PDA

View Full Version : Simple math,light construction and crackheads

wierdscience
08-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Oh,boy this is a good one.Boss has a building next door that he wants another door cut into.Classic 1950's commercial construction,clay block walls covered in stucco.

Typical method for doing this is to establish a level line on the exterior of the wall,layout for the cut and drill two holes all the way through the wall one hole at each side of the new opening and cut half way through the wall.Then repeat the same on the interior wall using the two holes to establish a datum line for the inside cut.

Well the rocket scientist he hiredto do this job measured up from the parking lot on the exterior and then up from the floor on the interior and cut.When they knocked it out suprise,the parking lot outside was actually 4" higher than the floor inside:D And as an added bonus the cut at top where the new header is to go is also 4" offset:D

So,that meant I spent the last two days welding and cutting a new "offset" header which I hopefully will set in place tommorow after which hopefully I can cuddle up infront of a nice cool fan in the shop again:D

Like the man said-"that crack don't smoke itself"

JRouche
08-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Haaa, now thats something I would have done, whats these clucks names, might be related.

Watch yer head on the entrance, a real head banger.

Suppose the floor woulda been lower either way though so only the offset is an issue. I would have opened up the inside wall to match the outside, keep ya from knockin yer knoggin on that ceiling step. JRouche

wierdscience
08-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Haaa, now thats something I would have done, whats these clucks names, might be related.

Watch yer head on the entrance, a real head banger.

Suppose the floor woulda been lower either way though so only the offset is an issue. I would have opened up the inside wall to match the outside, keep ya from knockin yer knoggin on that ceiling step. JRouche

Al Coholic & Sons :D

It wouldn't have been any problem since the outside cut would have been the finished height of the header,it just would have been a step down into the building easily handled by a long gentle gypsum cement slope to be added later.It's still gonna work since there is a transom light going in over the aluminum commercial door,that light will just be 4" shorter.

Kicker is I knew the floor was low,since just three years ago they had the parking lot paved and while in that process they improved the drainage by sloping the asphalt away from the building.Only problem is I am always last to know what the plans are around here,but always first to be called to fix the screwups,go figure:D

speedsport
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
maybe somene should introduce the guy to a water level, and explain how to use it.

dicks42000
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe the wall sawing guy knows about water-pipes but not about water levels....

ERBenoit
08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
.....always first to be called to fix the screwups, go figure:D

Man, does that sound familiar!

Optics Curmudgeon
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Sounds just like a Fawlty Towers episode I saw once, where Basil hires a cheap builder (against his wife's advice, of course) to put a door through a wall.

Joe

wierdscience
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Sounds just like a Fawlty Towers episode I saw once, where Basil hires a cheap builder (against his wife's advice, of course) to put a door through a wall.

Joe

Haha...I remeber that one-"tell the builder he is a hairy baboon":D:D