PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why me?

Cecil Walker
08-14-2006, 08:25 AM
9-11-01 i'm in the Raleigh, NC airport boarding a plane for DC, "BOOM", Islamic terrorists strike NYC and DC. Takes me 7 hours to get out of the airport. Fast forward 4 years 11 months. Where am i? Omaha airport, What happens? Do the Islamic terrorists have some personal vendetta against me personally or am i just lucky?

wierdscience
08-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Yep,the're after you,better lock and load:D

Evan
08-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Drive. Just don't rent a Ryder.

Wirecutter
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm in the DC area, and I've found that if I'm need to fly somewhere I can drive in less than 5 hours, that's the way to go - especially if the destination isn't right near the airport. I think others will find that if they do the math, the same would hold true.

Maybe we'll all end up sending our "stuff" to the destination motel via Fed-Ex and flying in a swimsuit, t-shirt, and flip-flops. Carry a paperback book for entertainment. Don't laugh - I've done it, and it works.

-Mark

lazlo
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Takes me 7 hours to get out of the airport. Fast forward 4 years 11 months. Where am i? Omaha airport, What happens? Do the Islamic terrorists have some personal vendetta against me personally or am i just lucky?

No sympathy here Cecil ;)

I was travelling last week, and picked up a K.O. Lee air spindle that I bought for a song on Ebay, because it was a "pickup only" and happened to be next to the airport I was flying through.

While I was there, the London liquid/gel thing happened, and security bumped up to orange/red.

Try bringing a 50 lb K.O. Lee air spindle, complete with a 5C drawbar, on a plane during an Orange alert :D

By the way Mark, this was through the Dulles airport. I have to admit, there were armies of TSA people in the airport (for obvious reasons), and they were very polite and reasonable during the whole incident with the air spindle.

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
You ain't dead. What's the bitch?

You don't really want to die? Being next to a ticking bomb is an interesting feeling. Mine was a 500kg one and seven had gone off and the rest were burning incendiaries. And I was only about 11 or 12 and I was frightened.
And my Daddy couldn't hold my hand, he was busy defusing the incendiaries.

Come on- put your fingers in your ears if you are frightened!

Gurtcha!

Norm

lazlo
08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
You ain't dead. What's the bitch?

I wasn't complaining Norm. The irony was just amazing though -- that was the first time I've ever tried to transport a piece of machinery on a plane, and it just happened to coincide with the London crisis.

The truly funny part was that after the TSA examined the air spindle, and ran it through the X-ray and mass spectrometer, they told me that I couldn't carry it on the plane, because it could be used as a bludgeoning weapon to hijack the plane.

Follow this image: Engineering Geek gets up during the flight, wearing a Polo shirt with his engineering firm's logo, Dockers, and deck shoes. Said geek holds up a K.O. Lee air spindle, and announces: this plane is going to Cancun, or I will heave this K.O. Lee air spindle in your direction! :D

By the way, the TSA advisory said to get to the airport 3 hours before the flight, which I did, considering that I had a strange chunk of cast iron to transport. The problem is that my out-bound flight was at 6 AM, so I got to the airport at 3 AM per the TSA instructions, but the damn airline representatives don't start work until 5 AM.

So there were a whole bunch of people that missed their flights because there were hundreds of folks that had to go through additional security with only a hour before the flight.

Evan
08-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Maybe we'll all end up sending our "stuff" to the destination motel via Fed-Ex and flying in a swimsuit, t-shirt, and flip-flops. Carry a paperback book for entertainment. Don't laugh - I've done it, and it works.

My father has done a lot of international travel in the past. When he travels he usually takes only a thin briefcase containing only a single change of clothes, underwear, pants, socks, jacket and tie. He dresses well. He is normally assumed to be a diplomat or similar (which he is not) and is never questioned. He buys what he needs when he arrives.

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry Lazlo. It is no fault of either of us. We are simply two generations and our histories are so very different.

In an earlier posting, I learned to survive as did every young child in the UK did. Those who have made it so far are a flea bitten old bunch, bitter twisted and- know it alls. We simply have seen, read or learnt about danger. We are perhaps far more afraid and our guts twist with fear. It is no longer for ourselves but for all of you. You are the future. We are the past.

I hope for all of you that regardless of the rights and wrongs, that you all are safe to enjoy the life that you richly deserve.

Cheers from the old Fart

Norm

Rustybolt
08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
It isn't you. My wife and oldest daughter were on their way back from Miami. They had just stopped off to pick up drinks and snacks for their flight the night before. You know the rest.

john hobdeclipe
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
My wife and I still chuckle about the time I bought an old (1940's) movie projector in Concord, California, and put it into a paper grocery bag and carried it on the flight back to Dallas.

Don't think they'll let me do that again.

lazlo
08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
My father has done a lot of international travel in the past. When he travels he usually takes only a thin briefcase containing only a single change of clothes, underwear, pants, socks, jacket and tie.

