PDA

View Full Version : Need to find company that will heat treat my parts.

041x
08-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm looking for a company that will heat treat one 4140 part and one 4340 part for me. Everybody I contact says my order is too small. If anybody could post a link or a telephone number of a company that can help me out that would be great. Also looking for online metal companys to purchase 4140 and 4340 materail from. I only found http://www.onlinemetals.com/ and http://www.asapsource.com/public/index.asp Thanks for your help.

canman
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Hello,
Have you tried carolina heat treat service? I have not used them since I changed jobs but they used to do good work.
canman

SGW
08-15-2006, 04:32 PM
McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com is another material source.

At one time, years ago, when they had a different company name, I think it was these guys:

Bodycote Thermal Processing
284 Grove Street
Worcester
MA 01605
Massachusetts
Tel: +1 508 754 1724 Fax: +1 508 791 0816
E-Mail: imad.jaber@bodycote.com

who told a friend of mine that they would take walk-in jobs, as long as he was willing to wait until they had a batch of the same thing going through so his one or two pieces could be added to the lot.

Neither my friend nor I ever actually used them, and I have no idea if their policy now is the same as it was 15 years ago...but it might be worth a try.

jontwo13
08-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I have bought 4140 from Tennessee Die supply in Nashville. I think they merged with another company. They are nice people to do business with ups lost most of an order out of 8 bars I received 1 bar and a box. tn die sent replacement that day.

1-800-251-4038

www.tndie.com

rockrat
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
These guys will do just about anything. I had some 4140 treated with them about a year ago.

http://www.metalimprovement.com/

They are in Columbus Ohio and work on just about any size lot.
I called and sounded profesional, told them the name of my company (make one up if needed), told them that I would pay by credit card because I was a small shop. I droped it off on a monday and picked it up on thursday.

Cheers!
rock-

gvasale
08-15-2006, 05:45 PM
You really need to give a location if you're going to find a vendor close by.

I believe shops charge a minimum, and if sufficient material needs it, then by the weight of the order.

Lindberg Heat Treating was taken over by Bodycoat. (Grove St. Worcester, Ma.)

SGW
08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah! Lindburg Heat Treating. It's been so long, I couldn't remember what they used to be called.

CCWKen
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a plug for your two links. Why would someone ask for a place to have work done and not give his own location. It makes it a silly question. I'm pretty sure the following locations have heat treating facilities. Hope this helps.

Mexico City
Hong Kong
New Delhi
Moscow
London
Chigago

041x
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere in terms of manufacting and machinist shops. I live in North Dakota and I already know that I will have to ship my parts. Thanks for all the good links and telephone numbers. I'll have to contact all of them to see if they can help out.