PDA

View Full Version : Practical Machinist.com down again?

John Stevenson
08-26-2006, 06:06 AM
A-gain [ best Forrest Gump voice ]

Don't know if it's uphill from there to here in the UK but that site has been getting slower and slower until now it's stopped.

There was even a thread on it about a week ago where others were saying how slow it had got.

I know Don has to make it pay but since he signed up with American Machinist and the adverts it's just got worse.

Anyone else having problems ?

lynnl
08-26-2006, 06:17 AM
I can't access it either. I'd just registered on that yesterday.

JCHannum
08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
It comes and goes, and Don keeps saying he doesn't have any problems. It is saying gateway timeout right now.

It has been getting increasingly slower, and not always predictably. Sometimes it will open OK, and then take an eternity to go to another thread.

There are apparently also some ads in the banners that are causing problems, and I have had it lock up at times or have to try opening it a couple of times.

I have gotten to the point that I look for a bit and finally leave it when it began taking too long.

IOWOLF
08-26-2006, 08:35 AM
There goes the neighborhood.

Peter S
08-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Its been down for me since Sat am, NZ time. :(

Evan
08-26-2006, 09:47 AM
It died last night, suddenly, as if someone pulled the plug. The server computer is still there and answering a ping request so it seems that the BBS software has been taken offline.

Heh. I wonder if it will end up looking like this BBS? :D :D

Greg Menke
08-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Ahh good to see the Practical Machinist backup forums are online and ready to serve...

;)

Greg

J Tiers
08-26-2006, 10:06 AM
This morning PM is still refusing connections, same as last night.

PTSideshow
08-26-2006, 10:19 AM
It not only PM thats slowing down or not opening. It seems like more and more the sites are taking for ever to open some over 30 seconds and time out on the firefox ticker. Even with this high speed Comsucks connection. Could it be that the only way to clear up this problem is if they start charging. Portal fees to access the sites? some of the talking heads on a news channel where making noise about the lack of a way to charge for the internet again by some companies or people.
Or could it be hack attacks we don't hear about?

nheng
08-26-2006, 10:22 AM
That's what happens when the poor old 386 based server in the back corner also has to control a CNC machine at the same time :D :D

Just joking of course, Don. Hope the site is back up real quick. It's the best site out there where you can get your machining or business questions answered but with an open ear toward HSM'ers. Den

wierdscience
08-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Don was toying with the idea of changing the logo from a Cataract lathe to something else because"it gives the HSM crowd a warm fuzzy feeling" so maybe that's it.

If your reading this Don I would like to suggest a "CNC Diving rod "for the new logo,seems fitting somehow:p:D:D

Milacron of PM
08-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I was getting 'page not found' error page last night, but was getting the same thing on Google as well, so assumed it a problem with my ISP somehow. But now see Google is working but PM is not, plus the chit chat here confirms it's not working for anyone, so have contacted the web host and waiting on further info from them.

I still don't have the first email from anyone telling me it's down, so this site is helpful in letting me know it's sure enough down for everyone....thanks guys !

DryCreek
08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Nice to have confirmation that it's not just my computer, or ISP.

Milacron of PM
08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Web host says they fixed it, but for me at least, instead of 'page not found' I'm getting an eternal 'opening page' situation....but it never actually opens the page.

Is PM working for anyone else here, or are you guys getting a stuck 'opening page' situation as well ?

(as an aside, it's a miracle I'm here to deal with this, as I was supposed to be out of town right now taking my son to the NC School of the Arts, 300 miles away, when at the last minute SWMBO decided they had leave a day early !)

mochinist
08-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Not working for me yet

DryCreek
08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Not loading after about a two minute wait. Will get the page not found message eventually.

edited - I was wrong, after ten minutes it was still trying to load with no success.

nheng
08-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I can ping it ok it but no response in the browser.

Evan
08-26-2006, 12:18 PM
The server computer is operating since it replies to a ping request. The error is "connection reset". This happens if the server is overloaded and cannot respond, is being attacked causing the same result or the BBS server software is crashed and/or otherwise not operating. If the hosting service merely pings the computer they may assume that all is well because it answers. Tell them to try accessing the actual site.
[edit]
In technical terms, the server is not responding to a synchronization packet via TCP/IP which is how a connection is established. Ping uses the ICMP protocol and so isn't affected.

pstephens
08-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Last night when I tried to access the site, I got the "Page not available" page right away. Today, I get the "opening page..." message for several minutes, then "The page cannot be displayed" message.

