PDA

View Full Version : First "serious" project

fraker
08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi guys.

Well, after having spent some time getting used to my new lathe and bending everyone's ears in here. I finally got around to actually MAKING something useful. :D

Below you will find a link to a picture of a Tap Guide, my first project.
Its made of mild steel.4" long from the tip of the spring loaded plunger to the end of the shank.

I thought about threading the lower body to hold the plunger and spring in place, but, instead, decided to thread the shank into the main body instead.

Nothing anywhere near as good as you guys can do I am sure. But, i'm pleased with it.

Once again. thanks for all your help in the past :)
Bill

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/fraker/TapGuide-1.jpg

winchman
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/fraker/TapGuide-1.jpg

Well, it's certainly nice enough to show the picture right here.

Maybe you could post a picture of it in use, too?
Roger

Millman
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Fine work. Simple and useful...that's the only way. I think you may have polished on it too long.

LarryinLV
08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Very nice.

Now you need to shorten all the handles on your tap holders to fit your lathe swing, put a nice knurl on the ends, etc. etc. There is no end to it you know.

Mcgyver
08-10-2006, 02:18 PM
great sense of accomplishment in making stuff yourself isn't there? looks good, but i must be missing the obvious - how is it used?

Evan
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Chuck in tailstock and use it to push tap held in tap wrench into work straight. The pin is spring loaded.

Nice job too. I will have to put that on my list. I need a longer piece of paper.

IOWOLF
08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
That'll do just fine,Nice.

hornluv
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Looks great Bill! If it's 4" long, that would put the shank at 3/8" in diameter, the body at 1/2" and the plunger around 3/16" right? What kind of spring did you use on the inside. Could you give us a sketch showing the guts of it? Great job.

Stuart

Alistair Hosie
08-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I will have to put that on my list. I need a longer piece of paper.
Sorry Evan paper won't do youll need some mild steel paper will simply not be strong enough :DAlistair

rockrat
08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Nice job!

rock-

Wareagle
08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Very nice work! If this is a 'first' project, then you are way ahead of the learning curve!

fraker
08-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi again guys.

Thanks for all your kind words, they make a newbie like me feel even more pleased with his meagre achievements.

Just for the record Millman, I didn't polish on it too long, as you suggested.Though I will admit it does look that way.
I merely gave it a quick going over with three grades of Scotchbrite.

The excessive shine on it is from the light of my flatbed scanner.
(I don't, as yet, have a digital camera as my finances are a little limited right now. Being unemployed as I am)

I did think about putting a knurl on it, as I do have a knurling tool. However, I haven't taken the time to get used to using that tool yet. So, rather than run the risk of screwing this up...

Now comes confession time...

The spring I used on this, actually came from an old ballpoint pen. Not overly strong, but it seems to do the job well enough. (How cheapskate is THAT?) :p

The overall length is 96mm, the shank is 30mm long and 10mm in Dia and threaded to M6 The main body is 45 mm long and 14mm in Dia and threaded to accept the shank.
While the plunger is 26mm long and 4mm Dia.

Below is an exploded view

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/fraker/TapGuide1.jpg

Bill

Mortimerex
08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
I can't believe your first project is a "serious" one. I thought the purpose of homeshop machines was to make toys, I mean er, tools. Yeah, thats it.

Just kidding and congratulations.

hornluv
08-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the exploded view. That helps a lot!

Stuart

john hobdeclipe
08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Looks good! Thanks for the exploded pic. I'll be making one of those.