PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fubar HD ??

davidfe
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a Gateway Laptop running XP Pro. HD is Hitachi 30 GB.

A few months ago, it went to BSOD. Tried all the usual fixes. No recovery of data. http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/davidfe/BSOD-P5190023.jpg

NTFS Reader can boot from CD drive and read the HD. All the data files are intact.

Tried numerous way to boot with other CDs. HD immediately takes over and displays BSOD.

I have attached it to my other Laptop via USB and when recognized by Laptop, BSOD immediately form the defective HD.

Makes to difference if HD is master - slave - none. Same experience when attaching as 2nd HD on a desktop with XP Pro.

How do I edit from a bootable CD (not running Windows) the files name(s) that would cause booting to fail?

That way I can attach via USB and recover data.

Thanks for reading.

David

Evan
08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Use Linux. Knoppix 4.0 to be exact.

www.knoppix.org

davidfe
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Evan,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Now to work on my CRS brain and try to assimilate a new op system:D :D

David

Evan
08-21-2006, 04:41 PM
It isn't difficult. Just remember that in Linux with KD everything is single click to open. If you want to try and edit the files you will need to make the hard drive writeable before mounting it. Right click on the HD0 icon and select properties and set all the permissions to read/write, then mount it.

You really don't need to do this though as you can just dump all the stuff you want to save to a flash card or USB dongle.

BillH
08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
look for the ultimate boot cd to download. It is a bootable cd rom that has tons of HD testing programs from various manufacturers. If your hard drive is SMART enabled, these programs will report to you how many errors are occuring if any and will recomend you replace the drive or not. I wish I ran it on one of the hard drives in my linux file server. I would of saved myself some headaches.

BillH
08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh another note with linux, ability to read NTFS partitions is shakey, but they are working on it.

Evan
08-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Reading NTFS is no problem, writing it is more difficult.