PDA

View Full Version : OT bump in the night

PTSideshow
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
here is something to keep people up at night. And yes it works not as good as in the clip everytime. A hammer even works better, faster. You don't have to get the key in the lock LOL. When they will steal Running AC units outside a house with people in it, the only thing that will stop them is a gun.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/bump-keying-1-keys-open-any-lock/

Magic9r
08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Got good old fashioned 5 lever Mortice locks on all my doors, even before this it only took a battery drill with a good bit, a screwdriver and a minutes work for cylinder locks, wouldn't ever use 'em myself.

Wareagle
08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Pretty scary stuff! A mean dog and a large caliber firearm should do the trick.

Along those lines, with the economy like it is and people stealing everything but the paint off of your car, it surprises me that there hasn't been any more shootings or violence than there has been. I guess the thieves haven't been bold enough to take to chance of a confrontation with a home owner/renter/occupant.

Elninio
08-09-2006, 04:46 AM
dont worry, they wont steal ur lathe or mill, theyll need more than a key to get away with that :D

giddingm
08-12-2006, 08:15 PM
I guess my house contents are really safe while I'm at work....might as well not have a lock at all! Thanks for the Posting...very interesting.

Millman
08-13-2006, 08:45 AM
{{ and people stealing everything but the paint off of your car,}} What...you still have paint??

HTRN
08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Uhm, you guys do know that burglers don't pick locks, and don't come in through the front door, right? They like to break in through a back door(sliding glass patio doors are a favorite), or window, and then make beeline for the master bedroom, grabbing whatever guns, jewelry, and prescription drugs they can get their hands on. The idea is to be in and out before the security company responds.

HTRN

rockrat
08-13-2006, 06:12 PM
This method has been around for a while. The fellow in the video posted here is the same fellow that has been on the H2K lockpicking video. They talked about bumping locks a bit. But they even said that there is a chance of jamming the lock so that it will not operate correctly. So, for the junior lot just trying to help a neighbor out, this is not the way to do it. If you jam the lock good enough, then ya got to find another method & replace the lock.

There is a tool called a slapper gun (bump gun) used for cars a bit. Works on the same idea. A little pressure on the tumblers and give them a bump.

So you have those that try to open locks for the fun of breaking the puzzle and you have those who want to steal. No one cares about the puzzle guys.

As for the theft, HTRN has a good take. Most who steal are opportunists. It just so happens that they found an unlocked garage and took what they could. If they want in and your not home, smash a window or pry a door.

Remember the old saying, if the guy really wants your car, he'll get a towtruck and just take it.

rock-

Backyard
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
My son works a a Ford Dealership, and he told me that the cars with keyless doors, like i have. If someone wants to steal it all thay have to do is get the vin. no. off the dash (look through the wendshield of you car) and go to a ford Dealership and give them the vin. no. and thay will make a new key for it. Then thay come back and can get in your car when thay want. bye bye new car !

slowtwitch
08-14-2006, 07:03 AM
I'm the locksmith at the foundation I work for and I've used this method for a while. One thing to remember, locks only keep the honest folk out ;)

pete

Optics Curmudgeon
08-14-2006, 12:22 PM
"get the vin. no. off the dash (look through the wendshield of you car) and go to a ford Dealership and give them the vin. no. and thay will make a new key for it."

Only if they are either incompetent or crooked. They are required to get more than a VIN to do things like that.

Joe

Evan
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't bother to lock my house. It only increases the damage. It wouldn't make the slightest difference anyway.

Here in Williams Lake the bump key of choice is a stolen vehicle. They just drive through the front door.

Backyard
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
This has already be done to get keys for cars i'm telling you.

Optics Curmudgeon
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Did I say it couldn't be done (or hadn't)? No. Did I say that only an incompetent or crooked dealer (breaking the rules) would do it? Yes.

EDMTech
08-14-2006, 07:50 PM
My son works a a Ford Dealership, and he told me that the cars with keyless doors, like i have. If someone wants to steal it all thay have to do is get the vin. no. off the dash (look through the wendshield of you car) and go to a ford Dealership and give them the vin. no. and thay will make a new key for it. Then thay come back and can get in your car when thay want. bye bye new car !

In most states. (all?), that is VERY illegal. Not to say it does not happen, but the dealership, if caught, is liable for both the car AND the legal penalties.

I worked at 4 dealerships, and policy on cutting a key off of a VIN was always clear and inflexible. Proof of ownership, identification, and VIN was required. More often than not; it meant a title or copy of the finance papers, drivers licence, etc. Not sure if the police were also notified or not, but it wouldn't be a bad practice. I'm sure there was also some paper trail other than the receipt.

Evan
08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
That trick won't work if the car has an immobilizer as standard equipment like my PT Cruiser.

rockrat
08-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Here in Williams Lake the bump key of choice is a stolen vehicle. They just drive through the front door.

I remember walking into a favorite small parts electronic store (as well as stereos) in my youth and wondering why there were 6 well casings filled with concrete in the sidewalk outside one day. When I asked the store keep, Billy (the local wizard of ohms law) what the deal was he told me that his insurance company had suggested it. They gave him a discount on his rates so he did it over the weekend. He related a story similar to the above.

Now days, the crack junkies would just steal a dump truck and ram it through the window. Hell, the use tow-trucks to steal ATM's now.

And I also leave my car unlocked. I got tired of cleaning up the glass when I was in college.

rock-