PDA

View Full Version : timing pully ??

level head
08-20-2006, 03:55 PM
i am seaching for a timing pulley 7/8 center bore any tooth size will work with 12 inch long belt or any size and the second pulley has to be 5/8 center bore thanks if you have a timing pully that works close i could make it work thanks

level head
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
any one have this part(timing pulley)

Carld
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Are you asking about a V belt pulley or a cog belt pulley like the timing belt on a car?

level head
08-20-2006, 10:36 PM
cog pulley

sch
08-20-2006, 11:06 PM
You can search at www.mcmaster.com for timing belt pulleys to get an idea of what is commercially available. The companies that make these tend to be proud of them. Lot of pulleys are available unbored or with hub size listed to give you an idea of how much room is available for boring out the hubs.
12" long belt is going to put a big kink in your plans though as most pulleys small enough to fit inside a 12" loop aren't going to have enough hub for a 5/8
bore, much less a 7/8" unless you do it like Evan did and make your own out of some blanks.
Steve

level head
08-20-2006, 11:34 PM
well i dont need really a timing belt ,i am running 640oz motors on a bench mill and i just might use a love joy adapter from the motor shaft straight to the yaxis ,this is where i run into a problem i want the mill to have manual capabilities so on the x ais there are 2 places where i could put the motor and then just use the other hand x axis for manual milling ,but on the y azis there is just one place where i could put the motor and the manual hand wheel so i either need the straight couple the y axis to the motor and use a timing belt to add on the manual wheel ,or i could put it the other way using the stepper motor and running it tho the y axis shaft and run the hand wheel in the original place straight on the shaft.What way would work better?/

lenord
08-21-2006, 01:21 AM
L.H.,

Go to www.sdpsi.com (http://www.sdpsi.com) and look up timing pulleys. They have all you need. Prices are not all THAT bad. Prices for what I use are generally less than $20.00 for 2 pulleys and a belt.

You WILL be able to find a pulley that will take a .625 bore, you just have to bore it out on the lathe. Each pulley has a max bore size listed.
Be careful of the sizes, you likely need larger than an MXL size.

BTW, mcmaster is a little cheaper, MSC has the same stuff, but more selection for the "industrial" sizes IME. www.smallparts.com (http://www.smallparts.com) has timing belts and pulleys, different teeth and a smaller selection.

FWIW
Lenord