PDA

View Full Version : Volstro Rotary Head - Directions?

BadDog
08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I just bought a Volstro Rotary Head. Very good condition with all the parts, but no paperwork and I have no idea how to use it beyond the obvious. Any pointers or web resources? I’m told it’s much like the Bridgeport Cherrying Head, just smaller...

Looks just like this, though I didn't pay near that for it. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&item=160021065732&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) Trying to decide if I should keep it, or ebay it to get some cash for other tools.

Millman
08-28-2006, 07:50 AM
BD, that depends on how often you would be using. A lot of those attachments might only be used for special jobs and then sit in the box for several yrs.. Personally, I would invest in cutters instead. You know, a man can never have enough cutter toys.

BadDog
08-28-2006, 08:02 AM
That's why I'm thinking of ebaying it. I got a lot less than the typical ebay prices in this thing, and it's very clean and complete, sans instructions. I picked it up along with a nice Troyke ~14" V/H rotary and a Wilton 3 axis vise. I expect if I sell the Volstro, I'll have the other 2 for free with some change in my pockets to boot. Just trying to decide what to do, and I need to know what it WILL do to make a decision.

I also looked at the cherrying head again, no way this thing will match a "T" head. Those things look very interesting, but I think I would like the shaper head better and use it more... Or maybe a horizontal attachment?

recoilless
08-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd be interested in buying it...!!

lane
08-28-2006, 10:35 PM
A machinist is suppose to know how to use it . an mam is it nice when you need it . Use mine all the time . more handy than the rotary table lots of times.

BadDog
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
A machinist is suppose to know how to use it.
Hmm, to my knowledge I've never claimed to be a machinist. In fact, I barely rate a "beginner" status. :D

So, how is it that you find it so useful? Is it just because you don't have to hoist a 150lb rotary onto the table, then having to "dial in" every time you want to go back square to the table travel? If that's it, I've got an 8" Manex Horiz rotary along with a very nice 12" Troyke V/H rotary, so I could sell this and probably never miss it. I can see it as a rare convenience, but being so rarely needed (in my ignorant estimation) I don't see it as worth my capital investment and space alocation...

But is there more?

Ian B
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Could the advantage be that the work doesn't need to rotate? May be handy if you want to work on a long piece that's better off clamped to the table than having it swinging in an arc on a rotary table and maybe fouling the column.

Or for machining radii around multiple centres, which would require constantly resetting on a rotab. Rounding corners on a rectangle, for instance.

Maybe I need one after all...

Ian

japcas
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey Baddog. Anyway you can contact the seller of the other one to find out the email address of the buyer and contact him to offer to buy a copy of the instructions from his? It may be a long shot but it might be worth a try. By the way, a shaper attachment in my opinion would be more useful but if you had the room and didn't mind to spend the money on something that will just be used occasionally then I'd keep it. It does look handy. Good luck.

Spin Doctor
08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Personally I have to admit I would prefer to have a Kearney & Trecker Rotary Head Mill for doing this stuff but then I wuld like to have something like a Hass MIni Mill too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROTARY-HEAD-TOOL-DIE-30-x-16-MILLING-MACHINE-DRO_W0QQitemZ290018146890QQcmdZViewItem

Nice heavy duty mill compared to a BP but it also has draw backs in terms of cutter to table, ease of drilling etc.

lazlo
08-31-2006, 12:47 AM
I just bought a Volstro Rotary Head. Very good condition with all the parts, but no paperwork.

It's basically an rotating quill used for cutting circular t-slots, or circular cuts with a die sinker.

I'd be interesting in buying it if you decide not to keep it.

Robert

lazlo
08-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Personally I have to admit I would prefer to have a Kearney & Trecker Rotary Head Mill for doing this stuff.

Yeah, VersaMill Brian has one of those K&T rotaries, and it's gorgeous.

http://images.andale.com/f2/102/108/16114983/1145602887737_1149755597827_03A.jpg