View Full Version : Exporting from US into Canada?

08-16-2006, 06:07 AM
I make a boat part I would like to try and sell in Canada. Does anyone know how dificult or expensive this would be? Each part sells retail for $200 US. I am planning a trip soon to try and find some dealers in Canada and I need to know what expenses I will incur exporting into the Canada.

08-16-2006, 07:29 AM
I would try and contact the Canadian border or some brokerage firms. I do not know what the "Free Trade" agreement convers but the border crossing should know which direction to send you.


I hope that helps.

Rob :)

08-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Your only direct export expenses will be shipping and a small amount of paperwork. If there is duty, which there probably is not, it is picked up by the receiving party as are taxes. How you should ship will depend on the quantity, value and weight as well as shipping delays tolerated.

08-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Maybe find a boating supply distributor in Canada and see if they are interested in carrying your product?

08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
That is what this first trip will be looking for a dealer in Vancouver BC area. I was thinking of bringing some parts with me but now I am not sure what to do I would not want to bring them and loose the parts at the border because I don't have the right paperwork. The amount I would bring would be 20-30 parts. Maybe I will just bring 1 and take orders off the one example.

My part is a anchor bracket designed specially for large rivers where fisherman anchor with a lot of current using a particular style anchor. The Fraser River in BC is such a river where they use those type anchors.

08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
If you bring sales samples you don't have to pay duty or tax but you can't sell them. Declare them as samples when you enter. If you bring any brochures or free samples you must leave them here, that's a US regulation. If you want to bring items to sell here when you visit then best check with Canada Customs first. If you bring samples to show people stop at US customs before entering Canada and declare them there so they don't question them when you return.

08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Shipping out of the US requires an SED(for theUS customs) for an invoice total of over $2500

A Shippers Export Declaration (SED) form is required by U.S. Customs for all shipments with an invoice value greater than U.S. $2,500. The retailer/supplier of your freight is the shipper and they are obliged to complete the SED. It should accompany the freight when it is shipped The link below provides your supplier/shipper with the SED and the necessary information to complete the SED: