X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobWarfield
    • Nov 2005

Meet Blanch, My New Baby Surface Grinder

Or I guess I could say (in best Al Pacino-as-Cuban imitation), "Say hello to my li'l frien'!"

It seems to be a baby Blanchardy sort of thing. I liked it because it is so small--I don't have room for a real surface grinder at the moment.

She's certainly an odd little booger, isn't she? LOL

Even a little magnetic vise there.

Haven't actually got her in hand yet (eBay purchase). Will advise when I get her set up and try her out.

Best,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Oh,you'll have fun with that,we got one at work that will swing a 20" diameter.Water cooled with a rotating electromagnet.Fun machines and really accurate.

Wonder if yours was for grinding lab samples?It is cute.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• lazlo
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by BobWarfield
      It seems to be a baby Blanchardy sort of thing. I liked it because it is so small--I don't have room for a real surface grinder at the moment.
      They're called "Swisher's" or "Swing Grinders." Neat little surface grinder.

Is your's Italian? I saw another one on Ebay a year or so ago and it was made by an Italian company I had never heard of.

Edit, Oh, Swiss -- even nicer!
      Last edited by lazlo; 08-12-2006, 09:26 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• lane
        • Aug 2005

CUTE but messy

I bet it makes a mess .Better build some kind of box orpan to put it in to control the grit and grime.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• BobWarfield
          • Nov 2005

A Swisher? I quite like that name!

I can't wait to fiddle with it. I think Evan had said he wanted something similar just to get a ground finish on some of his projects. I'm more or less in the same boat, though I suppose I might try it for some precision uses from time to time. The fella that sold it seemed to be an HSM, so I've sent him a message asking if he can tell me anything more about it.

Best,

BW
          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

• lazlo
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by BobWarfield
            I think Evan had said he wanted something similar just to get a ground finish on some of his projects.
            Personally, I'd like a little surface grinder like that so I can make shop-hardened flats (wear plates and such).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but even with air-hardening tool steel I can't get the stuff to quench without warping just enough that I can't use it. Then it's so hard I can't mill it back flat. But I would think that just a touch-up on a little surface grinder should do the trick

By the way, for a mirror finish on unhardened surfaces, you might want to try that $49 Rotary Technologies "Door Knob" flycutter, which uses round indexable carbide inserts. There've been several threads on rec.crafts.metalworking about this flycutter/facemill, and they're really fantastic.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
              • May 2006

She looks more like an Olga to me but suit yourself, as soon as i figure out how to post pictures I want you guys to see my "china hoe" she be a hoe but she be a good hoe, little sweetie held 2/10ths tonight and it was critical because it was a press fit, luv my little china hoe, she be a hoe but she be a good hoe.

Comment

• Elninio
                • Oct 2004

very cool! hope u win ur bid, and wish me luck cuz this weekend im gonna be bidding on a mill!

Comment

• John Stevenson
                  • Mar 2001

They are called swing grinders and their main use is for licking up punches and dies.

Many are just an electric motor with a better bottom bearing plates and a cup wheel.

Compared to a horizontal wheel grinder they are quick but leave swirl patten grinding marks as opposed to the more pleasing straight lines.

I make a lot of dividing plates and I used to grind these flat and for looks on a small Eagle horizontal wheel grinder, time per side was about 5 minutes.
                  Now I have a swing grinder I can do both sides in about two minutes.

It's best to have a cover round them and extraction because of the dust.
                  I have mine outside under a lean to and cover it when not in use with a plastic bag. This way there is no grinding dust in the shop.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

Meet Blanch

I 've had one of these things for years. It was a kit made by Model Engineering Services who continue to make the Quorn and Kennet tool and cutter kits. I now suddenly realise that I have all three.

You will contiue to find more and more uses for it.
                    Have fun.

Norm

Comment

A small version Bullard grinder, cool. Not quite, though.

Comment

• lazlo
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                        as soon as i figure out how to post pictures I want you guys to see my "china hoe" she be a hoe but she be a good hoe, little sweetie held 2/10ths tonight and it was critical because it was a press fit, luv my little china hoe, she be a hoe but she be a good hoe.
                        Uh, are you talking about a Chinese surface grinder, or a mail-order bride?

Comment

He probably don't know the difference.

He can't even read the sticky to learn to post a picture.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

Blanch and that

Iowolf,
                            I have problems reading.
                            What's the sticky? Posting picures? That's only for the clever people.
                            I know my place in the hierarchy. Way down among the nearly dead men.

Cheers, cheeky

Norm

Comment

Working...
                            X