I do a lot of international travel, and like many business travelers, I rarely check baggage (unless the trip is going to be a week or so). My experience has been that if you check baggage on international travel, you have a pretty good chance of your baggage either being delayed, lost, or stolen by the baggage handlers.

I very rarely get stopped at the security checkpoints, but as long as you're not cutting it close, it only takes 10 minutes or so for security to go through all your stuff.

One sure-fire way to get stopped at every security checkpoint: book a one-way ticket. My company was trying to use up a bunch of extra travel vouchers from the various airlines, and starting sending the engineers off with one-way tickets (senior managers, of course, got round-trip tickets). When a one-way ticket prints out at the ticket counter or speed check-in booth, you'll notice that it has black hash marks at the edges. This is an indication for you to be checked, double-checked, and triple-checked at every stop, including the layovers.

BadDog
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Almost exactly 1 week before 9/11, I flew back to Phoenix from Logan on United.

The day of the "London Crisis", my wife was flying from Huntsville, AL to Phoenix. He 5 hour flight turned into about 10 and required her to switch to a different airline and route.

Evan
08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
The last time we flew to Europe we decided to fly first class. Not only was it far more comfortable we actually arrived feeling rested. When we deplaned in Frankfurt we were the very first ones off the aircraft. So was our luggage and it was the first to come off the luggage conveyor. We breezed through customs and baggage inspection ahead of everybody (they didn't check our bags) and were the first ones at the car rental counter. I had phoned ahead the day before to the actual counter and made sure they had my car ready. The girl there kept asking me how I got the number. It's posted on the internet. :D

We cleared the airport in about 15 to 20 minutes max. Worth every penny.

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 12:56 PM
1800GMT, my son has just phoned.
Took more than 24 hours to get from Newcastle to Las Vegas.

That's showbiz

Norm

TGTool
08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Two buzzards are off on a trip and get tired of flapping their wings and flying themselves so decide they'll just drop in at the next airport they come to and take a commercial flight.

Spotting an airport just ahead, they circle down, land, and walk in to the ticket counter.

When they get up to the counter, they purchase their tickets for the rest of the journey and the ticket agent notices they have a dead armadillo in a paper bag. The agent says, "Do you want to check that bag?" "Naw," the buzzard says, "It's carrion."

Wirecutter
08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
By the way Mark, this was through the Dulles airport. I have to admit, there were armies of TSA people in the airport (for obvious reasons), and they were very polite and reasonable during the whole incident with the air spindle.
Heh, heh. Don't get me started on Dulles. It's the airport most convenient to my house, but it was bad even before 9/11. I think it's just a poorly designed and run place to start with, but I have to admit, it's better than LAX. Try flying into LAX on an early morning "fright" from Asia. I arrived before the customs people woke up, along with 1000 of my closest friends. (one 747 from Sidney, one from Tokyo, and another ?) After customs, you get dumped into the unsecured part of the airport (no choice), and have to go through security yet again. Last time, my wife nearly missed our connection, and we weren't dallying or making stops.

Yeah, I guess the security folks at Dulles are still a little chapped from having two groups of 9/11 hijackers get through there.

I agree that the TSA and it's ilk are generally pretty polite and professional. It's interesting to watch how different types of people react to the inconvenience. Americans used to react pretty badly prior to 9/11, and some still do. Ever see Israelis in the same situation? The ones I've seen hardly seem to notice. They probably think bitching about security procedures is like bitching about having to put gas in your car. It's just a fact of life.

-Mark

Evan
08-14-2006, 02:20 PM
I haven't found Dulles to be that bad and I have flown in and out of there half a dozen times. It's better than National where you better have good walking legs. I've lost count of the airports I have been to but it includes most of the major ones in the US and Canada and a few overseas. The one that sticks out in my mind is Vancouver for a nice airport and that is supported by the rating it has. It's ranked in the top ten in the world by surveys of international travelers.

Peter N
08-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Dulles? National? Bah! You ought to try Lagos.....:D

Peter

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 02:45 PM
We had an aerodrome built on the site of a mental hospital.
Oh, bugger! I have a house that is built in the grounds of a mental hospital.
I don't think that I should continue this story.

Talk among yourselves, please.

Norm

Millman
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Norm, that's interesting, could make a good story or movie. You get me all excited, then you quit. Why do you torture us?

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Nah, it would be insane to continue.

Don't you have something else to do?

Just keep talking amongst yourselves

Norm

Millman
08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
{{Don't you have something else to do?}} Yeah, but I just can't get motivated today. Guess if I had a Paying part to make, i'd feel better.

Norman Atkinson
08-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Millman,

This isn't a Forum which offers consolation and comfort to the unemployed, you know.

You are supposed to make some effort to support the life style which you want to be accustomed.

Come on, man, shake yourself and get with it like - em?
Well, you know.

I had it on the tip of my tongue this morning.

That's it -Corn flakes.

Alguy
08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
In the Washington area i have been using BWI (Baltimore Washinton Intl.) it a longer drive and do to time my arrivial times to the lulls on the beltway, so far it has worked for me to spent the extra hour drive to BWI instead of Dulles or National