PDA

View Full Version : Tall vmc, Low doorway

rlevin
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Greetings all,

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get a small vmc under a 68 inch garage door?

I realize that this depends on the particular vmc, but I am hoping that someone can steer me to one that won't be too hard to disassemble, or tilt, to get into the garage.

Ideally, a machine with xyz of at least 20 x 15 x 15 is sought. An atc is strongly desired. The plan is to make many good parts for years, so lightweight hobby and converted knee mills are not attractive.

Thank you for your help.

SGW
08-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I think you ought to be able to pivot the head 90 degrees to horizontal, which would give you plenty of vertical clearance. Or take the motor off.

Milacron of PM
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Just over 5 1/2 feet is ridiculously low for a garage door opening, such that since you mention doing this for years, I would seriously consider spending the money to cut and reframe the opening (and new door of course) to at least 7 feet, not just for this machine, but for other reasons as well. If you have the ceiling height, I'd go all the way to 8 feet opening height...which is what I specify on new construction garages.

Mark Hockett
08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
rlevin,
You would really need to know what VMC. I moved a Fadal 15XT under an 81" door with no problem. I just needed to remove the Z axis servo motor, air filter and fan on the spindle motor and the conduit to the spindle motor.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/move3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/move1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/move2.jpg

Some of the Mini Mills like the Haas or Sharp might go under a 68" door and they can be moved with a pallet jack.

JPR
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Did you mean 68 or 86", the latter being about average. As was said, on a Bridgeport or clone, just tilt the head sideways.

Do check your ceiling clearance if your looking at one of the larger mills. Mine had to be repositioned since the door and opener would not clear the top of the motor.

japcas
08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
You do want to make sure and find out what the maximum machine height will be because the z axis motor usually travels up and down with the head. So just because you make it throught the door doesn't mean that the z axis motor won't end up in your upstairs bedroom floor while operating.:( Good luck and let us know what you get just in case we need any complicated parts made cheap.

Milacron of PM
08-29-2006, 04:12 PM
So just because you make it throught the door doesn't mean that the z axis motor won't end up in your upstairs bedroom floor while operating .

I know a guy in Maine who has a 12,000 lb Mazak machining center in his "basement" and made a special cutout in the ceiling just for that reason ! His Z axis servo goes up into a closet in his bedroom during tool changes ! :)

wierdscience
08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
You can gain another 3" or so if you set the machine down on some 1" squarebar rails and push or pichbar the machine in,a little grease makes it easier.

I believe John S. uses this method also.