PDA

View Full Version : Long Term tool storage(rustproofing)

BillH
08-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, Im going away again for school, I need to store my lathe, and other tools to prevent rusting. What I have on hand is white lithium grease. If I smother the ways with this stuff and other bare metal surfaces, then put a blanket over them to keep the dust off, will this work well? Or should I just liberaly coat all the bare surfaces with way oil I have on hand and cover it up? Will be stored inside but not heated.

pcarpenter
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I would way oil them....it is the right stuff for them to have on them and won't require a lot of cleanup to take the machinery out of mothballs. Covering loosely to keep dust off is a good idea.

White lithium grease is not cosmoline...and cosmoline would only be the right answer for much longer term storage.

I use some stuff called Boeshield that was invented by Boeing for small tooling that sits a while as well as for my reloading dies that go a while between uses. It goes on thin and leaves a thin waxy film when it dries that wipes right off with mineral spirits, wd40 or any other thin solvent. You can get it at woodworking supply places as it is highly recommended for preventing rust on machine surfaces like table saw tops.

Paul

BillH
08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Looks like Sears sells that stuff, Thanks!, will go there tonight and pick some up.

JCHannum
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Boeshield is good, but if you are going to buy something, get LPS #3. It will provide better protection, and will last much longer than Boeshield.

Weston Bye
08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Have had good results with Break-Free CLP on firearms and machine

tools.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1683

BillH
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
As I am leaving in a couple of days, has to be a local purchase. I do own CLP for my guns. I would prefer up to 1 year rust protection.

Alistair Hosie
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't like the sound of putting a blanket on anything unless your climate is very dry.Otherwise this is a sure recipe for attracting dampness from the atmosphere.I heard of using a special cloth though that breathes seems popular here or cover with oil soaked brown paper after liberally greasing whit greas is probably best Alistair

Cecil Walker
08-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Bill, I have to agree with JC, LPS#3 is what has given me the best results. There may be as good or better products out there but i haven't found them. We sprayed roller chain that was exposed to liquid nitrogen (28-32%) fertilizer, and it was still flexible after 6 months exposure to the outside elements. I have not used Boeshield, so can't comment there.

lynnl
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I agree with JCH on the LPS 3.
I've never left it on for 'years', but after many months it still seems to leave a oily-waxy coating. And the spray-on application is very handy to use.

A few years back I bought a whole trunkful of machinist tools from a retired millwright. They were all wrapped in a heavily cosmoline impregnated paper. I thought I'd never get all that crap off those tools!

I don't remember just how many years he said they'd been stored, ...maybe 10 or 15. But that stuff looked like it'd last forever.

thistle
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
LPS 3, do a few coats.

now for a digression - I use LPS 3 on the under water parts of outboard motors to stop fouling by marine organisms- if it work s there then it will last on the lathe.

however I vote you take the lathe and use it.

BillH
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
LPS 3, do a few coats.

now for a digression - I use LPS 3 on the under water parts of outboard motors to stop fouling by marine organisms- if it work s there then it will last on the lathe.

however I vote you take the lathe and use it.

You have no idea how badly I want to be making chips. Its going to be a turbulent next couple of years, I have no idea where I'll end up and settled down. 1 of 5 states I have to put on a list. Up to a 2 year wait after Im done with Miami, I have to go where Im called or I am done. For air traffic control.

Sears did not have the Boesheild. Tommorow I am packing, it looks like I may have to settle with tons of way oil. The blanket is to keep saw dust off the lathe. Maybe a local supplier has the other stuff.

John Garner
08-16-2006, 01:22 AM
Bill H --

USP petrolatum, aka petroleum jelly, is a great corrosion preventive for precision equipment that will be stored indoors in a reasonable environment. It can be wiped on and spread, or cut with a solvent and swabbed on . . . small parts can be dipped.

I generally use straight petroleum jelly for large or simple parts, a 50/50 mix by volume of petroleum jelly and mineral spirits (also called paint thinner) for smaller or complex parts. Wrapping in acid-free bond paper, especially if the paper itself is coated with the petroleum jelly, adds mechanical protection and keeps stray dust and grit away from the good stuff.

If you need even better protection, wrap the paper-wrapped parts in plastic film and tape . . . or vacuum-pack and heat seal if you've got the gear to do that.

There are a couple of A2 ground flat stock bars living in the bottom of a metal tool box in my unheated California garage that I petroleum-jellied and paper-wrapped in 1970. Every five years or so I open the wrapping and check for corrosion, and I haven't found any yet.

The petroleum-jelly-and-acid-free-paper is also a fine way to protect exposed portions of machine ways and rams.

If necessary, the petroleum jelly can be thickened by melting and mixing in a bit of melted paraffin wax OR thinned by stirring in a bit of USP mineral oil.

One caution, though. Today there are several flavors on petroleum jelly available. Your want the pure USP petrolatum, NOT the "creamy" or "baby" stuff with added ingredients such as aloe, water, or fragrance.

John

lynnl
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
" ...Maybe a local supplier has the other stuff."

I'd think most any local supplier to the machining trade would have the LPS line of products.

Cecil Walker
08-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Bill, as Lynn stated, check locally, our Ace Hardware store stocks LPS#3 and its a very small town. Good luck.

speedy
08-17-2006, 08:15 AM
LPS3.
Diluted linseed oil (inexpensive but can take a bit of ef-it to remove).
Prolan or any quality lanolin product, there are plenty.

Enjoy your time BillH :)

PS. John I will try that petroleum jelly mix of yours; sounds good! ( and affordable)

ptjw7uk
08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
What ever you use on the machine will help protect the machine but the blanket (if breathable ie - no plastic) will keep the environment surrounding the machine to a slower rate of temperature change. The biggest cause of rust is when the temparature drops suddenly and the large masses of iron ( lathe or mill) respond much slower and so the dreaded (humity) water will condense on the iron. Covering the said machines with a thick breathable blanket will slow the process down.

I have read that copious amounts of sawdust (on the floor ) has a similar effect, although I prefer the blanket and a swept floor as this helps to find things that jump of the bench.

Well that my 2 penuth!!

Peter

BillH
08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Well local suppliers did not have LPS 3 or boeshield. I am going to go with the petroleum jelly cut with mineral spirits, thanks for the suggestions.