PDA

View Full Version : Misc,crap and boxes of junk?

wierdscience
08-06-2006, 04:47 PM
We all have them,those cans,boxes,draws and closets full of crap.

By crap I mean left over screws,paper clips,wire,little metal brackets,various odds and ends too good to just pitch,not good enough to share shelf space.

So what are your solutions? Leave them on the front steps of people you don't like ,driveway gravel or just close your eyes and throw?:D

A.K. Boomer
08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
We all have them,those cans,boxes,draws and closets full of crap.

By crap I mean left over screws,paper clips,wire,little metal brackets,various odds and ends too good to just pitch,not good enough to share shelf space.

So what are your solutions? Leave them on the front steps of people you don't like ,driveway gravel or just close your eyes and throw?:D

Do like everybody else does,,, hoard them till you die and then it will become somebody elses problem in the estate sale.... thats what im going to do -- its also how i got half of my crap....

PTSideshow
08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
throw it out if I haven't used it or looked at it in two years. After removing anything of scarp value. then pitch it. Unless it of use to somebody and it can be sold for a couple bucks. But all the bits and componet pieces that I don't use gets removed. This year I have started taking useable stuff like nails, left over building stuff ect to the local habitat/humanity restore store. Get a tax donation and they get a couple of bucks when they sell it. and somebody may think they got a steal at the prices they charge.:D

Just a side note in the Detroit area they have started to steal AC units and fridge units from roofs of stores and the outdoor units at homes. While they are running. Using a battery sawall type saw to cut thru the wires. guess I will have to move the scrap buckets in side now. Copper #1( pipe, chunks ect) $2.50 a pound.

JCHannum
08-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Who was it who had two drawers, one marked pieces of string, the other marked pieces of string too short to save?

tattoomike68
08-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Do like everybody else does,,, hoard them till you die and then it will become somebody elses problem in the estate sale.... thats what im going to do -- its also how i got half of my crap....

Amen , Yea buddie. :D

matador
08-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Crap?No such thing.Only good,useful,come-in -handy some day stuff:D.
Murphy's law dictates that 2 days after you sling it in the bin,you'll find a use for it,and nothing else will do!.
I guess most hsm'ers tend to be hoarders,that's par for the course.
I need to have a clean-out of my "ready -use" shelf.

CCWKen
08-06-2006, 06:51 PM
throw it out if I haven't used it or looked at it in two years.

That doesn't work either. My Model T has been sitting for nearly four years and I'm finally getting a chance to work on it. I'm finding parts all over the place. Items that I started on then boxed up and put away.

Crap? Well maybe a little but I might use it some day. Like the 1950 Montgomery Ward table saw pieces. Or the trunk full of antique tools. Not to mention all those engine brackets I've accumulated. Heck, I've even been using some of the 300lbs. of 5/8 and 3/4" bolts! Hydraulics, electrics, levers and gears. I have a number of great machines! I just need to put the parts together. :D

The worst thing about this thread is that it reminds me of all the projects I still have on the list. :(

TECHSHOP
08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Spent the last two days rearranging my outside shed, mostly putting like with like. I use 5 gal buckets for the little pieces that will (eventually) go to scrappy. Rarely has anything useful been rescued out of those buckets, but I keep looking, a wasteful mistake may have happened.

The longer stuff, mostly steel and AL get saved in 55 gal barrels, all these are on wheels, and nothing too short to stick out the top gets placed in these barrels. First place I look, when I design/start a "shop project".

I have a wooden vertical racks for all those "short" (<= 2ft) pieces of all thread, rod, tube, etc. shorted by metal. It is just about 20 holes in a board with "blocking" to keep the different lengths at "eye level".

I hoard all the screws, nails, bolts, etc. I can find. I try to keep them sorted. I have a few of those Durham cabinets, but that is the last place I actually store them, but the first place I look.

Sheets goods: metal, plastic, plywood, MDF, etc. are always a problem to store, what I want is always on the bottom of the pile.

Wood, eventually gets used (as much as possible), chipped/composted (summer) or burned (winter heat), so there is a constant flow, but I have more than a few (thousand) board feet "in waiting".

