PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dreamweaver MX2004 vs Frontpage 2003

Wayne02
08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm taking an online web authoring class and we are required to use either frontpage 2003 or dreamweaver MX2004. I can get dreamweaver for $100 with student discount from the manufacturer or frontpage for $160 from costco (have not looked around for a student discount on frontpage yet).

What say you, is one of these markedly better than the other one for someone who has used neither?

Mickey_D
08-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Microsoft has discontinued Frontpage. It is an end of life product. Dreamweaver is a bear to learn but does beautiful work.

Tim125
08-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Dreamweaver all the way. I have both and never open Frontpage. Wanna really learn? Get a good HTML book and do your work in Notepad. WYSIWYG editors are great but in my opinion keeps you too far removed from what makes the web work.

CCWKen
08-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Get a good HTML book and do your work in Notepad. WYSIWYG editors are great but in my opinion keeps you too far removed from what makes the web work.

That makes about as much sense and selling your mill and lathe and going back to a hand drill and file. Tools make the work easier. If they're there, use them.

Tim125
08-22-2006, 01:12 AM
LOL, well how about CNC vs. manual? Close comparison I think. I use Dreamweaver all the time along with the rest of Macromedia Studio and Adobe's Creative Suite, all great tools. WYSIWYG editors don't produce the cleanest code. Being able to go in, look at the code and edit it is a skill and it doesn't come from using a point and click webiste builder.

rantbot
08-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Tools make the work easier.

But HTML is already dead simple. How much easier can these tools make it?