PDA

View Full Version : O/T Favourite pen/pencil

motorworks
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Way o/t, but..
I do a lot of drawings by hand before I breakout the cad/cam.
Some done in pencil, some in pen.
With so many different types and styles of writing tools today, do you guys/girls have a Favourite?
Let you know what mine is later
eddie

wierdscience
08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I like a good REAL wood #2 lead pencil for scetching and Bic ball point gel ink pens for everthing else,$2.95/10 last a long time.

On a seperate note Sharpie markers are tops for things like SS and plastics and Silver streak layout sticks are great for structural steel layout cause it doesn't wash off like soapstone.

But,wait a minute,since when do you have time to draw anything?Must be pushing for a cushy office job:D

Rustybolt
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
do you guys/girls have a Favourite?

Yeah. The one I can find.

JRouche
08-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Good Ol #2 lead/wood pencil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Ticonderoga

Mechanical pencil.
http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_technico_780_C_gb.Staedtler?ActiveID=33252

And the Sharpie.
http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/allproducts.jhtml

Oh yeah,,,,,this too.....
http://www.pencilrevolution.com/

Pencils (neat page)
http://www.pencilpages.com/articles/index.htm

JRouche

Daminer
08-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Pencil:
Pentel "quicker clciker" .5mm #2 lead

Pen:
Pilot G-2 fine point black

x39
08-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencil.

Fasttrack
08-26-2006, 12:44 AM
I like cartoonists' felt tipped pens - one or three millimeter. They seem to soak in and dry fast so i can't smear it, which is a huge problem because i'm a lefty and hold my writing utencil funky :D

I also like Bic's 7mm mechanical pencils - just the plain simple ones. They seem to work well plus if you loose one or break one its no biggy because they are el'cheapo.

Also look for sharpie "industrial" markers - they work alot better than the normal black ones. They don't wipe off as easy when you write on oily metal and they don't burn off at as low a temperature either. You can follow the line with a plasma cutter and it doesnt disappear.

CCWKen
08-26-2006, 12:47 AM
0.5mm Pentel mechanical pencil. I have three that I've had since about 1976--From back in the days of program coding sheets. :eek:

JRouche
08-26-2006, 01:54 AM
0.5mm Pentel mechanical pencil. ......From back in the days of program coding sheets. :eek:

Is that what you used to punch out the holes in the cards or paper tape???:p:p:p JRouche

Evan
08-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Do you guys/girls have a Favourite?

Yeah. The one I can find.
That's the one.

John Stevenson
08-26-2006, 04:10 AM
One with a sharp point :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/new%20pointer.jpg

lynnl
08-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I don't know if they still make 'em, but one place I worked in AF we used blue Berol #2 pencils. Those were the smoothest writing pencils ever. A real joy to write with they were! ...I haven't seen any in years, but I haven't been looking - maybe I will now, after this reminder.

Actually writing implements are kinda of a sore spot with me here at home. My wife works at a Dr's office, and is always bringing home complementary ballpoint pens. We've got ballpoint pens coming out our a$$. ...everywhere you look there's ballpoint pens. But pick one up and try to write with it and after a couple of squiggles it fails. But no matter how many pencils I sharpen and spread around the house, they seem to immediately disappear.
...I think she's trying to drive me over the edge.

(what am I doing up at 3 in the morning bitching about pencils? ...:D)

Millman
08-26-2006, 06:40 AM
{{But no matter how many pencils I sharpen and spread around the house, they seem to immediately disappear.}} That is funnier than hell, because it happens here too. Sometimes I bring in 3-4 from the shop, you know the kind; where you spend a little more time getting just the perfect point [meant for my paws only], within 2 days they're gone. Always hoping the grandkids and great grandkids don't find them, take off running, and stab themselves in the throat or worse. My wife and I actually LOOK for those things, but they disappear.

Evan
08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
The pencils run off to play with the tape measures. Must be some party.

slowtwitch
08-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Ahhhh, one of my favorite things...pencils :) I actually did a paper for a class in college on pencils. My choice would be the pencil, especially the Dixon "Ticonderoga" Black 1388-2 model. They come painted the common yellow or the newer black paint scheme.

I kinda like the look of the black paint scheme, looks very sleek :) Either one would make a fine addition to a work shop. With their fine looks and feel, to the wonderful composition in the makeup of their erasers. Don't be fooled into thinking all pencils are alike. Some have vastly inferior erasers that tend to smear an error, instead of rubbing out the discrepancy and leaving only a fine residue. Which can then be whisked away with the side of the palm or blown away with a puff of air.

