PDA

View Full Version : shaper internal spline cutting

Alistair Hosie
08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I would like to use my shaper for cutting internal grooves splines etc how does one come by the tool needed for this? I assume you cannot buy them now so it must be a question of making one myself.Also I would like to extend the box table to accommodate a spin indexer for gear cutting etc any one done this please let me know regards Alistair Bigfoot :D

Michael Moore
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Alistair, take a look at the two articles from ME on gear cutting with a shaper on my website. Also, here's a nice website article on cutting internal splines:

http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/internal_spline/

cheers,
Michael

lazlo
08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Michael,

Thanks so much for those spline articles! I'm almost finished building a 1/4 HP powered slotting head for my lathe, and I'm trying to figure out how to mount the cutting tool without making a clapper box.

Robert

Michael Moore
08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Robert, the Rhodes slotter brochures don't seem to show a clapper box, so perhaps it isn't totally needed, especially since the inner face of a spline is not likely to provide a spot where the slight dragging of the tool back over the part would show as an obvious mar. You might look at the Rhodes slotter patent to see if it shows anything that takes the place of the clapper box.

If you do need a clapper box, perhaps you can restrict it to a very slight movement so it doesn't rattle around inside the bore of the part being splined.

cheers,
Michael

ASparky
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Never done it but I would wonder about a chip or shaving getting in the wrong place without a clapper.

Optics Curmudgeon
08-08-2006, 10:37 PM
When cutting internal keyways or splines, etc. on the shaper the clapper is usually held down with a stiff spring or such. Sometimes clamped hard, but that's not reccomended. The Logan shaper had a spring assembly as part of the clapper that could be quickly engaged to do this. I put a coil spring betwen the toolholder and feedhead body. Done plenty of hand powered keyway cutting on the lathe with no clapper at all.

Joe

John Stevenson
08-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Vertical slotters which as designed for internal keyway and spline work don't have a clapper box.
Using a clapper box internally is a recipe for disaster.

Here's mine that shows to tool clamping layout clearly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/ravensburgh1.jpg

Alistair Hosie
08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi John another lovely machine did you have to paint it boring green Evan will be furious again! :DAlistair

lynnl
08-09-2006, 11:37 AM
I would like to use my shaper for cutting internal grooves splines etc how does one come by the tool needed for this? I assume you cannot buy them now so it must be a question of making one myself.Also .....
Alistair Bigfoot :D

Alistair, as I recall GA Ewan posted some nice pictures of a shaper tool holder for that purpose that he had made. I can't even begin to recall what thread it was in, but a search here might find it for you.

Lynn

Alistair Hosie
08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I had another look at that machine of yours John it's obviously a dedicated machine I seem to recall when you posted about buying it a while ago or am I talking about a different machine.Please give us more details of it if you can its a very smart looking baby Alistair p.s obviously a big baby:DAlistair

lazlo
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Robert, the Rhodes slotter brochures don't seem to show a clapper box, so perhaps it isn't totally needed, especially since the inner face of a spline is not likely to provide a spot where the slight dragging of the tool back over the part would show as an obvious mar. l

Right, that was what I was encouraged by -- that the Rhodes slotter brochures on your web page used a fixed slotting head (and as John confirms with his picture two posts down). The pictures you have of the Logan Slotting toolholder, and Don Kinzer's similar slotting/splining head look perfect for what I've constructed so far, especially this "stubby" version:

http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/shaper_toolholder/stubby_toolpost2.jpg

I've used a 1" Thompson linear rail as the ram on my slotting head, and it has a counter-sunk mounting hole on the end just like Don's stubby toolpost. So if I can anneal the end of the hardened rod and broach a square toolholder hole, I can use the mounting screw to hold the slotting tool.

John Stevenson
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Alistair,
It's called a tool room slotter and the main difference is between that and the big old slotter's is on this it has a knee, just like a mill and the slotting head is fixed.
On the older type the bed is fixed and you move the ram.

Stroke is adjustable 0 to 6" and the slide can spin 30 degrees either side to do tapered keys.

It's green as it came out of RAF Cranwell training school, in fact it was still on the pallet it was delivered on !

Weighs about two tons, power feed in all table axis, cross, in and rotary table.

I also bought an Alba 18" shaper about the same time for £80 off Ebay but I parted that out as it took too much room up for what it could do.

The slotter gets a lot of work on repairing hydraulic spline drives .

Alistair Hosie
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
that shaper was also nice thanks John one day I will come down and see you as you have a great workshop and do some great work.Alistair