PDA

View Full Version : Fluting Barrels

madman
08-16-2006, 03:47 AM
How do you get a good finish when fluting stainless rifle barrels and any tips. I just did one using a solid carbide end mill with the head of the bridgeport tilted 10 degrees or so to allow the cutter to clear the chips better and cut better also. What a **** finish. HM. Any tips perhaps a arbour and slitting type cutter would of been better. Any hints guys thanx Mike

Rusty Marlin
08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Number one is the rigidity of the setup. The barrel has to be supported every 4-5 inches. A horizontal mill with an arbor and outboard support will produce the best results, but they can be done succesfully on a bridgeport, that's how our prototypes were done. We used a form ground arbor mounted tool. the form is similar to a gear, but with a radius on the end rather than a flat.
The full profile with a form tool can be done in one pass with LOTS of oil (for cooling) and a solid set up.

Personally, unless you just have to have the fluting because of asthetics, I wouldn't do it. Its too easy to put unwanted stress into a barrel. If you are looking to save weight, go with a smaller barrel.

rws
08-17-2006, 03:09 PM
While it may be a neat project to do, and if you're looking for ultimate accuracy, have the barrel maker flute the barrel. He will do it, stress relieve and lap after it's all done.

Steve Steven
08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
I fluted a barrel on my Van Norman #12 using a gear cutter in horizontal mode, it worked well. It is not the best way to cut a flute, since the shape of the cutter takes a bit out of the exterior, but it looks nice.
Steve

YankeeMetallic
08-19-2006, 04:13 PM
While it may be a neat project to do, and if you're looking for ultimate accuracy, have the barrel maker flute the barrel. He will do it, stress relieve and lap after it's all done.
DITTO-
I fluted a used .308 SS bull barrel once just to say I tried it. I took my time and I thought I did it right. It's cold bore shot after being reassembled was 3" off of pre fluting at 50 yards = 6 MOA. I adjusted the POI with the scope, but the groups wandered in all directions once it warmed up. I had effectively destressed the bull barrel allowing the barrel length to wonder to least resistance when heated up. It looked cool but I wouldn't do it again. Oh and I only saved 7 ounces with the removed fluting material.