Evan
08-26-2006, 12:28 PM
The error message you get will depend on your web browser software and the local settings. The default for IE is to hide the real error message.

Todd Tolhurst
08-26-2006, 12:29 PM
In technical terms, the server is not responding to a synchronization packet via TCP/IP which is how a connection is established.

Actually, it is. You can establish a TCP connection to www.practicalmachinist.com on port 80 just fine. You can test this by telnet'ing to www.practicalmachinist.com:80, It simply isn't responding to HTTP requests once the connection is established.

Evan
08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I haven't tried telnet but the end result is the same. At any rate the server software seems to have choked on something. It needs a heimlich maneuver.

Millman
08-26-2006, 01:06 PM
{{It needs a heimlich maneuver.}} Yeah, I know some people like that......Sorry, I was thinking strangulation!

dirty old man
08-26-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm too PC illiterate to discuss this in the terms some of you are using.
But this am when I tried to access @ aaprox 09:00 EDT, I got the "page not found". Now that I have exhausted all of my alternate sites that I also visit and have returned to try PM again at Noon, I get just a loooong hangup of not doing anything but showing the home page of my ISP (bell south).
Dang, talk about withdrawal pains!
Not to belittle this site, as there are some great people here, but a lot less members, hence a lot less traffic to read and comment upon.
Don, if we ever get back up again, I'm gonna write your e-mail into my e-mail address book so I can yell at you when this happens. BTW, thx for the SC sales tax info.
Dave

Rich Carlstedt
08-26-2006, 02:29 PM
For the past several weeks, I have had maybe a 30 percent success rate of getting in..Its only a little better than eBay IMHO..
Rich
I have seriously condidered dropping it off my favorites..only loyalty
prevents that...but that is fading.
Rich

Too_Many_Tools
08-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I too cannot open PM.

I also find your comment about Ebay seldom working of interest....I am on a slow dialup and Ebay is becoming more hassle than it is worth.

Anyone having similar problems with slow dialups?

TMT

DryCreek
08-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Curious? - I have had almost no trouble with Ebay. Normally that site is pretty responsive, as most web sites are. I have noticed that PM is getting slow and have commented in the recent threads. Seems slower when posting a reply to a thread. Pretty fast moving between forums and to a thread.

I am on a DSL line at one Mb/s, so not nearly as fast as some members, but normally very adequate. Use IE and Norton A/V, plus some other security software and those do not seem to slow my system down to any great extent.

topct
08-26-2006, 05:48 PM
"Anyone having similar problems with slow dialups?"

The marketing schmucks are clogging everything up.

All connections will become slower because of it.

J Tiers
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Dialup has NOT been the issue with PM.

One ad requires a macromedia flash plugin, and crashes you if you don't have it. Happens even if you have T1. You get the message that internet explorer cannot continue, and it dumps you. Apparently, when that ad is not "up", you get in, only to crash later.

Curiously, has NOT happened at home on dialup, but I may have a flash player installed.... don't recall, could look and see..... Also use Mozilla, so that could be it also. I have IE at the other location.

And, the slowness has been exactly the same on the T1 as with dialup. Again, not a dialup problem.

rivett608
08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm on a MAC with DSL.... it has opened (but not today) but has been getting slower the last few weeks. I have never clicked on any of the ads. I hope Don has not stepped on his foot by letting the ads in.......

IOWOLF
08-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I bet Adrian can fix it for Don,Just watch out don't let him in the back door. :D

J Tiers
08-27-2006, 12:56 AM
I left Mozilla trying to open it while I went on in a different window. Eventually I got a regular PM screen with a "down for maintenance" notice.

The ads were blinking, and it knew my name, so something else was up.

TUNAMAN
08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
there was early warning it was going to crash so the only two words i have are "VERY ANNOYING":mad:

-TUNAMAN

Peter S
08-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Just managed to get the PM site again, but something keeps shutting down IE on me after a few seconds or minutes....says it is to do with Macromedia Flash, something I don't have.....

Good luck Don, hope you get it all back together soon.

