PDA

View Full Version : Rand disc & belt sander...

Bill in Ky
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I am looking at a Rand 6" disc, 4"x36" belt sander on ebay. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Rand power tools. Its not Ingersoll-Rand.

If its junk please let me know what is a good sander for the money.
Thanks

Carld
08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Bill, is there a Harbor Freight or some store that sells belt sanders near you? Go look at some if you can. Google for belt sanders and compare them. My son has a Harbor Freight 6x48 with disc and it is ok. I just bought an old Walker Turner 4x36 with a 10" disc on a stand for $55 at a local auction.

Ries
08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
These are just generic chinese tools- if you buy a container full, you can have em called any name you want.
"Rand" is not a tool company, per se.

I would hold out for a Jet- my electropolishing company just got a brand new Jet 12" disc 6x48 belt machine for $500 cash from their local Tool Time store- you ought to be able to find one in the $500 to $700 range, and be able to use it for a lot longer time with a lot fewer swear words.

Better yet would be either a Delta/Rockwell or a Powermatic machine, used. Depends where you live- some places they seem to go cheap, other places quite pricy.