I tend to keep pencils laying in every nook and cranny in my shop. No matter where I'm at in the shop, no matter which way I turn, you will find that amazing, underrated, much maligned pencil. You can have your felt tips and mechanical abortions. These will never replace a superior design, which has been tested with time. Long live the pencil :D

pete

PTSideshow
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
My pen is a parker roller ball, found it while I was sorting the paper trash from the school. Prior to burning it in the boiler. Was given to a teacher as a gift, wasn't even unwrapped. They cleaned the desk drawer out and pitched everything at the end of the year. Its been over 30 years now and I can't count the number of times I have had to chase somebody borrowed the pen down to get it back. They always say they didn't know they put it in their pocket. Had to remove all larger metal and glass bits and bullets. The glass and larger metal bits would srew up the dump grates. It is a 14k gold filled Parker, the only problem is finding refills and the plastic threads on the bottom part are wearing out. So it loosens up.
Pencils, its the pentel .07 or .09 because I press to hard for the small dia. But the big box stores will carry only what they sell a ton off. So its the Bic velocity.09 or papermate top notch grip .09. comes in three packs.
When I can find any pencils I just go to the wifes drawer in the table next to the chair she sits in or either of the her desk drawers and can find any number of the missing pencils. :D

caddy
08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeh
It is funny you should mention that.
I am a retired airline pilot and I had an old mechanical pencil that I took with me all over the world for 39+ years. Nothing special about it other than it was used well and rode through a lot of "exciting moments" in 39 years! It just disappeared one day. Haven't a clue what happened to it.
Oh well. Now it's whats available!
Cheers
Caddy

Wirecutter
08-26-2006, 03:02 PM
The pencils run off to play with the tape measures. Must be some party.
Yeah, I hear it's off in a parallel universe somewhere. Elvis picks them up in the UFO, and they hang out at Big Foot's place.

I like having pencils and Sharpies around. The Sharpie because it's fairly robust and visible, the pencil because it writes reliably in any position. Before I got some layout dye, I might use a Sharpie and a scribe for layout work. I use a couple Steatler-Mars drafting pencils with 2H or 4H lead for some marking and layout work, especially in wood. The 2H is a lot more visible, but not quite as sturdy. These are left over from my old high school drafting class. In the shop, though, I'm not really so picky. It usually boils down to "the one I lay my eyes on first."

For notebooks and ink, I like the Zebra F-301 pen. It feels good in my hand, puts down a nice fine line, and doesn't develop nearly so many "ink boogers" at the point, like so many cheap ballpoints.

These are all basically cheap, easy options. The value of a really nice, expensive, high-quality writing instrument (like Mont Blanc or something) would probably be lost on me.

-Mark

Fasttrack
08-26-2006, 05:49 PM
lmao

What is it about tape measures?? Pencils i can understand - i mean they are small after all...but tape measures? I always am loosing mine and i'm working in a one car garage! i don't understand how it happens...

"Sometimes I bring in 3-4 from the shop, you know the kind; where you spend a little more time getting just the perfect point [meant for my paws only], within 2 days they're gone. "

I keep track of my pencils by putting them in my pocket - incidently thats why i only use the old wooden pencils for lumber projects. If i sharpen the pencil to a point i like, well i put it in my pocket and then i'm walking in pain for the rest of the day.

When you go to take the ACT they don't alow you to use mechanical pencils so i sharpened up a bunch of number twos and put them point up in my pocket, thinking to avoid being pricked in my thigh. Well i have a habbit of putting my hands in my pockets when i'm just waiting...like for them to let us into the testing room. I swear, with no exaggeration, that before i made it into the test room i was bleeding in five different spots from those freakin pencil points - guess i'm a slow learner :)

John Garner
08-26-2006, 07:40 PM
My favorite pen and pencil -- which most days are tucked away so that I have them for special occasions -- are a Chinese-made almost-clone of a Parker 51 fountain pen and an Autopoint "thin lead" mechanical pencil.

I brought the fountain pen home as a souvenir of a trip to China a while back, but it's the smoothest-writing fountain pen I own and has become my favorite.

The Autopoint was "just a pencil" that I used for years and years until I mislaid it. Once it was gone, I realized just how much I like it. When it turned up, I considered it to be re-found treasure. It uses the old-fashion 0.036 inch short lead, which is getting hard to find . . . but a 0.9 millimeter lead shortened to length works just fine.

For day-to-day use, the Pilot Precise liquid-fueled roller ball pen with hemispherical ends is the best pen I've found, while a 0.7 millimeter mechanical pencil loaded with Pentel leads is the pencil of choice.

When it comes to wooden pencils, I like the premium lines. Even their names . . . Dixon Ticonderoga, Eagle Mirado, Eberhardt-Faber Mogul, General Semi-Hex, Venus Velvet . . . bring a bit of pleasure. Most of the old pencil makers are gone now, and frankly I'm not sure that today's Dixon Ticonderoga or Paper-Mate Mirado are really any better than the economy pencils that sell dozens-for-a-US-buck under the "Paper-Mate American" name.

My wife, a kindergarten teacher, goes through wooden pencils at at astonishing rate. The Panasonic electric pencil sharpener she insisted on buying has ended up being one of our best tool buys ever.

John

slowtwitch
08-26-2006, 08:58 PM
lmao

What is it about tape measures?? Pencils i can understand - i mean they are small after all...but tape measures? I always am loosing mine and i'm working in a one car garage! i don't understand how it happens... :)

Being that I'm a week long "Honey Do" vacation, I decided to clean out the garage and basement. Wouldn't you know I found 7 tape measures. Six were 25 footer's. and one 30 ft. It wouldn't be so bad, but, I already have 3 in the tool box :o

pete