PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Refrigerator not working.

garyphansen
08-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Friday I noticed the things in the frezzer of our refrigerator were thawing out. I then noticed that some how the lever in the refrigerator that controls the tempeture had been turned off. I turned back on and the refigerator started back up, problem solved, I thought. Today however, I notice that although the refigerator is running evey thing has thaw out in the frezzer and every thing is warm in the refigerator. Is there any tricks I should know about? Should I be calling a repairman if there is still such a thing, or should I be looking to buy a new refigerator? Gary P. Hansen

J Tiers
08-26-2006, 11:49 PM
In most cases, and I am assuming you do NOT have a large "Sub-Zero" or the like, the fridge is non-repairable. Not that one cannot repair it, but that one won't want to at the price.

If the motor runs, and the box is warm, there just cannot be refrigerant passing through the capillary and expanding.

Why this isn't happening, I don't know. If the capillary were blocked, probably it would stall the pump. Partly blocked, and it would freeze everythng.

Maybe the refrigerant all leaked out due to some unseen damage.

If the coils on the back are insulated by lots of dust, it can also foul up operation, but this sounds more drastic than that. But you might want to check that.

Willy
08-27-2006, 12:07 AM
It's very possible that the timer for your defrost cycle is not funtional.If you have a self-defrosting fridge there will be a timer motor that cycles the fridge to go into defrost mode at predetermined intervals,if the timer fails the symptoms that you describe are usually present.They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Pull the fridge away from the wall and look at the wiring schematic and you should be able to see it there,if you are at all comfortable with minor repairs of this nature you will soon see that it isn't rocket science.Good luck

fixxit
08-27-2006, 12:12 AM
The evaporator coils in the freezer section could be frozen solid with ice.
The ice is an insulator, and it prevents the circulation of air across the coils.

Shut the unit down, let it defrost and drain for 24 hours and then restart it.

J Tiers
08-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Yah... self defrosting..... that would surely do it if stuck......

I knew I didn't like those for a good reason.....

Steve Steven
08-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Gary,
I think there are several repairable things that can be causing your problem. I just had a problem with my side-by-side and fixexed it. I bought a $10 electronic book from Harry Raper ( http://www.appliance-repair.org/index.htm ) manual 7 and 7a, they were helpful.

Steve

Mike Burdick
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Gary,

This may not solve your problem but it is important to clean the dust away from the coils.

I’m told that models with the coils on the back need them cleaned at least once a year and models with coils underneath near the compressor need to be cleaned at least twice a year.

To clean my refrigerator, I’ll bring it outside where I can use a leaf blower to remove the dust. This really does make a difference, as the compressor will run a lot less.

Mike W
08-27-2006, 01:34 AM
I had a problem once with the defrost not working which caused it to ice up the coils and not cool. There were 2 high wattage resistors near the coils. They are in series and one was open. A replacement was fairly cheap at a parts store.

menace
08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Back in 93, I bought a house with a refrigerator in it. A nice, clean, double door that looked "new". In 98 when I had bought this house and had that house on the market, the refrigerator did just what yours did! I called a repairman up and he asked me the serial # , said he could jump something for $XX, no garuntees, but that my clean refrig was made in 1967!!!!!
My point is unless you bought it new, find out how old it is befor you spend a dime on it! One other thing, I have a thin hose I "used to use" to vacumn the dust and dirt fununda the fridge without pulling it out, no more! When I pulled it out for the new one, there was a 6" circle of krisp black and crunchy linolium right under where the motor was !!! Freaked me out! How close was it to igniting the floor? And to think these get cheeper by the day! Made that is!

Steve

thistle
08-27-2006, 07:54 AM
damn, I was going to post the same thing, my stupid refrigerator has started the same thing !
still googling though -no conclusionsyet.

wierdscience
08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
My money is on the defrost timer,I have a Maytag fridge(they suck BTW)and it gos through one every couple years.
Last time I took the timer apart and found the contacts stuck together,picked them apart and sanded them clean,so far knock on wood it hasn't missed a beat.

yf
08-28-2006, 01:39 AM
If the defrost timer is good, then check the defrost thermostat.
If the thermostat went bad, ice buildup may have destroyed the defrost heater coil assembly.

This is usually a glass tube with a thin Ni-chrome wire coil in it sealed at the ends.
Be careful not to get shocked. If the glass is broken and bathed in defrost, current can pass to metal parts etc.

Use a turkey baster with hot water to defrost quickly.

jkilroy
08-28-2006, 11:15 AM
I have about 15 rental units and I guess that I have at least one fridge in the shop at ALL times. I kid you not. These new ones I am buying, and I admit they are not high dollar units, just suck. If I get three years out of one I would be shocked. If you have an internal leak bring it to the landfill, there is no fixing it. Never had a defrost timer go bad, at least not yet.

Willy
08-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I have about 15 rental units and I guess that I have at least one fridge in the shop at ALL times. I kid you not. These new ones I am buying, and I admit they are not high dollar units, just suck. If I get three years out of one I would be shocked. If you have an internal leak bring it to the landfill, there is no fixing it. Never had a defrost timer go bad, at least not yet.

I would suspect the reason you haven't had a defrost timer go bad is because they usually last longer than three years.I agree though they don't build them like they used to,Ive got a fridge in the shop that was built in the early sixties and with few excptions has been running ever since,all I do for it is defrost it twice a year and plug it in.It may not be energy efficient but then again how efficient is dumping one in the landfil every three years.Everybody calls the old girl a relic....sure wish I could buy a new one just like it for the house.

garyphansen
08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks Guys! It is fixed now, running and cooling down. The problem was a bad starter for the compresser. Gary P. Hansen

J Tiers
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Today however, I notice that although the refigerator is running evey thing has thaw out in the frezzer and every thing is warm in the refigerator.

You must have been hearing the fan..... ;)