PDA

View Full Version : US thread designation

trapper
10-28-2001, 10:19 AM
I am a UK member and I have to machine 3 adaptor sleeves for a customer with an internal thread designation as follows:

1-32UB - 2B.......I have used 1-32 UN threads before but never UB and I can find no reference to this any technical books I have.

Can anyone help

Thanks

[This message has been edited by trapper (edited 10-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by trapper (edited 10-28-2001).]

MarshSt
10-28-2001, 10:24 AM
The B and N keys are right next to each other, my fat fingers make that mistake all the time. Just a thought.

Steve

trapper
10-28-2001, 10:32 AM
Thanks Steve

I did ask the same question but I was told the designation was correct???......However the original designation had 2A for the tolerance which is for external threads.....so maybe the designer WAS having a bad day.Thanks again

John

Thrud
10-29-2001, 12:08 AM
Trapper,

I think Steve is right - a severe case of fat finger disease. I checked the Unified Thread chart and the closest thing to a UB is UNS (special diameter/pitch - not standardized).

Dave

sketch15
10-31-2001, 02:51 AM
Trapper,
There is no UB designation for threads. It must have been a mistake. I have been doing design work for quite some time and have never seen that designator.

SGW
10-31-2001, 08:30 AM
How about asking the customer what it means?

Thrud
10-31-2001, 10:34 PM
SGW,

I think he said he did, the customer must have been an engineer - if you don't take them to lunch and pour coffee in them all day they are pretty useless...

Dave ;-)

snorman
10-31-2001, 11:30 PM
As we know, engineers do NOT make mistakes. It must be a "transcription" error. ;-)

trapper
11-01-2001, 03:38 AM
Thanks Guys.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

I contacted the customer again and he supplied the mating part........guess what??.......it was 1-32 UN......the sleeves have now been made and so "end of story"

I am sure it was just fat fingers as you all said but nobody wanted to admit the mistake.

Thanks for your help and now that I have found this foum I will be keeping watch on all the topics......if anyone neds help or information from the UK I will do my best to help........ http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

John

Thrud
11-02-2001, 01:21 AM
Snorman,

You mean a Faux Pas? I call it snafu when I do it - I will take the bullet when it is my fault (and sometimes when it is not).

John,

Glad to hear you solved the "Fat Head Engineer" problem. Come to think of it, if it was not for engineers not knowing what in hell they are doing, tradesmen would have nothing to do! God bless them all!

Anytime we can help you just yell...

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 11-02-2001).]