There's no such thing as junk.... There's only the lack of a place to keep all of it.

PeteM
08-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Put them in giant ziplock bags and give them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Imagine all those unfortunate kids who haven't yet had a chance to accumulate a huge box full of miscellaneous hardware. For a buck, Goodwill can set them on their way . . .

Tin Falcon
08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
W.S.:
I know what you mean. When I was in my twentys my dad worked at a place that rebuilt Jet engines. He was the janitor. When he swept the floor he picked up the screws nuts washers o-rings etc he found on the floor. These items went into his pocket when he got home they went into a jar. I kept one of these jars on my desk. when I needed a nut or machine screw I would dump the contents of the jar onto a tray and sort through. 9 times out of ten I found what i needed. Now that I am older I try to have things organized. How come it takes twice as long to find something?
When I worked at the boat yard we always had a container of left over hardware when we were done a proto-type.Usualy about a 5 quart bucket up to the gallon line. It was not cost effective to pay someone to sort it out so it was free for the taking . So I have a five gallon bucket of stainless steel fasteners.
Just a about every place I have worked has had liberal scrap privledges so I have a pretty good supply of stock for the "next" project. I think it is sometimes a challenge to keep the "Stock" the tools & jigs and the parts for the works in progress from getting mixed up.
A buddy of mine very much of a scounger loved finding "Junk and taking it apart, He had pieces of stuff everywhere. When he came home after WW2 he had bought a new Harley. At some point in time it quit running and he had taken it apart to repair rebiuld it. Well it sat around in boxes and baskets for years. Finaly a couple of years befor my friend passed away someone bought the harley, still in boxes. My buddy got $5,000 for it.
Tin

Evan
08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Refer to Boomers answer.

IOWOLF
08-07-2006, 06:02 AM
You guys think small.I have a 30 x 40 building full of such stuff.
Any horizontal surface is a shelf.

Peter N
08-07-2006, 07:26 AM
I have a 30 x 40 building.....

Lucky buggers:D
Some of us have to cram lathes, mills, and grinders into an 8ft x 8ft space:eek:

Peter

Evan
08-07-2006, 07:41 AM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/g1.jpg

Wirecutter
08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
throw it out if I haven't used it or looked at it in two years.

I used to do that, but then I always need it at about two years and a week - after the trash man has carted it off. :D

-Mark

A.K. Boomer
08-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Good God Evan,,, And this painting I like to call "organized chaos"

PTSideshow
08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Since I have been quoted about throwing it out. When people you know bring you stuff that has all them widgets in it to use for things. Some times you have to bite the bullet and throw something out.
Evan I see your wall and raise two other walls in the shop! Don't make me show you the basement shop :rolleyes:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSC01893-1.jpg
east wall wood and long metal stock
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSC01888-1.jpg
west wall divider
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSC01887-1.jpg
north wall

ERBenoit
08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
I will save anything that stands "potential" use, though I know I will never use it. Then I will fret about the lack of space I have from doing so.

I am trying to clean hose though. I know I have to get rid of some of these things. I have no room in my multi-use shop area to do anything anymore.

Slowly as I clean house, perhaps I could "donate" (if so permitted) those "potential use" items that I know I will never use, to someone here whom could use them. Give aways on the board fall within the rules, Yes??

Too_Many_Tools
08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Messy shops? That is not what I see.

Everything seems to be organized and in its designated place.

Very good usage of space that costs you money whether you use it or not.

Anyone else want to apply for the messiest shop?

TMT

A.K. Boomer
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Iv seen enough! no wonder you guys have to be so nice to your wives...

dont ever move bro,,, stay there till you kack-out...

old-biker-uk
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Sold a few bits of junk on ebay - recieved a question about the items - turned out to be from my daughter pointing out that I needed to get rid of a LOT more than was up for sale, replied by saying that my w/shops may be full of 'junk' but it was her inheritance !
Mark

Evan
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not going to show the other walls. They aren't as neat and tidy. That also doesn't count the four storage sheds and the barn. Or the spare room upstairs. Or the one down stairs. Or the other one. Or my shop in town.

I don't throw things out unless they are starting to smell bad.

Move? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hee hee hee..... Feet first maybe.