PDA

View Full Version : Slitting saw question

Hexhead
08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
What appoximate speed do you run a slitting saws. I know there are alot of variables so here is an example. I usually cut aluminum 1/2 to 2". I bought a wide assortment of slitings saws off e bay. from 2" to 6". One is a 4 x 3/64 inch HSS with 35 teeth that look like a rough cut bandsaw blade, most have 1' abore. not sure what would be cut with this. Seems like something that needs quick chip removal. Some are like jewelers saws. 6 x .128 have 42 teeth teeth. I guess these were run on a hoizonal bar, what do you think? Most of the arbore holes are keyed. Is that safe? I'm making some arbores but I'm not going to key them in case they get stuck. Back to the first thought speed???

Thanks

wierdscience
08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I doesn't much matter what the tool is,endmill,saw,toolbit no difference.The material the tool is made from and the material being cut is what is important.

In steel for example a common HSS saw should run no faster than 80-100 sfpm(surface feet per minute) without coolant.On a 4" diameter saw for example the calculation is as follows-

4" x 3.14(pi) =12.56"/12=1.046' in circumfrence.Assuming we want to start slow at 80 sfpm,then we would say 80/1.046 which would be 76.48,call it 75 rpm.

A good cutting speed chart for various materials and toolsteels/carbides is what you need

Keys,I never use them on slitting saws,if the saw loads up with chips and jambs and that key is in place there is a good chance that the saw will split trough the keyway and shatter.I would rather have it just slip.

Coolant,spraymist or cutting oil should be used especially on gummy materials that have a tendency to load up the teeth.

wierdscience
08-18-2006, 09:38 PM
link to a fairly in depth page on the subject-

http://www.niagaracutter.com/techinfo/millhandbook/speedfeed/sfm.html

Here is another page with a general practice chart-

http://www.hougen.com/tech_tips/cutter_info/cutting_speeds2.html

Hope this helps.

Hexhead
08-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the formula I'm just a self taught hobbyest but I have turned out some pretty neat stuff, but could have probably retired on my throw aways. I just love to make chips and not easly discouraged. So glad you guys are out there. I never have used speed and feed stuff much, thats why I said "apox speed" a starting point I guess. I just lisen to my mill or lathe watch the chips and and adjust the speed accordingly. I know it's bad to do it that way but I've got the habit now so I just refer to the charts and go from there. I've got dislexsia (get numbers and things backwards, 23 to me I see 32) Ya great to have doing this right! So I have to really work hard at it (check recheck) Someone asked the other day if I had dislexsia, I said ON!

Carld
08-18-2006, 10:28 PM
:D I like your attitude hexhead. Your alright. If it ain't fun don't do it.

TGTool
08-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Do you know what you get then when you cross a dyslexic, an agnostic and an insomniac? ... Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Airhead
08-18-2006, 11:58 PM
As for the saw being keyed to the arbor. You'll be fine without it as long as you're cranking the feed handles yourself. Now, if you're using power feed...

Rick

Paul Alciatore
08-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the formula ....... I just lisen to my mill or lathe watch the chips and and adjust the speed accordingly. I know it's bad to do it that way but I've got the habit now so I just refer to the charts and go from there.

And just how do you think they came up with the charts in the first place? They are just a way to record, remember, and distribute the years of experience of chip makers.

Alistair Hosie
08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I dont know exact speed myself but when I have used slitting saws or seen it done by the engineers at our club I notice the dont do anything too fast .I like working metal mid range speed not too fast and not too slow regards and glad your having fun Alistair

greywynd
08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
As for the saw being keyed to the arbor. You'll be fine without it as long as you're cranking the feed handles yourself. Now, if you're using power feed...

Rick

I used to run them on CNC all the time.....splitting specialty collars from thick walled tubing. Most of the time the tubing would open up a little when the cut finished, but...every now and again there would be shrapnel flying. Good thing the little HSS saws we were using were relatively cheap. ;)

Mark

Hexhead
08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies, time to go hack up some stuff, happy chip making.