PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Golf Ball Pro's

spinrow
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
In the current MW issue(8/9-06) under TIPS & TRICKS the author of "GOLF BALL HANDLES" states his " only tip is to make sure the golf balls are not liquid filled."
Does anyone know how I could tell if a golf ball is liquid filled(prior to drilling), what is the liquid filling, is it hazardous, and what precautions should be taken? Thanks Paul

ASparky
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Not poisonous. The hazard is that if not carefull you and the workshop will be covered in it. As for precuations, wear a rain coat! More seriously try a small test hole ( I used a batttery portable drill over the sink) without holding the golf ball in a vise or at least not tightly so as to not to compress the liquid inside. It will still squirt out a little so be prepared.

gizmo2
08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Top Flites are solid. Easily obtained. Don't use Titleists, they are wound. Those are two real common brands. Skin on a wound ball is approx. 1/16" thick, so you'll know pretty soon if you're into brown rubber bands. Rubber bands don't drill so good either. Solid balls can be most any color inside, but I don't recall ever seeing brown. It'll drill cleanly. You should be good to go now!

IOWOLF
08-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Author here, most modern G-balls are ok,as a matter of fact I have never seen a liquid filled ball.
But someone has I suppose,therefore the warning.

mjydrafter
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Most of todays balls are solid core. The older "wound" balls are getting pretty rare.

Here are some balls to watch for liquid centers; Titleist Tour Balata, Titleist Professional, or Hogan 428 Balata. These are older, and you probably won't see too many.

john hobdeclipe
08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't know what the liquid is in the core of some golf balls, but my 40 year old memory of unwinding a couple is that the stuff smells horrible.

Millman
08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
It does smell. Why would you ask for opinions on drilling a golf ball? If the thought scares you that bad;;;don't do it,,,leave it to us professionals to drill the hole for you.. Send me the ball;; I will send a hand-written report for 200.00 USA. Can't believe people are still afraid of their own golfballs and their skills?????

Lynn Standish
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
My Labrador used to love the wound balls. He'd get the cover off, then give the windings a crunch and hold his nose down to the ball and wait for the windings to "pop" and sting his nose. Then he'd do it again.

IOWOLF
08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Dogs are stupid that way,A cat would get snaped and hide for an hour,then do it again.

PHiers
08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I drill golf balls all the time, I use them for file handles. They fit my hand and keep the tang from stabbing me. It also gives me something to do with all the golf balls I wear out. :D

Mcgyver
08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
It also gives me something to do with all the golf balls I wear out. :D

you are a hero to millions

spinrow
08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all for your replies. I will proceed with your recommendations. Paul

mjydrafter
08-09-2006, 09:32 AM
The liquid is usually corn syrup and or saline solution. Not toxic or deadly, could be smelly, but cheap.

I used to love cutting the covers off golfballs when I was a kid. cut around the circumfrence with dads hacksaw so you can pop the cover off and watch the rubberband winding take off like wierd little dervish, going this way and that. I remember they had a strange smell too.

Evan
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I had a bad experience with a golf ball as a child. I threw one down on the concrete as hard as I could to see how high it would bounce. It only bounced about 4 feet high as it met my forehead.

Wareagle
08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I had a bad experience with a golf ball as a child. I threw one down on the concrete as hard as I could to see how high it would bounce. It only bounced about 4 feet high as it met my forehead.
Ah-hah, so that's what happen to you... :D

Guido
08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
mjydrafter-------------you bring back long gone memories, my side still hurts. We used Boy Scout knives to peel off the covers, then toss one or two to the monkeys in the monkey pit at OKC's Lincoln Park Zoo, next door to the golf course. Monkeys would curiously pick up the rubber banded ball, then a buddy would want it. First guy would put the ball in his mouth and haul ass--------until the rubber bands started to flip his kisser, then an about face as he jumped five feet in the air. Then second guy would pickup the ball and the show would start over. Zoo people asked us not to do it anymore------------every saturday---------------
G

Evan
08-09-2006, 05:36 PM
That's nothing. I shouldn't be alive. As a child I once free fell 40 feet into the bottom of a ravine. Only broke two bones in my right arm. Another time I crashed going down the downhill run at Squaw Valley doing about 60mph. Nearly killed myself going down a very steep newly paved hill on a machine called a Flexi Flyer, basically a sled with wheels designed by somebody trying to get rid of children. 37 stitches from that one. Fell 16 feet out of a tree and landed on my back. Couldn't breathe for several minutes. Nearly went off a cliff a couple of hundred feet down on my bicycle in the Berkeley hills. Lost the brakes from complete fadeout in the same hills driving an early model Mustang street racing. Almost went off another cliff on a Norton Atlas when a buddy wouldn't lean enough on a mountain road. May have had polio when I was about 6, both my parents did and were told to wind up their affairs, both survived. Nearly died from an allergic reaction to penicillin when I was 8 given because of a life threatening strep throat infection. Was riding a chairlift at a ski resort when I was 14 and the chair ahead of us was swinging back and forth. Then it fell off and plunged 75 feet to the ground. Broke a binding on the last run of the day at 9000 feet on the ridge run at Heavenly Valley. Nobody coming down behind me. Skied down to the 5000 ft level on one ski.

Those are just some of the incidents. There have been others when and since I was a child. I figure I am living on "free" time.