Milacron of PM
08-27-2006, 08:26 AM
PM is back up now. Still near "resource limits" of server.

General Forum has been temporarily disabled, created new General Forum until problem is resolved.

lazlo
08-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Web host says they fixed it, but for me at least, instead of 'page not found' I'm getting an eternal 'opening page' situation....but it never actually opens the page.

That's what I was getting this afternoon (Central Time) at work, but PM seems to be working fine tonight.

Norman Atkinson
08-31-2006, 03:24 AM
I tend to go along with the maxim of " Never Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth" Maybe, it is an ancient Limey Bastard expression but who knows.

One thing is for certain, I am getting sick and tired of wondering when it is going to be up and running reliably.

Each and every day, it is down for part of the time.
I keep wondering how long am I going to be actually bothered to put up with the continual annoyance.

Being a nice guy- well, most of the time- I wonder how long Don is going to put up with having to put money up front- and be just as inconvenienced.

Perhaps those who are responsible for providing such a low level of service should publicly add their comments.

Well????????????

Norm

JCHannum
08-31-2006, 08:38 AM
The site apparently has two different problems.

One is the high useage and storage of back threads has overloaded the General category. Don will probably have to change to another software to handle this.

The other is that apparently some of the advertising banners are causing problems with different users. I know that yesterday, it would lock up on my computer when I tried to access it or open a thread. That is something American Machinist is going to have to address, as it is a problem with their advertisering.

These explanantions may be simplistic, but is as I understand them.

Don may be making some money now that AM is associated, for his sake, I hope so. I doubt it is worth the aggravation he is getting right about now. I hope he and AM can get it sorted out, it is a good site. Right now, it is suffering from it's own success.

lazlo
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Don may be making some money now that AM is associated, for his sake, I hope so. I doubt it is worth the aggravation he is getting right about now. I hope he and AM can get it sorted out, it is a good site. Right now, it is suffering from it's own success.

I think its interesting that Bob, the publisher of AM, is leaving Don to respond to all the threads on PM complaining about the high-bandwidth Flash ads.

You would think the commerical partner would join in and either deny that their ads have anything to do with the server problems, or "explain" why the ads are necessary...

Milacron of PM
08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
I think its interesting that Bob, the publisher of AM, is leaving Don to respond to all the threads on PM complaining about the high-bandwidth Flash ads.

You would think the commerical partner would join in and either deny that their ads have anything to do with the server problems, or "explain" why the ads are necessary...

FWIW, the 'web guy' at Penton Publishing (i.e. AM magazine) did respond to the ad concerns back in the first "PM is slow" thread. But he didn't identify himself as such, so it's understandable you missed his response.

(on edit)

See post from "Dana at AM" here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/24458/2.html?

J Tiers
08-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I still get "IE must close down now" when accessing the site sometimes...

It will persist for a few minutes, making the site unusable, then disappear. I assume it has to do with the ads changing.

It most certainly IS "Macromedia Flash", which I E says I need to update......

That would be fine, except I don't have that program...... maybe it means that one MUST have that to acccess the site due to the one or two adverts that require it.

I have run into a few manufacturer websites that "require" some arcane piece of viewing software to get in. There is amlways another one with the same stuff who does NOT require that, and so I just move on.

Why do people DO that? Is it some sort of "gen-X filter"? Are you just "not kewl enough to see our site" if you don't adopt every new viewing program within minutes of it's release?

Bah.

Anyhow, it's an advert that is the culprit, and it's still doing it.

Evan
08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
JT,

Give this a try. It runs on Win98 and requires no install. It also has no memory so it won't log you in but it seems pretty good. It can run off a USB flashram dongle or even a floppy disk. It's also really small.

http://www.browzar.com/

J Tiers
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Well the "real" computer has mozilla.... This one has IE, and I cannot change that.... not my machine, needs compatibility, etc, etc...

Basically seems not to be MY problem, but some advertisers gonky script.

John Stevenson
08-31-2006, 06:08 PM
JT,
Last night I loaded the Flashblock extension available inside Mozilla.
Since then I can get straight on the PM site, hardly any waiting, no AM adverts and it runs fine.

Evan
08-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Jerry,

That's the entire idea behind Browzar. It doesn't make any changes to the machine and leaves no tracks. No install required, nada. Perfect for a work machine.