PDA

View Full Version : Need lathe and mill information

charlie coghill
08-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys
We have been on vacation and went to a family reunion at Garden City Ks. Than went on back to Emporia Ks. and down to Fort Hood Tx. to visit the daughter than up to Colo. to visit my brother last week end. We drove about 4000 miles and were gone from the 17 of July untill this Aug. 14. Glad to be home.

We need some help to find any information on the following lathe and mill.
The name plate data on the lathe: Manning Maxwell & More. Railway & Machinists tool & supply, 111 Liverty St. New York.

The mill does not have a name plate, seems to have been lost. The information that is cast on a door of the machine is No 1 1/2 The Standard engineering works Pawtucket R.I. USA

This place in the UK may have some linformation but I don't remember what the site name is.

Any help or information will be appreciated.

topct
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html

wierdscience
08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Charlie,glad to see somebody gets a vacation.

That nameplate on the lathe is probibly the dealer that sold it.If it's an old machine look close at the side of the ways behind the apron,many had the're badge posted there.

The mill I don't know,it like the lathe may have been made back when Everybody & The'rebrother were in the machinetool biz.

How bout some pics so we can drool too?:D

charlie coghill
08-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I havent found any information the the lathe or the mill as of yet.
Weird this lathe and mill belongs to my brother in Colo. I don't have any pic of the machine. Just trying to give him a hand with this problem.

My question is, has anyone ran into a lathe with a tailstock having some taper other than a morres taper? The tailstock ram will not except a #1 morres taper. Could the tailstock maybe be a jacobs taper?

If I can't find any more information I think I will suggest that he check to see if a #1 morres taper will clean out the present taper and just ream a morres taper and have something that is not a hassel to fine attachments for.

Thanks to all who replied.
Charlie

wierdscience
08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Charlie,there are both Jarno(not so common) and Brown&Sharp tapers that are smaller than a #1 Morse.
An older copy of Machinery's has a chart with all the specs.Both of those that I mentioned would be had to find.Reaming it my be the best option,or making a new barrel if he wants to keep the original intact.

nheng
08-18-2006, 09:00 PM
The taper might be a Jarno which has a fixed taper of 0.600" per foot.

A Google search for "Manning Maxwell & More. Railway & Machinists" turns up a bunch of references. Some of the antique dealer references have images from the Manning Maxwell catalog.

Here are some more old lathe photos: http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/olndex.html

charlie coghill
08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks Weird and Heng. I will have the brother look for the Jarno taper dim and see if that is close to what he has on his lathe.