PDA

View Full Version : Operator manuals?

pntrbl
08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
My current expertise level is at the "pull a knob to see what happens" level when it comes to machine tools, and I need to do better, so I'd like to find something resembling operators manaul's before I fire these machines up.

3 Machines, as follows;

The bigger lathe is a LeBlond Regal Series but even tho I crawled all over it I couldn't for the life of me find a model number. I did find a 1.5 HP motor for what that's worth. Size wise it measures approx. 8" from the spindle center to the bed and the bed's gotta be at least 4 feet. Is that an 8x48? Maybe 16x48? There's also a shorter 3rd rail kinda thing in-line but behind the 2 bed rails. What that is .... I do not know!

The 2nd lathe is a smaller Logan. The model number's on there but it's kinda goofy. 940 and then there's a space with some scratches that may or may not be another number, followed by a 2! It's also got a plate declaring it to be a Thread Cutting Turret Lathe and yeah, it's got a way cool ratcheting turret on the tailstock. There's a drill press looking handle and when ya turn it all the way back on the tailstock the turret goes "click", and rotates 60 degrees! It measured up at 6" from the spindle center and with all the turret action it was hard to tell on the bed length. Maybe 36" if everything was off the back?

The 3rd machine is a 9x42 Bridgeport Model # 53283 and would ya believe I even found a serial number? J42821. No whistles or bells that I can see or know about. Just a plain ol' BP with the operative word being old.

Speaking of old these machines are also absolutely filthy. I can't decide if they have a thick coat of oily dirt or a fat coat of dirty oil. The next grease these machines are gonna see is the kind that comes from my elbow!

Can anybody recommend a suitable solvent and what about re-lubing after they're clean? I'd like to have everything cleaned up and moving smoothly with all fightin' knobs in neutral corners before I ever hit a switch.

Thanx for any help. I need all I can get.

Bill

chip's
08-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure this is any help, but Scott Logan might be able to help you with his machine.He does have ads in HSM. Matco and several others offer manuals for bridgeports or did at one time. they may need what series of mill it is. I hope this is of some help.

Mark Hockett
08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
pntrbl,
There's a Leblond book offered by Lindsay books,
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/regal/index.html

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Mark Hockett

J Tiers
08-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Sounds like your Logan is an 11 x 43" flat belt turret lathe with a "wheel turret" (the drill press looking handle deal) as opposed to a "lever" turret.

That just happens to be a nice machine, with a 1 3/8 thru hole in teh spindle, that takes 5C collets. 940-2 is the model, from what you said.

If it has a tailstock with it, that would be a nice addition... Some turret machines had the saddle and a tailstock, I think, others were plain turret.

Logan will have the manual. Look on the front right in the flat area just behind the frontmost V-way for the serial number. Scott will want that to get the correct manual.

That being a screw-cutting type, odds are it has a saddle and leadscrew etc.

Overall, you seem to have an instant machine shop.... just subtract dirt.

BTW, the third rail is a taper attachment..... a nice feature.... as you may find out if you use the 16 x 48 (maybe 16" x 24"?, bed length vs between centers) LeBlond Regal for toolroom type stuff.....

rantbot
08-25-2006, 12:43 AM
The 3rd machine is a 9x42 Bridgeport Model # 53283 and would ya believe I even found a serial number? J42821.

BR-53283 is the serial number of the mill. (Made in 1961 - hardly broken in.) J42821 is the serial number of the head.

rantbot
08-25-2006, 12:46 AM
The 2nd lathe is a smaller Logan. The model number's on there but it's kinda goofy. 940 and then there's a space with some scratches that may or may not be another number, followed by a 2!
On the Logan site -
http://www.lathe.com/models.htm

pntrbl
08-25-2006, 01:39 AM
OK. We're cookin' with the credit card tonight! Got a manual on the way from Logan and "Running the Regal Lathe" is on it's way from Lindsay books.

Rantbot, Thanx much and how did you know the B-port was made in 61? I've been poking around the net and about all I've found machine related are sales sites. And who knew there were so many towns named Bridgeport anyway?

J Tiers, yeah, that's the one! 5-C collets. Flat belt. 11x43. I found it! 940-2. I'm not sure about the tailstock and a turret deal, but I do know the turret is on it's own ways. There's another piece (tailstock maybe?) under the turret that rides the main bed. I never did figure out how to move it tho. I think the S/N is under it so I wish I had.

I think the LeBlond is a 15". Didn't see a 16" anywhere on the net. A 15" would be a C series type serial number but I have yet to find it on the machine. I also saw a pic of that 3rd rail in use. Ya cuts your outline a piece of flat 1/4 and the cut follows ....

Length wise I had 4 feet of tape between the spindle nose and the tip of the tailstock. Nothing resembling whatever different types of rests there are between them tho.

Both lathes have collets in them right now BTW, and I haven't seen a chuck anywhere yet, but there's a big metal cabinet I haven't dug my way into yet.

Thanx to all. Bill.

rgbai
08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.bbssystem.com/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=f946a67dfd2179677adf2688c43442df

J Tiers
08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking you need to take and post some pictures.... Probably it would help.

Also, find a machine shop textbook.. Should be some at used book sales, etc... "nobody" wants them anymore, can't teach that in schools anymore.

Lathes are very much the same, except for details, and a bridgeport is in almost every textbook ever printed. If you know the why about the work, you can find out the how on your machine, manual or no.

But the Logan manual will only cost $20 or so.. Can't speak about manual cost for the LeBlond.... but the book "How to run a Regal" comes to mind.........

pntrbl
08-26-2006, 05:46 AM
I should take and post some pics. But they're so ugly and dirty right now I'd be ashamed to claim ownership. Especially after I ran across the pics Mark Hockett posted of his shop! That's got to be the most organized 400 sq.ft. I've ever seen.

Bill