PDA

View Full Version : help buying a mill

Elninio
08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
finally another good offer not far from me!

http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/f7/81/8b_3.JPG

its about 100kms from me, and i dont think its possible for me to go see it in person, the column looks pretty rusty but the table looks totally clean, this is the best of all pictures that the seller has, how much do you think this mill is worth? comes with a kurt type vice and rot table, some mills, and a clamping set. help!!! - the seller says he had it cnc'ed with gecko drives but now hes selling it to use the gecko drive on his gantry cnc router .. also he says the mill was produced sometime in the 80's and that its made by atlas, and that he bought it 2 years ago used, he claims its by atlas but he says that he took the plate off and that he cannot find it anymore

J Tiers
08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
It looks very much the same as my father-in-law's Enco from teh early 1980's.

If it is, it is workable, reasonably heavy (700lb/320kG), etc.

The rust on the column will either clean up with steel wool etc, or maybe wipe off if it is really old grease.

We cleaned up the dad-in-law's after a garage fire in which lots of things got water soaked and rusty (fire was very small electrical fire, F.D. poured water on everything, carefully filling up all toolboxes). That was real rust, and it is OK now.

BUT.... buying machinery off ebay, sight-unseen, from someone who either has no clue or is trying to fool you, is not recommended.

I wouldn't do it, no telling what he lost besides the plate.... You won't get parts for it easily if at all.

Elninio
08-12-2006, 04:50 AM
what should i know about the wear on the bed? deliver is pretty cheap @ .8 $ per km within 200km, i'll try to arrange to see if i can see it in person, it would probably worth the drive if i can get it for cheap

JCHannum
08-12-2006, 07:54 AM
A 200KM round trip would be a very small investment to make compared to purchasing a potential money pit.

Atlas briefly distributed a small mill drill. This is not one of those. It looks like one of the many early mill drills. As such, it may not be a bad deal, but if it has been modified and then unmodified, chances are good that more than a nameplate are missing, and an inspection would be warranted if spending more than a couple of hundred dollars.

As far as delivery, with minor disassembly, two people with a pickup or van can move one of these. When getting moving prices, check to see if the figure is per mile/KM or per loaded mile/KM.

Elninio
08-12-2006, 05:08 PM
A 200KM round trip would be a very small investment to make compared to purchasing a potential money pit.

Atlas briefly distributed a small mill drill. This is not one of those. It looks like one of the many early mill drills. As such, it may not be a bad deal, but if it has been modified and then unmodified, chances are good that more than a nameplate are missing, and an inspection would be warranted if spending more than a couple of hundred dollars.

As far as delivery, with minor disassembly, two people with a pickup or van can move one of these. When getting moving prices, check to see if the figure is per mile/KM or per loaded mile/KM.

what do you mean by LOADED mile/km? isnt the transport vehicle going to be loaded either way if hes gonna drop the mill to my location?

lazlo
08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
what should i know about the wear on the bed?

Judging by the pristine table, that mill/drill hasn't seen a lot of use. The light rust would indicate that it was bought and never used, or used very rarely.

A quick way to check wear on the ways: center the table and snug up the gibs, and wind the table across the whole length of travel. If it moves easily in the middle, and is very tight at the ends, then there's probably wear in the ways, or the acme screws, or both.

JCHannum
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Loaded mile is the distance traveled with the load. Some just charge that while others charge round trip from their door back to their door.

You can end up with very different costs depending on the method used to charge.

Elninio
08-13-2006, 02:33 AM
but why would i want him to drive all the way over to my place for a price if hes not gonna be bringing the mill with him ??? :D

J Tiers
08-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I still think you should go look at it..... and if you like it maybe you can do the deal, ebay or not. Some sellers are like that.

In any case, the facts are that the seller states that he modified the unit.

Then he says he un-modified it later.

From the picture, he clearly didn't get all the parts back on it, even ones that I don't see a good reason for him to have taken off.

The piece looks to be 1980s vintage, and you confirm that, indicating that parts will be tough to get.... 20+ year old asian machine probably sold thru Enco.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would never buy that sight unseen unless I could get it for a song. Maybe not then. Having seen it, hopefully made it run, you will know much more what sort of pig is under that poke.

giddingm
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
JC Hannum is right....a 200 km drive is a small investment....in time and dollars..Like , why did he take the name plate off for? You may also make a good deal on the tooling as a package deal. Make an afternoon of it...drive up...stop for lunch check it out....it maybe a real deal...