PDA

View Full Version : Cold Rolled Steel Availability?

rsr911
08-26-2006, 12:59 AM
Is it just me? My area (northeast Ohio)? or is CRS getting harder to find and more expensive? I used to be able to get it all the time from a local metal dealer but lately no one seams to have it and if they do they want outrageous money for it. I can't stand working with HRS unless I grind off the mill scale which seams to chew up even carbide endmills. Free machining steels seam to be unknown to the local suppliers as well.

I make a drill fixture on my CNC that is used to repair broken exhaust studs on Porsche 911 engines and the last time I needed material I had to special order what used to be a stocked item. Since I work during the day and have to make personal calls during lunch I haven't really looked into the issue as much as I should. Any of your guys having similar problems?

CCWKen
08-26-2006, 01:16 AM
I thought you were going to say CRS as in sheet products. The price of that has been coming down considerably. (Almost half since last year) I can't explain the other forms. Could be it's in higher demand or fewer suppliers.

DryCreek
08-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Last time I bought some, had no problems. Maybe will check tomorrow to see if local supplier has in stock.

wierdscience
08-26-2006, 01:45 AM
I have noticed that certain sizes of Cr 1018 roundbar has gotten dififcult to find,but the price wasn't bad,about $.53/lb last order.

Tinkerer
08-26-2006, 02:20 AM
I don't know what stock sizes your buying and in what quantities. I do know the amount you order in weight does factor in on cost as well as any cut charges if less then full lengths are ordered. That being said I've had no trouble getting stock from Contractors Steel in Twinsburg 1-330-425-3050 call and ask for Larry. And they do deliver.

JRouche
08-26-2006, 02:35 AM
No problems getting CRS here in L.A. County. I buy from Industrial metal supply, best prices around here and free delivery as always. JRouche

rsr911
08-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys,

Tinkerer, I've got a customer up in Twinsburg, I'll have to drop in there sometime and check it out. I ususally buy 1/2-1" in widths up to 10'. I normally buy a 12' piece at a time. The other day one of the guys at work ordered steel for me, a piece of 1018, 1"x8"x72" my jaw dropped when I saw the bill, over $1.25 a pound and we waited a week to get it.

Today I needed to make a fixture and since I couldn't find any CRS for a decent price I bought a drop from a 1" plate of HRS for a good price but I burned up what I thought was a carbide 1" endmill facing it off on my CNC. My mistake I had the RPMs twice as high as they should be and I didn't take the time to grind off the mill scale. Turns out I picked a HSS endmill out of the drawer by accident.

Does Contractors carry 10L18? That's what I really like but it seems hard to find in Akron.

BTW if any of you local guys need AL or SS I've had great luck and service from Clinton Aluminum about 15 minutes south of Akron, http://www.clintalum.com/

Every order I pickup is well wrapped and in perfect condition with no scratches etc. plus the sales and staff are very friendly. I have no affliation, just a happy customer.

I don't mind HRS so much in rounds for my lathe since it's a simple task to clean up the OD on my big Polamco with a TNMG insert. The one product I make on the CNC has to be CRS as I don't face either side and I need a relatively smooth finish.

EDIT: Changed lengths to feet instead of inches, I normally buy 12 feet at a time.

Tinkerer
08-26-2006, 03:45 AM
I've been to their place it's huge.... I say what you'd be getting would be more in the line of drops. They have have a wide selection of steel types.

GRH
08-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I am in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area and get mine from "Speedy Metals"
in New Berlin Wisc. (supberb of Milwaukee) good price , super delivery (UPS)
never had a problem, no cutting charge,
A very happy customer.
eg. order Monday and it's here Wednesday afternoon.

Regards Graeme

rsr911
08-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been to their place it's huge.... I say what you'd be getting would be more in the line of drops. They have have a wide selection of steel types.

Oops, I screwed up and put a " where a ' should have been for the lengths, I normally buy in 12' sections since that's typically the stock size for most metals I've bought.

Tinkerer
08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Well you never know...:D They carry Cold Finished Flats in 12 foot lengths from 1/8" up to 3" thick and 12" wide. Ask them to send you a stock book with your order.

Ken_Shea
08-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Christian,
I have purchased CRS in Mansfield,OH
He is quick to answer emails with quotes.

From,
Jeffrey Nupen
Inside Sales Representative
Benjamin Steel Company
p: 800-542-5355
f:: 419-522-5811
jnupen@benjaminsteel.com