with 86808kbps.

Big jump from one test site to another?

Confusing

I have noticed from time to time that my internet will slow down alot- as in takes forever for some websites i normally go to load up.( doesnt matter the website, its obvious its my connection)

Edit: Tried another free website and it came back with 4977kbps.

Evan
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Anything is better than dialup. There are many different flavors of ADSL. Assuming it is the "standard" flavour it has a range from the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) of about 18,000 feet. The further away you go the slower it becomes. Too close also slows it down somewhat. Regardless, most companies will throttle your connection to lower than the maximum possible.

Standard ADSL is capable of around 1.5 megabyte per second which is about 1,500kbs maximum speed at optimal distance from the DSLAM. Optimal distance is about 1/2 mile.

ADSL stands for Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line. The asymmetrical part refers to the fact that download (incoming) speed is higher than outgoing. The outgoing speed maximum possible is about 1/10 of the incoming maximum, or about 150kbs.

It isn't likely that you ever see these speeds as the provider usually throttles the bandwidth. Other varieties of DSL can go faster depending on type.

As for slowdowns, that can be just about anything. The number of users of the local DSLAM will affect it just the same as it does with cable regardless of what the phone companies like to advertise. Bandwidth is bandwidth and there is only so much to go around on any one access point.

Problems can occur that affect large sections of the net as well. One of the more common ones is when a ship drags an anchor and breaks a fiber optic trunk line where it comes ashore. This happen more often than you might think since most of the lines come ashore near port cities. When that happens then the net has to reroute major amounts of traffic around the break and big chunks of the net will slow down or become temporarily unavailable.

CCWKen
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Good Grief! I have a special thought for you folks that have to suffer with DSL and cable. ;) I can't even imagine what that must be like. When I mouse-over my connection indicator, it shows 24.0kbps. :rolleyes: On a good day I might hit 28.8 but get so many errors, I disconnect and redial. I can usually get 26.4kbps and feel dang happy I got that.

Yep, my thoughts are with you. :D

JCHannum
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Good Grief! I have a special thought for you folks that have to suffer with DSL and cable. ;) I can't even imagine what that must be like. When I mouse-over my connection indicator, it shows 24.0kbps. :rolleyes: On a good day I might hit 28.8 but get so many errors, I disconnect and redial. I can usually get 26.4kbps and feel dang happy I got that.

Yep, my thoughts are with you. :D

Yabut UPS delivers to my door.

jburstein
08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
"As for slowdowns, that can be just about anything."

I thought that was when someone tried to send poker chips through your tube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iMDRVzMfEM

-Justin, who thinks Ted Stevens may be senile.

J Tiers
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
The dialup speed is affected by lots of things....

It boils down to maximum error-free speed..... if you have a crummy connection, and listen to the modem try connections with the provider, you will hear it keep trying slower and slower speeds until it gets a connection that transfers data.

I used to have a very noisy line..... sometimes..... like if it rained, wind blew, etc, etc. Sometimes the connection was as slow as 12200, which was actually too slow for my ISP to detect activity..... they would disconnect for no activity in the middle of a transfer (or possibly the noise imitated a disconnect).

After I was able to prove to the phone co that there was a problem (trouble report nearly drowned out by the noise), it got fixed, and nominal connection speed went back up to 48000.

But, although the actual transfer speed may be high, the "throttling" may be a time-slotting where you get no bandwidth for some time, and it is then restored..... short times, like a few seconds of no transfer, then full transfer, then nothing, etc, etc. Others may do something similar that looks more like a straight slowdown.

Wirecutter
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Arrgh. Dialup. Your modem says 28.8 Kbps? You probably never get that. Same with 33.3Kbps, and probably for the "56K" modems.

I worked in the telcom (ugh) business for years. I did a lot of networking, and worked with many modems. I even built up my own telephone "loop current power supply" so I could connect phones and modems together without the phone network. (For tests, long story)

The only time I've ever actually seen a modem connect at full speed was when connecting two of them together using my loop current supply and using moderate length wires. (Too close is also bad - like having someone shouting in your ear) The modem speed claims are, like so many things, hype. The 56K modems are limited to 53K by order of the FCC here in the States, due to the excessive crosstalk encountered when running them full speed. (And no, you can't connect 56K modems back-to-back and get full speed - you have to connect to special "other" equipment to reach max speed) I seriously doubt that even 1% of 56K modem users ever even get 53K.

Having said all of that, it was still always my experience that, whatever ISP I was using, they wouldn't even "fill up the pipe" on a dialup connection. That is to say, even if you're connecting at 24Kbps, you're not getting data at that rate. If you don't believe me, do a modem to modem connection with a friend and do some file transfer tests. You'll get more data transfer than with an ISP.

The same is true for us DSL users, but we still get more speed than dialup users. Once again, it's all about money. Just like airlines, just about all data transport services (ISPs, etc) "overbook", promising more "product" than they actually have infrastructure to handle. For them, it's better to have traffic jams than it is to have underused infrastructure that costs the same whether it's being used or not.

Sure, I love having DSL. But there's a difference between "connection speed" and the rate at which you're actually sending/receiving data.

-Mark

Evan
08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Mark is correct about the modem speeds. I had a dialup connection before I installed the satellite. My dialup connection wasn't an ordinary one though. I have a machine set up in my computer store that has a connection to the ADSL and a modem configured to accept incoming connections. Through an undocumented "feature" in Win XP I bridged the incoming dialup connection to the ADSL. From home I would dial in to the shop and connect at 33k. That is the fastest that a "56k" modem can go talking to another 56k modem. Because my shop computer would fill the pipe as fast as it could this dialup connection was much faster than when I connected by dialup through the telephone company even though the phone company connection showed connected at 52k.

CCWKen
08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Yabut UPS delivers to my door.

LOL... Yeah, normally they do here too--Literally to the door. The driver pulls right up the back deck and hands the stuff out. The dogs always make a racket whenever they hear the truck. That's how I know he's coming.

Must have a new driver on this route. My stuff is 30 miles away sitting on some one's "Porch". It's parts for my Model T and I need them.

Back on topic:
I guess I should feel lucky to have a phone line out here in the sticks. Electric and indoor plumbing is a bonus! :D

HTRN
08-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Something alot of you may want to look into is FiOS - it's almost as cheap as dialup(Hell, verizon is running a special locally - first year at 10mbit $29.95/mo), and even the really fast speeds are reasonable - $54.95 for 30mbit.

HTRN

LastOldDog
08-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Surely someone can give a brief explaination of baud rate, handshake, packets, ACK & NAK, and observable throughput. I'd like to replace my TELEX with my new-in-box TWX machine with the paper tape punch. Ding . . . ding . . .ding.

Lloyd

Evan
08-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a TI Silent Writer downstairs somewhere. Last I checked a few decades ago it still worked. It does have a bell.

Rich Carlstedt
08-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey guys
I get DSL here in Green Bay for 11.95 a month
You have to sign a one year contract, but the DSL Modem is free..
Cooking !
Rich

Evan
08-04-2006, 01:49 AM
That's nice. My satellite internet cost $900 for the gear, installation and taxes plus $55 per month.