PDA

View Full Version : Anti virus Program Norton

madman
08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I bought a norrton ant virus program. Holy cow does it ever slow down my system. Im ready to take the computer out to the gun club and feed it high velocity 3 inch slugs. What a waste of time doing stuff on it., I find its nice for mastercam but transactions with pay pal e bay really suck. Anyone else feel the same way. I feel transactions with the computer are just a waste of time. Later

wierdscience
08-20-2006, 11:17 PM
If you can get your money back do so,Norton sucks.

The freeware virus programs have been a lot better to me and don't grind things to a halt like Norton IMHO.I "uninstalled"(never understood that term either,must be another Windozism like pressing start to shut the machine down)

Paypal is a mystery to me.Why is it I can make a payment,or take a payment instantly the world over,but if I need to put money in or take money out of Paypal it takes-THREE TO FOUR WORKING DAYS!:mad:

Oh,and if you want a check from Paypal it takes 1-2 WEEKS!

What up wit dat?:confused:

Evan
08-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Norton is a POS. It runs up to 14 different background tasks and can bring even new systems to their knees depending on what options are activated. Unfortunately you won't be able to get your money back.

The best AV software, especially for the price (free), is AVG Free Edition available here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

In visiting the website just now I see they also have a new free spyware checker. I haven't tried it but it's on my list to do tommorrow. Should be pretty good if AVG is an example.

JS
08-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Norton CDs make good frisbees.. I use Avast myself . Avg is good

torker
08-21-2006, 12:38 AM
I've used Panda for the last couple of years.
Seems to work OK but the support, etc. SUCKS!
I tried for weeks to get ahold of someone over a billing problem.
Finally got a reply...but the person who sent the reply had a dead email addy and I could never get back to them.
I finally got Master Card to cancel their payment. Took several months.
FWIW...Panda Canada...is operated out of Spain...gee imagine that huh!
I'll never use them again and have no idea why I'd ever recommend them.
Russ

darryl
08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Just tried to instal the spyware checker- needs win 2000 or newer.

ACF
08-24-2006, 12:41 AM
My norton subscription ran out a couple months ago so I was wondering what to get to replace it. Evan's suggestion , the AVG program, sounds good. Being a total computer idiot, I have to ask, do I have to turn the norton program off or delete it before downloading the AVG program? Don't want to mess the computer up, computers hate me and I hate 'em back.

Chris

Mike W
08-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I use Trendmicro:
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/pc-cillin/evaluate/overview.htm

I have seen it get updates 3 times in one day. I have used it for about a year now and haven't had any problems.

Evan
08-24-2006, 01:57 AM
You should remove Norton before installing another antivirus program. It is not a good idea to run two antivirus programs on the same machine. Since they are both trying to do the same thing with the same data at the same time they can interfere with each other and even lock up the machine.

Go to the Control panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Remove Norton.

madman
08-24-2006, 04:27 AM
Yeah i found out norton sucks big time. I had to reconfigure my system so it wouldnt burp too much with nortion active. Norton seemed to choke my computer. Mcaffe i had also really sucked. I also ran avg and had rogers high speed tell me that i had a bot virus and they wouldnt reconnect my internet till i reformatted my hard drive. They said they did it for my security. I found rogers to be a group of lazy dimwitted individuals that dont know the differance between **** and apple butter. I am not kidding. Dumd as a 3 dollar whore they are. LOL. I gotta laugh at them. I wasnt impressed with rogers stupid service i called a few of them and went back to sympatico high speed. Not too bad 5 meg speed verses 3 meg rogers **** service . I am not even surprised anymore with stuopid people. Drivers so dumb they shouldnt have liscences. (no wonder we cant carry handguns in canada) Ha Ha .

jaybird
08-24-2006, 05:46 AM
I have used Norton for a few years and it is installed on a few computers at work. It is best not to let Norton free run. I don't use the firewall because I run behind a router. I let Norton scan my emails but all the other stuff I manually start the scans and downloading of up-dates. Just the other day I did a Google on a drug for my dogs and Norton immediately caught a spy ware program that was trying to load up. Take some time to set up the program. McAffe is a POS.

ACF
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks Evan.

Chris