PDA

View Full Version : Turning machine gears into ground gears (kinda)

A.K. Boomer
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Iv been re-working my bevel gears on my bike project, everything in the entire apparatus is being gone through and "free'd up" with better bearings and a high emphisis on friction reduction, one of the things iv just got doing was taking out the notchy feeling of the bevel gears, i have quality gears but they were still machined and not ground, under examination with a magnifier i can see why they "catch" and it is because of the machine cuts interlocking with each other --------- they pollished out a little just by useing but i took it a step further and made a paste with valve grinding compound and grease, i then ran the parts together in thier housings and allowed to free run with my variable speed drill motor, ran in one direction -- ran in the other just for a short while but long enough to break down the already fine grit V.G.C. into a polishing grit, i used a heavy enough grease to keep it all localized so it wouldnt get into any bearing surfaces and only stayed on the gear faces, pulled everything down and inspected, can still see the deepest machining markes but polished 75% of both faces, also can tell that my gears are meshing correctly, cleaned everthing and put back together and what a difference, ran it with same grease and slight loading to also pull extra particals of VGC out of gear faces, will repeat with oil one more time to make sure i get most of everything out,,,,,,, Im aware that there will always be a slight impregnation but also believe that its such a small quanity that all it will really do is just aid in a slight polishing in future operation, the slight scuffing that is seen is now going in the direction of "mesh" and not "interlocking" the difference is astounding, before you could hear and feel them, now you cant even tell theres gears, very smooth.

Millman
08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Used to replace gearmotors for conveyors and tear them apart for analysis; found the bevel gears were as smooth as a baby's butt, were actually polished from the grease slurry, usually the electrics were fried. Very seldom have a broken gear in them. You're doing "A Good Thing", Martha would be proud!

wierdscience
08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Boomer,they make a lapping compound specificaly for what you are doing.McMaster-Carr sells it,IIRC it is made from chicken bone meal.You add it directly in with the lubrication in the gearbox and let it run in,over time it becomes inert and drains out with the oil and doesn't imbed.

We use it in large gearboxes all the time since even ground gears will have a run in period.

The last application I used it in was a 60hp helical inline gear reducer.The effect was amazing,with in a couple hours of run time the motor amp load decresed 15% and the temps decreased about 25*F,just from polishing.

Neat thing is it's safe for bearings and you can leave it in even though I still like to drain and change the oil.

A.K. Boomer
08-20-2006, 02:37 PM
"The last application I used it in was a 60hp helical inline gear reducer.The effect was amazing,with in a couple hours of run time the motor amp load decresed 15% and the temps decreased about 25*F,just from polishing."

WOW thats incredible, what in the hell is with all the animal parts still being used for aplications like this, kinda gross when you think about it, I mean --- if i was a chicken and somebody asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up the reply sure in the hell wouldnt be "i want my bones to be reduced to fine particles so i can be ran through a grearing system to polish its parts" Martha really would be proud, life just amazes me...

nheng
08-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Weirdscience, Someone mentioned that chicken stuff here once before, maybe it was you. Do you think that it might quiet down straight cut gears in a headstock. They are hardened.

Amsoil and Purple Oil products claim similar results caused by a micro-"peening" of the surface when using their lubes and subsequent reduction in HP, cost savings in electricity, etc. Den

wierdscience
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Weirdscience, Someone mentioned that chicken stuff here once before, maybe it was you. Do you think that it might quiet down straight cut gears in a headstock. They are hardened.

Amsoil and Purple Oil products claim similar results caused by a micro-"peening" of the surface when using their lubes and subsequent reduction in HP, cost savings in electricity, etc. Den

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Checkout page 2544 look for "lapping polish for bearing surfaces" midway down the page.

I don't know about using it on lathe heads though,I never have tried it on that.

wierdscience
08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
"The last application I used it in was a 60hp helical inline gear reducer.The effect was amazing,with in a couple hours of run time the motor amp load decresed 15% and the temps decreased about 25*F,just from polishing."

WOW thats incredible, what in the hell is with all the animal parts still being used for aplications like this, kinda gross when you think about it, I mean --- if i was a chicken and somebody asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up the reply sure in the hell wouldnt be "i want my bones to be reduced to fine particles so i can be ran through a grearing system to polish its parts" Martha really would be proud, life just amazes me...

LOL:D That must be what goes through the mind of a Kangaroo "when I grow up I want to be ground up and made into a BigMac":D:D

Yup there are all kinds of uses for natural products,some have no man made equal.

My boss teases his grandkids into behaving by telling them to show him they're teeth,when they ask why he tells them he can get $75 for a human skeleton with a full set of teeth:D